Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About restoring an object from a backup

stefan_kolev4
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I need to restore from a backup only one "Z" program.Is that possible without restoring the whole backup?

Thanks

Stefan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can't you have a look at (ABAP) version management?

stefan_kolev4
Participant
0 Kudos

Yes,I can,but we had a technical problem and I need to recover only one z program.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It is NOT possible to restore a single object from a database backup.

The only work around would be to restore the full backup on a different server (homgeneous copy), then create a transport request containing the object to restore and import this transport request in the target system. Quite a long and culbersome procedure !

I hope for you that you can use version management...

Regards,

Olivier

stefan_kolev4
Participant
0 Kudos

What about redo log files ? Can we use them somehow ?

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

You COULD use the redo-logs, but not to restore your individual program!

You COULD roll back to before your "technical problem" ... but again it's all or nothing I'm afraid.

Just out of interest, what type of technical problem is preventing you from using a previous version of the ABAP?

EDIT: If it's a Z program, is it not contained within a transport request that you could re-apply ?

Edited by: Scott Butler on Jan 8, 2009 2:47 PM

stefan_kolev4
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. We could use version management,but what is very strange: for example the last version of the program is on 04.12.08 in version management,but we work on the program after 4th of December.It's very strange that we lost about 50 rows of code ???We tryed to retrieve last version,but it is from 4th of december, after we did some changes in code.Do you have any ideas ?

Thanks,

Stefan

ken_halvorsen2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Is this the Development system? If not, do you still have the transport (data & cofiles)? Just re-import the transport with your Z-Program.

Ken

stefan_kolev4
Participant
0 Kudos

Unfortunately it is Dev system ;(

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Stefan,

If you have the disk space, restore the backup of the database to a different database name. Once done, script the creation of the object, and then run it in your Dev database. If that is successful, drop the temporary database.

It's not quick, but it'll do the trick if you have the space. You can look at 3rd party solutions for backup / restore capabilities. Some of them provide object-level restore, but you'd have to investigate. Start with Red-Gate, Quest, and Idera. They all make really good products for SQL Server.

Hope this helps!

Jason