cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Devices

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would like to understand what are the various types of mobile devices that are available in the market? How does one device compare over the other (ex. blackberry vs PDA)? Can we run any scenario in any device or there are restrictions in certain devices? Is there any device in which we could run all scenarios?

thanks

anantharam

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Anantharam,

PDAs with Windows Mobile professional (touchscreen) run all mobile scenarios available from SAP.

Regards,

Veera

Edit:

Additional info

Blackberrys are smartphones / PDA phones - These devices currently do not have enough storage, physical RAM, full blown JVM runtime to support all scenarios.

Windows Mobile Classic / Professional Touch Screen PDAs can be either simple pda (without phone features Win Mo Classic)/ PDA phones (with phone features - Win Mo Professional).

There are Windows Mobile Standard edition smartphones available without touchscreen. These are limited devices which do not run most of the apps designed for Windows Mobile touchscreen PDAs.

Regards,

Veera

Edited by: Veeraraagavan R on Jan 13, 2009 6:59 AM

Edited by: Veeraraagavan R on Jan 13, 2009 7:05 AM

Edited by: Veeraraagavan R on Jan 13, 2009 7:06 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Veera,

Sorry if my question is silly. You have mentioned Blackberry is a smartphone/PDA but you say that it has not enough store capacity. If I have to recommened a device to a customer which one should I recommend?

thanks

anantharam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Anantharam,

It depends on the infrastructure they already have and also on the scenarios they want to implement.

If they want to implement mobile offline or mostly disconnected scenarios like xMAM, xMTT, xMDSD, xMSA HH then you should advice them to either go for Windows Mobile PDAs.

Regards,

Veera

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Veera,

So I understand we cannot recommend Blackberry for running standard SAP mobile application? In case I go for a custom solution what should I recommend? In case there is a requirement where in the mobile user would be just doing approvals, what should I recommend?

Also it would be good if you could give me the specification for the device to operate each scenario.

thanks

anantharam

Edited by: Anantharam Subramanian on Jan 13, 2009 7:23 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Was trying to edit previous post, but got error, so I am posting a new one:

Dear Anantharam,

It depends on the infrastructure they already have and also on the scenarios they want to implement.

If they want to implement mobile offline or mostly disconnected scenarios like xMAM, xMTT, xMDSD, xMSA HH then you should advice them to either go for Windows Mobile PDAs (edit->) with phones / Windows Mobile PDAs without phones.

Generally for all Mobile Scenarios - Custom/ Standard - We can classify as below:

For non rugged / non barcode/non rfid requirements we can suggest the HTC PDA Models such as:

HTC Kaiser -TyTn II/ AT&T Tilt

HTC Athena - Advantage 7510

HTC Blackstone - Touch HD

For Rugged usage / barcode /RFID scenarios we can suggest Windows Mobile devices from Symbol (Motorola) / Intermec / Psiontek

Regards,

Veera

Edit: Just Ensure that the devices have at least 400Mhz processor and at least 128MB RAM and 256MB ROM

Edit2:

HTC is the ODM(Original Device Manufacturer) for most of the famous non rugged PDA phones. These include T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T, Vodafone rebranded PDAs of its original line. There are other specific branded devices like Palm Treo Pro and Sony Xpreria X1 which were also manufactured by HTC.

Yes, blacberry/ some nokia series 60 (S60) smartphones can be adviced to the customer, but I advice you to do the same only when there is an online scenario and there is existing blackberry/nokia hardware. Please note that different versions of the Blackberry OS Web Browser have different levels of compatibility to the online scenarios of SAP.

Edited by: Veeraraagavan R on Jan 13, 2009 7:24 AM

Edited by: Veeraraagavan R on Jan 13, 2009 7:58 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anantharam,

firstly you have to decide which scenario you are using.

if you are using Online scenarios or workflows then you can use blackberry as they need not have enough memory to store the data.

if you are using Offline scenarios( most of the SAP xApps ) then go by what Veera has suggested.

For hardware/product knowledge please visit http://service.sap.com/pam

regards,

Akhil.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The SAP ME Client Component is an entirely Java-based framework offering generic services to mobile applications.

It is based on JDK 1.1.8, as only this JDK is typically available on modern PDAs. Due to the downward capability of Java, it can also run on JDK 1.2 and 1.3 as well as on Personal Java and J2ME (CDC). Due to shifted security packages in JDK 1.4,

In principle, ME runs on all platforms supporting Java, like Win32, PocketPC, Symbian, Mobile Linux, Linux, etc. to name a few.

ME plans to support J2ME (CLDC) with the next release, but with restricted functionality due to the limited resources available on such devices.

Supported OS :

WIN 2000 PROF.

WIN XP 2002 HOME 32-BIT

WIN XP 2002 PROF. 32-BIT

WINDOWS POCKET PC 2002

WINDOWS POCKET PC 2003

Supported JSE Platforms :

JSE - OS Version

COMPAQ JSE 1.3.1 64BIT - TRU64 5.1 64BIT

COMPAQ JSE 1.3.1 64BIT - TRU64 5.1A 64BIT

FSC JSE 1.3.1 32BIT - RELIANT 5.45B

HP JSE 1.3.1 32BIT - HP-UX 11.0

HP JSE 1.3.1 32BIT - HP-UX 11.11/PA-RISC

IBM JSE 1.3.0 32BIT LINUXSLES7/RH71/IA32/GLIBC222

IBM JSE 1.3.1 32BIT - AIX 5.1

IBM JSE 1.3.1 32BIT - AIX 5.2

IBM JSE 1.3.1 32BIT - LINUX SLES7/RH71/IA32/GLIBC222

IBM JSE 1.3.1 32BIT - LINUX/ZSERIES GLIBC 2.2.4

IBM JSE 1.3.1 64BIT - OS/400 V5R1

IBM JSE 1.3.1 64BIT - OS/400 V5R2

IBM JSE 1.3.1 64BIT - OS/400 V5R3

SUN JSE 1.3.1 32BIT - SOLARIS/SPARC 8

SUN JSE 1.3.1 32BIT - SOLARIS/SPARC 9

SUN JSE 1.3.1 32BIT - WINDOWS SERVER 2000/IA32 32BIT

Regards,

Sunaina Reddy T

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Blackberry is suitable for web dynpro mobile always connected and even the Nokia devices and where as if you consider Mobile infrastructure Windows mobile(T-Mobile like HTC) is compatible for that i.e for Occasionally Connected.

Thanks and regards

Manohar

Edited by: Gouri Manohar Gadhamsetty on Jan 13, 2009 7:53 AM

Edited by: Gouri Manohar Gadhamsetty on Jan 13, 2009 7:54 AM

former_member188598
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

chk this thread:

Regards

Priyanka

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anantharam,

There are several mobile devices are available in the market and all the devices use different jvm to run the applications. among all these devices windows mobile i.e. PDAs support a wide range of APIs.

Regards,

Sahidur