cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scenarios for Mobile Applications

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am very new to SAP Mobile Applications. I have couple of questions around the scenarios. If we analyze SAP has got solutions for Asset Management, Warehouse capabilities, BI Capabilities, Direct Store Delivery, Mobile Sales, Mobile Service and Procurement. I am just curious to know if we could custom develop application for any scenario that is not provided by SAP.

My second question would be what type of mobile solution that is used by majority of customers?

thanks

anantharam

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Anantharam,

1. Yes you can develop mobile applications for other scenarios.

2. Smart Sync Applications are widely used by customers. MAM is the number 1 scenario / SAP solution used by customers.

Regards,

Veera

Edit: Thanks Akhil, you beat me to that

Edited by: Veeraraagavan R on Jan 12, 2009 8:15 AM

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

SAP Mobile Infrastructure

Purpose

The SAP Mobile Infrastructure (SAP MI) is a technology solution of SAP NetWeaver on which SAP Solutions for Mobile Business is based. With SAP MI, however, you can also make applications that are not SAP-based mobile.

SAP MI is installed locally on a mobile device and is equipped with a Web server, a database layer and its own business logic. Staff working remotely can therefore work offline and do not have to wait for a network connection to complete time-critical business applications. SAP MI offers tools for synchronization and data replication that make the data of the mobile device consistent with that of the back end.

SAP MI is based on the following open industry standards:

· Java

· eXtensible Markup Language (XML)

SAP MI is also equipped with a Java virtual machine and offers an open programming model with which mobile applications can be developed.

This open system architecture makes the platform independent of both the mobile devices and the network and supports mobile devices such as Personal Digital Assistants (PDAs), laptops and Smart Phones.

SAP MI can run on both a standard browser and on a user interface that is not based on a browser.

Integration

Components of the SAP MI within SAP NetWeaver

Features

SAP MI includes the following areas:

Area

Description

SAP NetWeaver Mobile Administrator

The SAP NetWeaver Mobile Administrator offers you diverse functions to administer and monitor SAP MI and the mobile devices.

Synchronization

Synchronization ensures a safe and compressed transfer of data between the mobile device and the back end. When you create a mobile application, application development can decide how it would like to create the data packages for synchronization.

Multiple Usage of a Mobile Device

SAP MI allows multiple users to share one mobile device or one user to work with multiple mobile devices.

Configuration of Mobile Devices using Device Configurations

Administrators can configure mobile devices with device configurations without having direct access to the device.

SAP MI in Computing Center Management System

With the Computing Center Management System (CCMS), the administrator can monitor the systems of the SAP MI.

Mobile Component Descriptor

Application developers can create a Mobile Component Descriptor that describes the properties of a mobile component and that is shipped together with the installation file.

User-Specific Data Filtering

The application developer can define which data of an application the user should access (read, write or change) in every mobile application developed based on SAP MI. This data is filtered and provided to the user in the SAP MI Client Component.

Localization

Depending on the user settings and logon data, the currency, date, time and number formats are displayed for each specific country in the selected language.

The end user can make the following settings:

· Language

· Country

· Time Zone

· Daylight Saving Time

For more information see Editing User Settings.

Mobile Development Kit

SAP MI offers an open programming model with a copious JavaServer Pages (JSP) library for developing mobile applications. Examples of mySAP Mobile Business applications based on the SAP MI are:

· SAP Mobile Sales

· SAP Mobile Asset Management

· SAP Mobile Time and Travel

A complete list of the mySAP Mobile Business applications can be found in the SAP Service Marketplace at service.sap.com/mobile.

SAP MI also supports the Abstract Window Toolkit (AWT) platform. AWT is part of the Java Foundation Classes (JFC) and provides Java developers with a framework and routines for graphic user interfaces.

For more information see SAP Mobile Development Kit (MDK).

Security

To ensure confidential and sensitive data is protected as securely on the mobile devices as on the network devices in your company, SAP MI supports a number of security standards.

You can find more information on the SAP Service Marketplace at service.sap.com/securityguide.

Regards,

Sunaina Reddy T

former_member188598
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can very much create your custom MI applications by either using Smart Sync or generic Sync application.To know more about MI check these links:

Regards.

Priyanka

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi friends,

Thanks for such response. In the meanwhile before I close the thread, could you please let me know what I need to do in case a particular scenario is not offered by SAP.

-> Where do I code to call the application on Mobile?

-> I understand that if DSD has to be operated on mobile, MDSD 3.0 needs to be available on the mobile device. In the case of custom development how am I going to call the scenario on the mobile?

-> Above all what technology I need to adopt to install my application and how complicated is to develop one?

thanks

anantharam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Anantharam,

First of all the required BAPIs, depending on Functional inputs, are created by your ABAPper(s). The Sync BOs are created in the middleware. Your MI developer(s) will create and build the MI applcation as .war (Java Web Archive) files. These will be converted to .sda (SAP software deployment archive files) and deployed to the MI server by your developer with Admin role (or your BASIS Administrator/ NetWeaver Mobile Administrator). This Mobile Component will have to be assigned to the mobile device and once synchronized and installed, can be accessed from the device similar to MDSD 3.0.

Please note that according to the runtime of the application (AWT /JSP), the required client needs to be installed in the mobile hand held device/laptop.

Regards,

Veera

former_member188598
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please go through the threads i have mentioned u will get an idea about MI development.

Where do I code to call the application on Mobile?

You have a Mobile Infrastructure perspective in your NWDS where you do all your coding related to MI in java. Here you have facility to design either a SmartSync or Generic Sync application.You have a MI server which is a middleware server where u design syncBO which fetches data from backend.Please go through this link to know what MI is:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/a7/893a5889e08b41b615688b1a93b559/frameset.htm

also please check the NWDS help, there you will find sample application to work in MI.

I understand that if DSD has to be operated on mobile, MDSD 3.0 needs to be available on the mobile device. In the case of custom development how am I going to call the scenario on the mobile?

You have to configure the backend settings in the DSD server and in MI middleware server u need to install the required SyncBos available for MDSD3.0 and create a RFC connection to the DSD server.Finally u need to install the MDSD3.0 client application in the mobile device by assigning the application to the particular user and device.

Regards

Priyanka

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Veera/Priyanka,

Thanks for your valuable inputs. Let me be bit clear. Assume that I need to show a dashboard in the mobile. The dashboard would contain various information about the project like project name, project description, icons showing the various statuses. I have standard BAPIs/functional modules that would return these information in the backend SAP. Also one more scenario wherein a Project Manager has to approve a particular phase of a project based on certain parameters. Please let me know if these scenarios can be integrated in the mobile. And for a particular scenario to be available in the mobile what are the prerequisites.

You mentioned that for a custom application certain client needs to be installed on the mobile. Could you please explain in detail what type of software I need to install on my mobile that would address the above scenarios I have specified?

thanks

anantharam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Anantharam,

Yes the scenarios can be integrated in the mobile application and hence can be run on the Mobile Device. What client needs to be installed is based on the runtime used by the mobile application that is created. There are two options available in SAP MI viz. JSP and AWT runtime environments. The development and deployment of the application will be taken care of by the MI developer(s) and NetWeaver Mobile Administrator(s) / BASIS administrator(s) respectively. The BAPIs and BAPI wrappers will be taken care by the ABAPPers with inputs from the functional consultant(s) and MI developer(s).

Please refer to the link given by Priyanka which gives an over view and in depth coverage of MI.

Regards,

Veera

Edit:

P.S. Generally there are two cab (or Windows Mobile Setup) files that are installed for Mobile Infrastructure 7.0.

1. CrEme 3.27a cab file

2. MI Client cab file (JSP/AWT version depending on app).

Edited by: Veeraraagavan R on Jan 12, 2009 9:39 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

Sales Order,Pay Order,Inventory,RFID and also Plant Maintenance Order

regards

Manohar

Edited by: Gouri Manohar Gadhamsetty on Jan 12, 2009 8:16 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can always custom develop the original xApps provided by SAP or you can also create your own custom applications.

Regarding your second question...it depends upon customer needs but...MAM is one of the frequently used xApps.

regards,

Akhil