cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JDBC adapter for Oracle 8i & Oracle 9i Database

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We have a requirement to connect to Oracle 8i & Oracle 9i Databases from XI.

I have already installed JDBC Driver for Oracle 9i (i.e ojdbc14.jar). My questions can I add JDBC Drivers (classes12.zip) for 8i Database. Will there be any conflicts using two JDBC Drivers for Oracle in XI?

Also, I read that classes12.zip is not compatible with JDK 1.4.

Your inputs in this regard would be appreciated.

Regards

Chandu

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chandu,

<i>//i read that classes12.zip is not compatible with JDK 1.4.</i>

That is true. I had encountered a similar problem once when I was using XI to connect to Oracle and I found a note on service Market place on the same issue. This is the content of that note,

<b>Oracle JDBC Driver (classes12.zip / classes12.jar) Deadlocks

Q: I have deployed the Oracle classes12.zip / classes12.jar JDBC driver as per the instructions in the XI Configuration Guide.

Unfortunately, I frequently notice hanging database connections. A thread dump taken according to the instructions in note 710154 shows one or more blocking JDBC Sender/Reciver threads and optionally that the JVM has detected a deadlock.

A: The Oracle classes12.zip / classes12.jar driver is compatible with Java 1.2 and Java 1.3 only, but not with Java 1.4. Please upgrade to a current driver (ojdbc14.jar), which does support the Java 1.4 JVM you are using.

Please make sure that you remove classes12.zip / classes12.jar from aii_af_jmsproviderlib.sda prior to adding the new driver as per the instructions in the answer to question #1 above as you will get a class name collision otherwise (all JARs from aii_af_jmsproviderlib.sda are loaded into the same class loader and the driver class name of both driver versions is the same).</b>

<b>Before deploying the updated driver, ensure that the new version is still compatible with your Oracle database server release. For details, please refer to the release notes provided by Oracle.</b>

As this note says, having both drivers will be an issue. So, I would suggest that you try to ocnnect to Oracle 8 using ojdc14.jar itself

Regards,

Bhavesh

Message was edited by: Bhavesh Kantilal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhavesh,

Thanks for the details.

I have already checked the Oracle link provided by you in one of my earlier posts.

As per Oracle web site classes12.zip (with patch) can connect to Oracle 9i database but it is compatible with only JDK 1.2 & 1.3. So that rules out installing on XI.

As you said, I will try connecting to Oracle 8i with ojdbc14.jar.

I have also opened a OSS message to confirm the same.

What is the note number? 710154 refers to something else.

Regards

Chandu

Message was edited by: Chandu Cheeti

Former Member
0 Kudos

Chandu,

In the market place, search for oracle drivers. You will get the note.

Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Chandu,

ojdbc14 is the thin driver release from Oracle which is compatible with Oracle9i also and implements JDBC APIs which were newly included in j2sdk 1.4.

This means that you always can connect to databases which are having a lower version and can use JDBC apis which are a part of 1.4 , offcourse 1.3 & 1.2 also, implies that you should not have any problems connecting to 8i using ojdbc14.

Regards,

Amol

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chandu,

The note number from which I got this info is ,

<b>831162</b>

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Amol.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

please check note: 941317

for further information.

Regards,

René de Daniel

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chandu,

If you need tto download the Driver for oracle or need more info, I think this link can help,

<a href="http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/tech/java/sqlj_jdbc/index.html">Oracle Link for Drivers</a>

Regards,

Bhavesh