cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using LDAP with UME

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would like to change the UME to use LDAP. I found the info on how to change it to use a writable LDAP with database. My question is, if I make this change, will the Visual Administrator, SDM and the deploy tool now expect me to enter an LDAP user or do I keep using my existing users defined in the local database configured when NetWeaver was installed? For example, I use a user called "Administrator" to login to the VA and deploy tool while I use the "sdm" account when deploying from NWDS. Do I need to setup new users in the LDAP for these tasks and if so, what permissions do they need?

I'm using NetWeaver 6.40 SP 15.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

LDAP is typically used for Application users and not for administration purpose.

Administrator Users like 'Administrator', 'j2ee_admin' and 'SDM' typically remain in the UME.

This is my understanding of the system

Regards,

S.Divakar

Former Member
0 Kudos

From the documentation I've read so far, I would tend to agree with your statement. However, I would like to see something definitive from SAP on this issue. I do not want to make this change and then waste 1/2 day re-installing NetWeaver because VA or the deploy tool no longer works.

Do you know of any whitepaper on using LDAP with UME? I have only found the online help stuff so far.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can either continue to use the admin user UME(database) user or you can create user in LDAP and assign him the System Admin role and permissions using UME

regards,

Sujesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

So if you have LDAP and database configured, will UME search the database first and then the LDAP for the user id or vice versa?

I have now gotten the UME to use LDAP successfully and I'm still able to use the previous administrator account (i.e. that's not defined in the LDAP) to login to the application. So obviously it is checking both places. I'm just wondering which one it checks first?

As a followup, what UME tool would I use to assign an LDAP user the SysAdmin role?

Message was edited by: Craig Knelsen

Message was edited by: Craig Knelsen

Answers (0)