cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple data sources with UME

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I want to run several (web) applications on my SAP WebAS. And these applications should have different user stores. That is, one should be a database, one a SAP ABAP System and another should be another ABAP System.

How can I configure the UME correctly?

Do I have to configure different data sources? Or do I have to write my own loginmodules?

And what's the situation if I have WebDynpro Apps? There I cannot use custom loginmodules, can I?

In the SAP Library it says that "UME can be configured to read and write user-related data from and to multiple data sources".

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/e5/618a3eacd49076e10000000a114084/frameset.htm

Any hints?

Best regards,

Kilian.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

MichaelShea
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Kilian,

If I understand you correctly, what you are trying to do is not supported. You may want to rethink your architecture and ask yourself why a user must have different user IDs in the different systems.

You have a NetWeaver as with three applications running on it. App1 is supposed to use the Java user database. App2 and App3 use two different ABAP systems with independent user stores. Why not use centralized user administration in one of the ABAP systems and manage all your users in one place? Then your users can have the same authentication method for all three applications.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael, hi John,

All these 3 apps are independent, i.e. they have different users no "overlapping" users. We need for every independent, homogeneous group of users an own user store.

As John stated, we can edit a UME configuration XML file and define multiple data sources in it. However, this is still a server-wide user store.

Is there no way to assign an application to a user store or a UME data source and not have a server-wide user store?

And if not where can I get a description of these "initial namespace-attribute-value triples" mentioned in the SAP Library on User-Based Data Partitioning (see http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/cd/eafc3f8fc2c542e10000000a1550b0/content.htm).

Many thanks,

Kilian

MichaelShea
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Kilian,

Sorry if I am kind of dense. I am still somewhat new to this. You can configure the UME to use multiple directory servers as data sources. It's true. But I do not understand how that would help you when all your users are in ABAP or Java user stores. Why can't your homgeneous group of users of users separate by assigning them to user groups or companies. Do you have a legal reason why that can't be? Sorry if I am beating a dead horse.

If they truly must be in separate user stores, you could consider a multi-tenant portal. Perhaps this is overkill for what you need, but there the UME manages distinct ABAP user stores.

jpolus
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kilian,

You are able to configure multiple UME repositories. It requires updating an UME configuration XML file. check out this link. http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/b7/14d43f2dd44821e10000000a1550b0/content.htm

Please heed the warnings. Make sure you have a copy of the file before changing it. Also note that users must be unique across the data stores since the data stores are processed in the order they appear in the config file. So if you have John Doe in repository 1 and in repository 2, the authentication will take place for the one in repository 1.

Hope this helps.

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

UME can be configured for at the max to 2 datasources.It may be

1) either a single database

2) or ldapsystems and database

3) single sapsystem.

4) some other combinations

The list of options that are available to u can be seen in ur server.

<b>System Administration>System configuration>UM configuration-->datasources.</b>

Here u can see the list of combinations.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Nagarajan.