Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile Parameter folder

ken_halvorsen2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all

Has anyone else had or might even be able to explain the following experience?

1st, we have an ECC 6.0 system on a cluster with SQL Server 2005 and Windows 2003. (we also have 2 App servers attached)

I had made several adjusts to different memory parameters during this last week. Having to schedule application re-boots during the night so the settings would take effect the next morning. Note: I made the changes directly to the instance profile in the profile folder, not through transaction RZ10.

Several changes and re-boots were made successfully without incident until ... Yesterday, the system would not connect to the message server. Then being on a cluster (where the ci and db are on different servers) the SAP Cluster service continually ping ponged back and forth and would fail on each server. I had to catch it at a precise moment to pause one of the nodes to stop this and let it failto stop the ping ponging.

After returning the parameters to the original settings, returning previous profile backup files to current, (Changing the name of the active instance profile file and renaming the backup instance profile), copying previous copies of all profiles back into the folder, many server reboots, it still would not come up.

Luckily we had a copy of the entire profile folder from an earlier date and copied the entire folder to usr\sap\<sid>\SYS (having renamed the active folder) and the system came up without a problem. (???) We could actually recreate this fix and found it was the copying the profile folder and not the copying or replacing of the parameter profile files that allowed the system to come back up. I have put the new memory parameter changes back into the instance profile and the system is stable.

Anyone have any idea why? Any idea where I might start an analysis to figure out what happened?

Ken

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

could it be related to some permissions of the folder

since u said u have VM Ware app servers

Rohit

ken_halvorsen2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Rohit

I had originally thought something similar, although if it was an authorization thing, it would happen every time a change was made and saved, not just randomly...

Ken

ken_halvorsen2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks SK

The problem with putting those parameter settings in the Default profile is that the App servers are VMWare virtual servers, and don't have the same, assigned RAM and CPU as the ci\db.

Also, please note that the problem wasn't with the Parameter settings or changing of, it was when the system wouldn't come back up, the fix was to copy the entire Profile folder back. The parameter settings were changed \ updated, in the new folder and everything works now.

I was just wondering if anyone else out there had found this or had an explaination.

Ken

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can't really say that I experienced the very same thing, but I did have some similar errors.

They where all caused by the customer changing ACLs/Authorizations on directories.

These changes were always revision and SOX-driven so the instructions come from outside the

IT-department and was performed by people who did not working with SAP.

I don't know if this make sense in your case or not.

ken_halvorsen2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I agree, it should not make any difference if making changes directly to the Profile. But for some reason copying the Profile folder did.

You asked:

1.Which parameters did you change in the instance profile?

I was increasing the memory buffer parameters such as:

- rsdb/ntab/entrycount

- rsdb/ntab/ftabsize

- rsdb/ntab/irdbsize

- rsdb/ntab/sntabsize

- rsdb/obj/max_objects

- rsdb/obj/buffersize

- rsdb/cua/buffersize

although not all at once

2.How many application servers do you have?

On this system there are 2 application servers and the ci\db

3.The parameters which you have changed did they exist in the default profile?

I believe you're asking if any of the parameters that I had changed in the instance profile, had also existed in the default profile, No there are no parameters the same in the instance and default profile.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Instead of instance profile change the value to the default profile and delete those parameters from instance profile. Otherwise the value of the default profile has been overwritten by Instance profile.

SK

Former Member
0 Kudos

There shouldn't be any problem if you change the parameters directly to the instance profile without using tcode. Please answer my following queries.

1.Which parameters did you change in the instance profile?

2.How many application servers do you have?

3.The parameters which you have changed did they exist in the default profile?