cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

windows OS for PI 7.1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

for installing PI 7.1, the prerequisite says we need to have 64 bit env.

we have 64 bit processor that can support 64bit OS.

But in windows env, which operating system is really 64 bit OS.

i mean for installing PI 7.1, which of the microsoft OS we can use.. (from XP, Server, Vista etc)

Thanks,

Ganesh.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Ganesh,

You have the Windows Server 2003 x64 edition which can be used with 64bit AMD Opteron/Athlon/Phenom and Intel Xeon/Core2Duo/Core2Quad processors.

Regards,

Veera

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Veera,

we got a right processor from the list you mentioned.

i just checked the microsoft.com, it seems the 64bit version of the OS is available for all Windows Operating systems:

64bit Windows XP,

64bit Windows Vista, and

64bit windows server 2003.

is it required to use the OS "64bit windows server 2003" or can we use "64bit XP" or "64bit Vista"

Thanks

Ganesh.

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It would work on 64 bit XP. Theoretically it should work on Vista, however I doubt about Vista.

Regards,

Prateek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Ganesh,

XP x64 is based on the same kernel as Windows Server 2003 x64. Therefore no problems will potentially be there when you install with x64 XP.

In the case of Vista, Windows Server 2008 and Vista share the same base code, so if SAP supports Server 2008 x64 then it should work in Vista x64.

But the difference comes when you raise a support message (OSS). SAP supports only when you install in supported platforms. Be informed that performance wise, you will see a bit of a difference betweeen XP/Vista and server editions because consumer editions (XP/Vista) are generally bloated with additional things that you dont need in a server and are stripped off some security features /server features. Also Server class OSes are tested for continuous/long uptimes.

Please mark the question as answered if my (or thers') post solved your question.

Regards,

Veera

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks Veera, Prateek.

Answers (0)