cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Solution Manager

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

I need to Install My SAP ERP 2005 (ECC 6).

My System Landscape is DEV-QTST-PRD

Platform is Windows-Oracle

Before starting my installation, i need to install Solman Tool.

I was bit confused with this Solution Manager Tool, Solman should be installed in the different system apart from our ECC 6 installations or we can install it in DEV system itself.

Please help me.

Regards,

ram

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Recommended to install in a different system only.

Presently you will be using this system for just key generation.

But you can use the solution manager system for EWA configuration, SMD in future.

Regards

KT

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks.

I gone through the articles of solution manager. It says you can Monitor systems in our landscape through Solman.

Any Brief Materials available in understanding this

What about CCMS?

Regards,

ram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thru CCMS we can monitor only that system and application servers connected to that system. One more thing is it should be ABAP system.

In solution manager there is a concept called SMD(Solution Manager Diagnostics), we can monitor the complete systems in your landscape including SAP and non SAP systems.

SMD is running in JAVA stack. http://hostname:5<ins>00/smd to access smd wizard.

System Monitoring can be done in OS level, SAP and DB level.

In solman 7.0, there is one more new concept called WorkCenters, in this SMD is added as snap-in. But previously we have to deploy seperate components in SDM to activate SMD.

Get more information from http://service.sap.com/solutionmanager

Regards

KT

raguraman_c
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

The recommended approach is to have SOLMAN as CEN. The alerts would be centrally collected at SOLMAN.

For CEN you need to install CCMS Agents in your (Satellite systems -- your ECC systems) which will re-direct the alerts to SOLMAN (CEN).

One more thing SOLMAN is not just a "tool".

We have got numerous features of SOLMAN.

This should help you.

Feel Free to revert back.

-=-Ragu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In my case i need to install Solution Manager and generate the Key and then i should start installation of ECC6.

With CCMS, we can't set central monitoring system for a landscape. ???

Can you explain me the Basic steps in Solman for installing ECC6? further i will go through the articles.

Thanks in advance.

regards,

ram.

Edited by: Ramalingam Vivekanandan on Jan 10, 2009 2:02 AM

Edited by: Ramalingam Vivekanandan on Jan 10, 2009 10:25 AM

raguraman_c
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>

> Can you explain me the Basic steps in Solman for installing ECC6? further i will go through the articles.

Solman for Installing ECC6 - Just need to generate Key from Solman.

Check [this link|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_sm40/helpdata/EN/45/50b3347f166600e10000000a114a6b/content.htm] on how to create solution manager key.

CEN (Central Monitoring is CCMS only). The difference is, rather than monitoring in CCMS local system, we can monitor centrally on SOLMAN.

Hope this solves your problem.

Feel free to revert back.

-=-Ragu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

So, i need to install the Solman and generate the Solman Key through SMYS and install the systems in landscape.

Setting up Monitoring Architecture:

1. Install CCMS Agents in AS ABAP system(primary Application server resides) - DEV-QTST-PRD

2. Central MOnitoring system is from Solman.

hope am right.

regards,

vivek

Former Member
0 Kudos

"The recommended approach is to have SOLMAN as CEN. The alerts would be centrally collected at SOLMAN."

Well, we were told by SAP AG to separate CEN from Solution Manager due to:

- performance reasons: as we have over hundred SIDs to be monitored, we would run into performance problems (even in the case of a pretty powerful 8-CPU / 16 GB Linux server for SolMan)

- release dependencies: it is recommended to have CEN resp. the WebAS at the same release level as the highst release of your monitored systems. So if you want to monitor 7.1 you also should have your CEN on 7.1. If you wan to upgrade your CEN to 7.1 you may run into problems with SolMan as according Product Availability Matrix SolMan will probably not on a 7.1. WebAS

Thanks,

Martin

Answers (0)