cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request for Clarification

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have been looking some strange things happening with me..

1 .Detected 100 point by the moderator for the coping the contents from Other web sites. It should be rather detecting the points for that post.

2. Answered the thread with different solution then i got the mesage from moderator 'Do not answer questions that have been asked and answered many many times' and reject my post and where has awarded point to some other posts for the same thread. If the moderator can reject my post then why should other get the point on the thread as no one specified to search in SCN. It should be same for all.

3. Answered the thread and got awarded with the point later they got deducted and could not find the thread what would be the reason for this.

thanks

Avinash

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member181995
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Avinash,

Detected 100 point by the moderator

Itu2019s not true. I donu2019t see you got detected 100 points by any of mods.

was I miss something with my Hawkeye?

But yes some of your posts were disappear, but if you look closely in same thread which Julius gave the example who got the 10 poi'nts and 6 ponts? And Why?Why they didnt assing you? Did you notice what was the reason for them to got rewa'rd by mods?

Hope you understand well what Iu2019m trying to say.

Cheers,

Amit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Amit,

I agree what you have said...but i have received the email regadring the dedcution of 100 points from this mail id sapnetworkmai id ...you can find the below subject and content,

Subject: Re: Need to implement enhancement (BAdI)

Cut and paste from here: "http://www.sapdevelopment.co.uk/enhance/enhance_badi.htm" Cut and paste is dishonest and not tolerated. Simply modifying a couple of words isn't sufficient to make it your own work. 100 points deducted.

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is pretty clear that the solution is not to copy&paste. No doubt about that...

I know that there is increasingly strict moderation of plagarism and copy&pasting, and have myself removed points for it in those threads (is some had been assigned).

This looks like a step further now coming from "upstairs".

We can debate for a long time - but obviously not copy&pasting is the only way to resolution.

Cheers,

Julius

former_member181995
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok,Than might be you will lost 100 points soon.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have lost it Amit.

Yes Julius..i agree with what you said...but deducting 100 points for this reason is my question. There should be marginal amout of point to be deducted.

I will never repeat this mistake againg,

Good learing from this ...Thanks a lot.

former_member181995
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mate,

Please never mind, Keep your efforts up.ABAP forums must need many person like you.

I can assure you if you keep your efforts in fair way and let suggest people for searching, Late but sure Julius will assign you more than 100 points back.

I appreciate if you learn.

Cheers,

Amit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Amit & Julius.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Avinash,

Thanks for asking about your doubts and I am glad that we clarified it.

Please also mention this to friends and colleagues you know who use SDN. This will be a big help, as often the rules are broken due to misunderstandings, or not imagining that SDN would enforce certain quality standards in the forums, or even have rules, or even misinterpreting the purpose of the forums completely (for example, to practice answering interview questions...

But others do intentionally break the rules as well, unfortunately.

Thanks again,

Julius

former_member205352
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

These copy paste,link farms etc happens big time in BI forum too.

I wonder if somebody(moderators) can take care of that too.

I find very less (except Jan 12 where there was storm of locks) such threads locked or deleted till now.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I can tell you that moderating is not always very nice nor easy. Makes me feel a bit like a school teacher sometimes (I vowed against that at an early age) but when I look at the Business Cards they are often adults.

I think there are a lot of misunderstandings, and posts like this from Avinash are worth gold (also to the moderators) to understand where these might be coming from.

Having said that, the "storm of locks" you mentioned was indeed a points-gamer which we deleted, together with all the fake ID's and all the points.

As mentioned above, please be selective about which questions you answer and contribute to.

If someone asks a question like "What is a connector and which types are there?" and they have 100 questions (98 unresolved) or (0 unresolved but all points to 1 other person) .... => go figure what will come of it...

Intervention by a moderator to confront them and investigate their ID's is the least worste option in such cases.

That would be my advise.

Cheers,

Julius

GauthamV
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Avinash,

If you can recollect i have already mentioned in so many posts that not

to do this copy and paste work ,particularly for posts which violate the rules.

Anyways i hope you will follow the rules from now .

@ Julius,

How about using this thread in Abap forums sticky so that some

more quality can be expected.

Cheers,

gautham

former_member205352
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I have one small doubt, does this abuse button send mails to concerned moderators of the forum about the problem( I mean not real abuse but these copy pastes,link farms etc).

or

Can't there be a "Notify Moderator" button, which sends mail to only the concerned forum moderator.

Believe me this can make life of the moderators a bit easy.

I agree :

I can tell you that moderating is not always very nice nor easy. Makes me feel a bit like a school teacher sometimes (I vowed against that at an early age) but when I look at the Business Cards they are often adults.

But its all you people efforts which raises the forum Quality and I appreciate that and so will everyone( I feel ).

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Julius

Julius wrote

I can tell you that moderating is not always very nice nor easy.

100% correct Julius and the job what you are doing is not at all an easy job. You are doing a commendable job and I should salute for that.

Always there should be some discipline among forum members itself and by that culture only, the forum can improve in a long run.

thanks

G. Lakshmipathi

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> I have one small doubt, does this abuse button send mails to concerned moderators of the forum about the problem( I mean not real abuse but these copy pastes,link farms etc).

> or

> Can't there be a "Notify Moderator" button, which sends mail to only the concerned forum moderator.

>

> Believe me this can make life of the moderators a bit easy.

>.

Both.

The reported messages with the comments go into a queue (like a log) where the moderators who check the log for their forums can see them.

We can then either reject it (automatically sends nasty mail as well to the person who made the post), or edit it, or approve it (let it pass).

So you can also use the Abuse Reports to "notify" the moderators of something, and then they can look into it. It is not only for deleting posts.

But obviously it is not suitable for sending Christmas Cards Rather send the mod a mail.

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> Always there should be some discipline among forum members itself and by that culture only, the forum can improve in a long run.

>

100% with you as well: that is the ideal approach and some forums work this way.

Moderators hardly ever need to intervene.

Cheers,

Julius

former_member205352
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok I ve been using it but not much help.

eg:

Check this thread :

[Study Links |;

Does this qualify as an rules conforming thread ?

Rules Violation :

1) The person posting this didnot search the forum.

2) The responders puts in lots of crap ( I mean links not content).

3) Link Farms.

This is just an example thread.There are many such.

Siggi and Arun used to take care of some but now a days its just too much I believe.

And I cannot think of a good time solution as well than making people aware of using abuse button.

Edited by: Praveen G on Jan 14, 2009 3:15 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

How about shaving 100 points off them for each time they ignore a warning not to do this?

That should catch their attention...

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>How about shaving 100 points off them for each time they ignore a warning not to do this?

I guess we are gonna see people ending with -ve points soon.

Jai

jurjen_heeck
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I guess we are gonna see people ending with -ve points soon.

Even worse, we'll end up with thickheads taking pride in having a negative score

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> > I guess we are gonna see people ending with -ve points soon.

>

> Even worse, we'll end up with thickheads taking pride in having a negative score

Actually, that is an idea worth thinking about seriously.

We lock their ID so that they cannot change their display name, assign negative points depending on how sever the offenses were - and leave it in the forums, instead of guestification ...

Here is a candidate =>

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> We lock their ID so that they cannot change their display name, assign negative points depending on how sever the offenses were - and leave it in the forums, instead of guestification ...

> Cheers,

> Julius

Since moderators have an 'M' icon beside there name and mentors have a '!' and SAP emplyess have an SAP logo beside their name, why not put a dunce cap icon (or someting suitable) beside gamers names.

Rob

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Brilliant. Who will start a design logo wiki page with illustrations. Best cap wins

former_member184657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

ok so how about the [pac-man hat|http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2061/2200535847_21dac69e35.jpg] or the [evil hat|http://media.herald-dispatch.com/blog/games/uploaded_images/CutmanHat-709569.jpg] ?

pk

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Avinash,

Perhaps you are refering to what happens to questions such as "[What is Table Maintenance Generator?|; ?

My advise would be more selective about which threads you answer and whether they are sufficiently in violation of the rules that they will be deleted or locked.

These are part of our efforts to improve the quality of the posts in the forums, encourage searching before asking very basic questions, and stop the link-farming and copy&pasting from help.sap.com as well as external websites.

Cheers,

Julius