cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CHARM Configuration

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dears,

I am configuring CHARM for my solman 7.0 server.

In Configurtion there are some TMS related tasks.

1-Activating extended transport control

2-Activating TMS trusted service

3-Activaing Single transport.

But I am not getting purpose of processing these steps what will be the effects of these tasks n currently configured TMS.

Please suggest funtion of these activities.

Deepak

Edited by: Deepak Mittal on Jan 14, 2009 5:19 AM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

ginnyzhou
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

1-Activating extended transport control

This refers to TMS paramemter 'CTC=1' which means the transport routes related to this system should be specified to client level not only system level.

<--The reason why ChaRM needs this configuration because ChaRM uses CTS projects to collect and manage the transport requests and CTS projects based on client level. With this control, your change will be tracked in a very clear way. Of course you sacrified some flexiblity, but you gain the stability and traceability for your change management.

2-Activating TMS trusted service

With this activation, no logon screen will be popped up when the imports are performed via change transactions.

<--This is the configuration for simplifying the daily operations when you're using ChaRM.

3-Activaing Single transport.

For the default settings of 'single transport' strategy, if transport requests are imported not via 'import all', then the transport requests will NOT remain in the buffer and will be NOT imported again when the 'import all' is executed.

--> Actually this will be a little confused as SAP's best practice is to use the 'mass transport' strategy instead of 'single transport' strategy to ensure the consistency. The reason why we need to set it to single transport is because we have this ChaRM tools which use 'import project', 'import subset' to import the changes and will handle the import buffer by the tool-self to ensure the consistency during the change management. So no need to worry about the violation with SAP Best practice:-P

Hope my explanation will be clear to you.

The required configuration always has its good reason to be required:-)

Former Member
0 Kudos

It won't work unless your TMS has things like client specific transport routes and the single transport strategy.

Why did SAP do it that way? Not sure.

Why do you have to do it? To get ChaRM to work.

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

this might be of some help...it tell al the step and tms config for charms

/people/dolores.correa/blog/2008/07/26/first-steps-to-work-with-change-request-management-scenario

Regards

Prakhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

ChaRM is used as a change control tool in landscape according to business processes defined in your landscape. TMS configured is used to implement changes requested towards production environment through transport request. This make easy in controlling changes and to track record about change.

Once you configure and activate charm there will be restriction on releasing request manually. you will not able to release request but can release tasks related to it through SE01 (experts correct me if i am wrong). If you are implementing ChaRM then you need to reconfigure TMS system according to business change workflow. Ideally itu2019s recommended to use solution manager as a domain controller.

If you have any specific queries then please post them.

Thanks,

Regards,

Swapnil Lakhe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Swapnil,

Thanks for reply.

I am using three system landscape DEV,QAS,PRD of ECC6.

DEV is our domain controller.

Now i have gone through all activties required for CHARM like

Activating Extended transport Control and creating domain link now as i understood no changes will be made in existing TMS of our three system landscape.

You mentioned:

you need to reconfigure TMS system according to business change workflow. Ideally itu2019s recommended to use solution manager as a domain controller.

I am not getting reason of reconfigure TMS of existing TMS of our three system landscape as from tasks i am thinking these are only to change some properties of TMS and for to use solution manager as a domain controller you mean to say that for solman should be domain controller for our three system landscape or as DEV is already domain controller so what should be done for that.

If possible please share some document.

Deepak Mittal