cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MaxDB 7.6 configuration over Mobile Engine 2.5

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

I am encountering some problems to run a Persistence Application Example AWT Based on ME 2.5.

I don't have a clear idea about configuration steps; i'll write what i have understood:

- ME requires parameters configuration into MobileEngine.config, but i don't know what are the

property names for maxdb (every tutorial only talk about DB2).

- ME requires some .dll files from the used DB. In the case of MAXDB I think these files are

sqlod32.dll and sqlod32w.dll. Are they right?

- ME requires a .jar file from the used DB. In the case of MAXDB i think the file is sapdbc.jar, is it

correct?

Can you help me, please?

Thanks for your cooperation.

Kind Regards,

Carlo Paglia

PS: If you have some tutorial or some pdf to suggest me, please write the links in the response message.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Carlo,

I will quote what I answered in an other thread:

For MI 2.5 and 7.0 you have to use DB2e 8.2.x or 9.x depending on your server patch level.

For Mobile 7.1 you have two options, one the default MinDB that comes with the NWM Client SCA file which is deployed in the DOE post installation and the other being DB2e 9.x.You can download the DB2e package/patches (provided you have the license) from Database Patches section in Service Market Place software distribution center. http://service.sap.com/swdc

You just need to upload the Db2e zip file to the MI server as Add On file and assign it to the device just like any application add on. Please make sure that it is assigned to the device before any application.

Please mark the question as answered if my post solved your question.

Regards,

Veera

Edit:

This is the link in help.sap.com for "Administration of Mobile Components" for MI 2.5 on NetWeaver 2004 which gives you details on all things you need to know on the said topic:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/43/4bab7d61215f6be10000000a1553f6/frameset.htm

Check the links on your left hand side containing links to deploy framework and database.

Edited by: Veeraraagavan R on Jan 12, 2009 5:40 PM

Edited by: Veeraraagavan R on Jan 12, 2009 5:47 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Veera,

thanks a lot for your response message.

Unfortunately, in this project we cannot use DB2 for costs reasons, but I know that it is possible to manage data persistence through file system in ME 2.5, but i don't have any docs or example about it.

Do you have any tutorial or guide that shows this technology?

Kind Regards,

Carlo Paglia

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Carlo,

File Persistence is not adviced by SAP. What SP level of SAP MI 2.5 do you have? Also note that all of the new xApp implementations like xMAM, xMTT, xMDSD. Only custom built apps will support file persistence. Please do note that you can get separate license of DB2 Everyplace (DB2e) alone if I am not wrong for MI implementation and you need not buy the whole DB2 license.

Award points to my or others' useful posts which solved your question.

Regards,

Veera

P.S. Check the NWDS 2.x MDK help for File persistence related queries.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Veera,

I received few minutes ago a SAP note (code 765433) called "Install MaxDB for Mobile Infrastructure Inst. Toolkit". Below is reported the note's content:

-

Summary

Symptom

This note describes the procedure for setting up MaxDB for the MI Installation Toolkit.

Solution

This note is valid until MI 2.5 Support Package 15 (inclusive).

After that, the Installation Toolkit (ITK) will be replaced by the Mass Device Setup (MDS).

Install a MAXDB (Version 7.5.0.25 or higher) on the ITK installation server.

You must also do this if a MAXDB already exists on the server as a result of the J2EE installation.

If DLLs are locked because the server is running, you must stop it before you install MAXDB.

Stop all of the database instances on the target host: System Control -> Administration -> Services -> DB Name -> Stop

Stop the XServer:

System Control -> Administration -> Services -> XServer -> Stop.

Navigate to the directory with the MAXDB software.

Start sdbinst.

Choose NONE if the installation dialog box of the database software asks you which DB instances have to be updated.

If MAXDB asks for the installation mode, select Server (5).

Select C:\sapdb\mi as the target directory.

-

This is only an installation guide, but are you sure that MaxDB cannot be used in MI?

Buying a single DB2e license, can we install the db server on multiple tablet pc?

Regards,

Carlo Paglia

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Carlo,

The note you referred was last updated in 2005.

This is text from one of the latest MI 2.5 SP 22 Composite note ( 1150175 😞

Mobile Infrastructure 2.5 Support Package 22 was tested with the following components:

WebAS 6.40 SP22(WebAS 6.40 ABAP)

SAP J2EE 6.40 SP22 (WebAS 6.40 JAVA)

MI2.5 SP22 WebConsole

MI2.5 SP22 SyncServlet

IBM DB2e 9.1.1

MAM 2.5 SR5

The Following is from MI 2.5 Release Restrictions note (717510):

MAXDB on Mobile Devices not supported

SAP Mobile Infrastructure does currently not support MAXDB.

( Changed at 08.12.2008 )

As for the licensing of IBM DB2 Everyplace (DB2e), please check with SAP.

Regards,

Veera

Answers (0)