cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling Bapi form a Windows service using SAP.BAPI.1 object

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am trying to create a Windows Service in Visual Basic (VB), that connects to an SAP system. The reason for using a Windows Service is, that it has to start up automatically on a server, regardless if a user logs on or not.

The program has to read data (using a BAPI) from SAP every 5 sec, and post is to a Microsoft Queue (MSMQ).

I have the functionality working in a dialog based application - but the problems is that is requires the user to log on, before it runs.

For that reason I am trying to convert the application to a Windows Service Application, which can be started automatically when the server is turned on/restarted.

But when I try to make the connection to SAP R/3 in the Windows Service Application the Connection object fails.

Dim oBAPICtrl As Object 
Dim oLogonCtrl As Object 

oBAPICtrl = CreateObject("SAP.BAPI.1";) 

oLogonCtrl = CreateObject("SAP.Logoncontrol.1";) 

oBAPICtrl.Connection = oLogonCtrl.NewConnection <-- this one fails 

When I check the VB variable Err, which contains info on the current error, I read the following information (which tells me that I have access to the SAP.BAPI.1 object):

Err.source = SAP.BAPI

Err.Description = Application-defined or object-defined error

Err.number = -2147467259

A Windows Service requires you to state which account/user to "run" as, as I mention before no real user is logged in. I have tried both LocalSystem and as my own user.

Any one with a suggestion what to try??

Regards

Anders

BTW:

Visual Basic is VB 2008

SAP GUI is 7.1

<MOVED BY MODERATOR TO THE CORRECT FORUM>

Edited by: Alvaro Tejada Galindo on Jan 7, 2009 10:34 AM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I found the solution myself.

If I removed the line

'oBAPICtrl.Connection = oLogonCtrl.NewConnection 

the code worked fine - and I could log in and call BAPI's with no problems.

I wonder what the difference is from the dialog application to the Service application - but right now I do not care - I just happy that is works.

regards