Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

creation and maintenance of global report variants

Former Member
0 Kudos

My users want to restrict the creation and maintenance of global report variants to a small group. Other users should be able to use the global variants, save modified copies for themselves and create their own variants. They should not be able to modify the global variants or variants belonging to other users.

I've experimented with S_PROGRAM, S_ALV_LAYO and F_IT_ALV, but can't get the desired result. Is there some other object I should be using? Should I be looking at SHD0 instead?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Which release are you on?

> but can't get the desired result.

From where are you attempting this result?

- The report selection screen,

- Transaction VARCH,

- An ABAP Editor (SE38, etc).

There is also an option to protect variants (for example those used by background processing) via a user specific protection. You can see this in transaction VARCH (and the documentation on it). Might also be an option for you.

Cheers,

Julius

3 REPLIES 3

Former Member
0 Kudos

Which release are you on?

> but can't get the desired result.

From where are you attempting this result?

- The report selection screen,

- Transaction VARCH,

- An ABAP Editor (SE38, etc).

There is also an option to protect variants (for example those used by background processing) via a user specific protection. You can see this in transaction VARCH (and the documentation on it). Might also be an option for you.

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Hi Julius,

We're on SAP ECC 6.0.

We are trying to keep users on the report screen from overwriting report variants created by our Business Process Experts. So far, I can take away all ability to modify report variants or let them overwrite anything, but nothing in between.

I will check out VARCH and post again later.

Thanks,

Leo

0 Kudos

To enable and protect the variant maintenance of a report, it needs an S_PROGRAM group on it (see report RSCSAUTH).

Via S_PROGRAM p_action = 'VARIANT' those users can then maintain the variants AND also submit the reports via report trees or transactions (including SA38 for example).

To make the variant user specific for maintaining it but not restricting the ability to use it, take a look in transaction VARCH at the "Protection" flag (this is user specific then, for the current user who sets the flag first).

Also see the SAP notes and discussions here about report RSVARENT - for globally unlocking the protection (to be used and protected itself with caution).

To lock them down beyond the reach of the user's normal authority, you can also create custom system variants in client 000.

Cheers,

Julius

Edited by: Julius Bussche on Jan 13, 2009 6:07 PM