cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resource error. No batch process available. Process terminated

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

One of the BW process chains was in error, and we got the error message as 'Resource error. No batch process available. Process terminated'.

There are about 20 batch processes including all application servers & 78 dialog processes.

1. Is there any way to check whether all batch processes were being used at that time??

2. And how to know how many we need to increase?

Regards,

Kunal.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai,

The error clearly mentions that you have ran out of Batch processes.

Check the below link....

/thread/947686 [original link is broken]

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/EN/c4/3a5ef8505211d189550000e829fbbd/frameset.htm

If this happens at night times or in any specific time then you can use Operation modes to convert some Dialog work process into Background workprocess. This will help in scheduling more jobs in any particular server.

Since you have 78 dialog wps then you can use operation modes effectively during night times.

Increasing is not actually needed because operation modes will help. If you have already configured operation modes and getting the same problem then you can increase the processes. But this depends on the resources left in your system for example., RAM,MAIN MEMORY..

Check the below links on Tuning work process.....

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/sap-on-db2/tuning-the-number-of-work-processes-13029

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/sap-on-db2/tuning-the-number-of-work-processes-part-ii-13173

Regards,

Yoganand.V

Edited by: Yoganand Vedagiri on Jan 13, 2009 7:50 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Agree with vedagiri,

Before, I would have check whether my all Work process are waiting for the same resource which may have problem, for this we need to analyze all log's etc Work process log, gateway log, RFC log, system log.

Regards,

Sreenivas .Y

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

The problem is that if I check in SM51--> application server, and then I click on the CPU icon, or I do CtrlShiftF6, then I see that all dialog processes are showing time more than zero...This indicates that there is no dialog process which is not used at all...So suppose if I convert some dialog to background using operation modes, will it not cause a problem for the dialog porcesses??

Thanks & Regards,

Kunal.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai,

You can use operation modes to enhance background processing when the system load is less, i.e., the users are less (no dialog wp utilization). That is why we use operation modes to switch some dialog wps into background wp in the nights since more background jobs will be scheduled during nights;say from 10:00pm to 6:00am.

Normally there should be atleast 2 dialog wp free in the system for normal operation.

So in your case if you are getting the 'Resource error. No batch process available. Process terminated' in nights or in some specific times in daytime then you can configure operation modes without any hesitation. This will not cause any harm to dialog wps because after configuring operation modes in your system; say for example you are switching 20 of your 78 dialog wp to background wp at 10 pm. Now exactly at 10 pm the system will not switch all the 20 dialog wp into background wp unless they are free.

If the system finds any dailog wp running some user context then it waits until it finishes the job assigned to it and then switches them to background wp. The same applies when switching back to Dialog wp in the morning, i.e., at 6 am.

Please find the link below.....

http://www.saptechies.com/setting-up-operations-modes-2/

Good luck.

Regards,

Yoganand.V

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I got your point, but still if I want to understand how many processes to be converted from dialog to background through the operation mode switch, what should I do?

Thanks & Regards,

Kunal.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai,

It depends upon the load on the server, try doing with 10 and then if you find the need from some more then anytime you can increase the no.of wps. You can find the Configuration document easily if you google.

Also find the link in my previous post for configuring operation modes.

Regards,

Yoganand.V

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Yoganand,

Thanks once again.

I configured operation modes and tomorrow will come to know whether our problem is solved.

But I would like to ask one more thing. Does the operation mode do any change to the rdisp/max_wp_runtime parameter?

Thanks & Regards,

Kunal.

Former Member
0 Kudos

> Does the operation mode do any change to the rdisp/max_wp_runtime parameter

no

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks.

Just want to confirm one more thing...Surprisingly I did not need to restart the system after configuring the operation modes!!! Is it no restart required??

Thanks & Regards,

Kunal.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai,

You dont need to restart, all taken care by the SAP system.

Good luck.

Regards,

Yoganand.V

Former Member
0 Kudos

you can change the opmode directly in rz03 (menu control) or maintain the time table in sm63.

If you want to start with a different set of wp, you have to maintain the profile. At system startup, the assignment of wp to the different types like dia, btc and so on, only depends on the profile. I'm not sure when the dispatcher switches the wp to match the opmode, might be some minutes (autoabap-time)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Colin4
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

you have increased the number of batch processes.

Below you can check the recommended adjustments to the Data Store obj

parameters in transaction RSODSO_SETTINGS.

1) maximum package size (for activation)

This you should reduce to 10000. Then the package processing would

be less time consuming.

2) maximum wait time for process (for activation)

This is currently set to 300 and could be increased e.g. to 600

3) button "change process parameters"

here the activation is set to be run in backround (which is also

adviced by SAP).

If you want the processes to run in backround, you may have to

increase the amount of batchjobs available in your system. Otherwise

the activation can not run in parallel if there are no batchjobs

available. This could also occur because there are other programs

using batchjobs also.

Please check these settings and reactivate the DSO.

Also, there is some notes that can help you:

1118205 - RSODSO_SETTINGS Maintain runtime parameter of DataStore obj.

(In this notes is mentioned more instructions + 2 notes:

25528 - Parameter rdisp/max_wprun_time

192658 - Setting parameters for BW systems)

0024092 - Distribution of background jobs on application

regards,

Colin Moloney

Former Member
0 Kudos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Your Basis team can use CCMS to set an alert for when your system wide background processes fall below a certain point. If there's anyone available to check the system when the alert comes in you may get a better idea of how to balance your WPs.