cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Word Wrap Not Working Properly in Crystal Reports Viewer

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm using Crystal Reports 11.5.11.1470. I've written a report that looks perfect in the Designer. In order to share the report with our users, however, I have to import it into Advace Web Access (AWA), a SunGard product, that is a browser-based interface with our alumni/donor database. AWA uses Crystal Reports Viewer to display the report, and the report looks substantially different in the Viewer. I know, after reading the release notes for Viewer, that font size might change, but what I can't understand is why some fields appear to be prematurely wrapping. For example, I have this text that goes from one margin to the other in Designer:

*Fiscal Year will be blank if no entities have been coded or, in the case of volunteer activities, if no volunteer year was entered. Fiscal Year will be 0000 if no year was entered for the activity or committee start date.

But in the Viewer, the text begins wrapping about 3 inches shy of the right margin, thus resulting in taking up significantly more vertical real estate on the report and having unnecessary white space on the right side.

Can anyone explain why this is happening and how to fix?

Thanks,

Karen

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Karen it looks like a margin issue to me. The margin set in CR designer might not be the same or I should say compatible with the margins preset in the viewer.

I am not too sure about it nor I could find any related notes under SAP notes section for you. However whenever I get this type of problem I adjust the report in designer until the report gets better in the viewer. Not an ideal solution at all but it works.

Regards

Jehanzeb

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks so much for your attempt to help me solve this problem. I don't think, however, that the problem is the margins. Other parts of the report extend all the way to the right margin. I'm going to try to create a mock-up of what I'm seeing on the report below. We'll see if it comes across correctly!

field field field field field field field field field field field field field field

notenotenotenotenotenotenotenotenotenote

notenotenote

So the fields are in the detail of the report, and they extend all the way to the right margin. But the note is in the page footer, and it wraps prematurely. And the textbox has been sized to take up the entire width of the report, and it does in Designer. It wraps prematurely only in Viewer. Wish I could submit screenshots to make my problem clearer, but I hope this helps!

Edited by: Karen Esterl on Jan 7, 2009 7:04 PM

Edited by: Karen Esterl on Jan 7, 2009 7:05 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Morning Karen,

Can you please copy and paste the testing text here, so that I can replicate the same thing over to my crystal reports and see if there is any problem in the program or perhaps something else which is causing this issue?

I have though replicated it in, by creating two text fields and typed, test in them. I then saved the filed and opened it in the CR 2008 viewer (thats what I have) and the text came up correctly.

You can upload your screenshots on flikr, photobucker or picasa and paste the links here.

Many thanks

Regards

Jehanzeb

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi. The text that isn't wrapping properly is this:

***This is the total number of entities coded with this code. Only participants are coded for activities. All committee statuses are included in committee counts as are all committee roles with the exception of non-participants, who are excluded.

It's Calibri 8 in Crystal Reports. I've uploaded screenshots to Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/16912412@N06/3194626074/ and http://www.flickr.com/photos/16912412@N06/3193781577/. You'll see in the latter that the text in the footer wraps prematurely.

(I had to obscure some of the confidential data in the report.)

Thanks,

Karen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Karen I can't see anywhere, where it states

This is the total number of entities coded with this code. Only participants are coded for activities. All committee statuses are included in committee counts as are all committee roles with the exception of non-participants, who are excluded.

By looking at the sc, it seems everything is wrapped fine. We are looking at the description right?

Regards

Jehanzeb

You could have used Paint to just delete the company confidential data using a cut tool instead of spraying it:-D

Edited by: Jehanzeb Navid on Jan 13, 2009 4:48 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

The text is in the footer at the very bottom of the report. In the Crystal Reports screenshot, you'll see that the text does not wrap until after "who are" and before "excluded." If you look at the Crystal Reports Viewer screenshot, you'll see that the text wraps after "the exception of" and before "non-participants."

Compare the length of the footer in the Crystal Reports screenshot, which extends all the way below the Unit column, and the length of the footer in the Crystal Reports Viewer screenshot, which wraps before it even reaches the Unit column.

And I wanted to use spray paint so that it didn't look as though I had huge holes in my report!

Thanks again,

Karen

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

SunGuard is an OEM PArtner of ours. I suggest you have them work on your issue.