cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UDS 4.0.3.19 and RSLinx Classic 2.50.00.20 (CPR7) Only see 10 topics

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

We have configured the UDS to see the RSLinx server and when I create a tag query, I only see the first 10 RSLinx topics in the Available Groups.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

--Amy Smith

--Haworth

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

For performance reasons the list of tags is limited to a row count of 250 (which I am assuming gets you into the 10th topic from RSLinx), so you can use the mask field in the WB to provide the patterns for listing chunks of tagnames for selection.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hmm:

When I do the URL with Mode=GroupList&RowCount=1000 I don't see all the topics that exist in RSLinx and it is a different list than inside the query as it shows nesting of Groups. When I use Mode=TagList, I don't see any tags. The topics in RSLinx are not all configured properly, but the one I need is working. Argh... Not exactly easy, eh?

The PLC does work. BridgeWorx shows the tag as "RSLinx OPC Server\[TestSPD2]N9:5". BridgeWorX is on a different server with a different RSLinx(same version), to the same PLC as the UDS. TestSPD2 is the topic.

So what could be going wrong? No masks or aliases.

--Amy Smith

--Haworth

Edited by: Amy Smith on Jan 13, 2009 3:59 PM

Edited by: Amy Smith on Jan 13, 2009 3:59 PM

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The Mode=GroupList query should give you a parent child dataset that equates to the graphical tree view that you'll see in the editor, which I assume are the differences you mentioned.

With a direct PLC communication through an OPC-DA provider like RSLinx you get a few less than desirable options (aside from only getting live snapshot Current Mode only values of course):

1. Hideous tagnames

2. No meta data (like min/max range, description, datatype)

3. A gazillion tag names that equate to every register (used or otherwise) and all imaginable bit patterns in a word, etc. A bit unwieldy...

Have you looked into the alias capabilities of the UDS? This would be a quick way to see what you're dealing with down at the UDS level itself, and when put into use would allow you to provide the mapping between friendly groups and tags and the tagname that RSLinx is exposing. When the UDS is put into alias mode the GroupList and TagList request are controlled by the UDS and when it comes time for data retrieval from the real tag it handles the mapping.

In the UDS, what is your Force flat namespace setting?

Former Member
0 Kudos

............... Some choice words go here ....... LOL

Force flat namespace is false.

Some progress:

We cleaned up the RSLinx topics (equates to groups in UDS?) and now I can see my paint PLC

and its tags. TagList shows the tags and GroupList shows the groups.

--> Now when I run the Tag Query (Current) it doesn't return any rows, but does return the rowsets for the tags.

-

Alias----

I added an alias setup by doing the following:

1. In the alias editor:

...Added a group

...Added an item to that group that was copied from the Browse panel

...I noticed that there is no data type on the item and it is not red.

...Saved the alias (I am assuming this puts the UDS Server into "alias mode")

2. In the UDS Admin console

...Restarted the UDS server

3. In MII Admin

...Disabled, then enabled the MII Data Server

4. In the workbench

...Created a new query.

---> I still see all the groups and tags in the query tag details

Argh...

--Amy Smith

--Haworth

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You'll have to enable Aliasing in the Cache Mode setting in the UDS Admin console. Take a look in the help under the SAP xMII UDS...Cache Properties section for descriptions of the 2 Alias options.

BTW - since the MII owned Data Server that points to the UDS is not a maintained connection, once you've done your Alias changes and restarted the UDS all you should have to do on the MII WB query side is refresh (no need to disable/reenable the data server).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yay, thanks, aliases are working. I would never have thought that cache control would flip an alias switch. That might be something good to put in the doc's Alias section...

I am still not getting any rows returned.

--Amy Smith

--Haworth

former_member202228
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Amy,

As you might know already I have also an issue with RSLinx 2.54 & UDC 4.0.3, First no tags comming out in Alias browsing, now I can see the tags at least in the query template applet, but no values. In short the same situation as yours.

I tried to play with the type of the tags in the PLC and right now, I can see "some" values only for tags of DINT type. For Real & Boolean tags I get only the rowset out of the query template (Timestamp, Tagname).

Hopefully someone knows how these value conversions are done (in an automatic way) and can point us in the right direction.

Paul.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the input Paul. My tags are signed ints and we will not be changing that. I am pursuing some other avenues for answers. I'll keep this topic updated!

--Amy Smith

--Haworth

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Make sure you fully populate the Alias section (description, min/max, datatype) and then set the Cache Mode to: Alias.

This way all of the namespace browsing for groups / tags will come from the UDS aliasing mechanism, then only when the actual value for a given tag goes out through the OPC Server.

Regards,

Jeremy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Jeremy,

Changing from UDS mode of "Alias with Dynamic Meta Data" to simply "Alias" and filling in the alias information works great. I can read and write to the PLC now.

Whew!

Hope this helps Paul.

--Amy Smith

--Haworth

Answers (0)