cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cold backup from disaster system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are using oracle 9.2.0 ,HP UNIX and SAP version 4.7E. We have disaster recovery configuration.

We are normally taking oracle cold backup using UNIX commands and at the time of taking cold backup we shutdown the production system.

My queries are:

1.I do not want to shutdown production system. I want to shutdown disaster recovery system and take cold backup from disaster system using UNIX commands.

(I) what are the prerequisites to follow this?

(ii) Is it right way to take backups?

Thnaks&Regards,

Nani

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nani,

The reply to your queries are below :

1) Prerequisites :

a) Make sure that the archive logs generated at the production site are stored temporarily at the DRP site, so that when the DRP DB starts after backup gets completed, it will get recovered using those logs.

b) Make sure that there are scripts or procedures in place for automatic shipping and application of redo logs at the production and DRP sites respectively.

c) Ensure that two consecutive backups of the DRP DB don't overlap, otherwise the redologs will only fill the temporary location (usually oraarch or saparch) without getting actually applied.

2) This is definately a much better and efficient way to take backup of your production server. This will ensure higher availablity of your production server for carrying out business.

Regards,

Deoraj Alok.

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

it depends, your disaster recovery system is on another server? I guess that you use log shipping to send offline archive logs to this server?

if so, this is possible. but you need to make sure that offline redologs were applied successfully before starting your backup. If not, you might have Oracle corruption and your backup will be invalid.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It is a different system and we are using log shipping to transfer offline redolog files.

nani

Edited by: nani reddy on Jan 14, 2009 1:32 PM

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

then, this should work, just make sure you stop your Oracle DRP database before backup. when backup is ocmpleted, restart Oracle in DRP mode and restart your offline redolog shipping and applying.

Note that using BRBACKUP will not work with this method, only a pure OS backup will work.. but this is not supported by SAP.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Note that using BRBACKUP will not work with this method

Sorry to disagree.

brbackup -t offline_standby will work.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/fb/09eeca156da448bd921ffd32d02a9c/frameset.htm

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Joe, you are right.

no need to be sorry. you did the right thing by correcting my answer.