cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import 2 source fields into one destination field (appending entries)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear forum members,

In MDM Import Manager, is it possible to take 2 fields from the source file structure and map the values to the same destination lookup field, so both values are appended to the table for the same record?

If so, can you provide detaiuls and considerations?

I have been looking at partitions, but all I can do is create a single record in the lookup table consisting of both values combined.

Many thanks,

Nick

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Its not possible through Import Manager.

Thanks,

Maheshwari

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes,it is not possible in import manager,A a workaround make one source field having two values in it and then map it to required destination field.If need be then make destination field as multi-valued.

Hope this helps

Regards,

Mandeep.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mandeep,

I previously tried to do your workaround, but can't get it to work. Steps I undertook:

1. Created a new combined single field in the source file, with both values separated by space

(and I tried using the old source file and creating a partition on one source file and combining the other field into the partition, so both values are separated by a ';')

2. Mapped the source field / combined partition with 2 fields separated by a ';' into the destination field

3. Loaded the data

4. Outcome was, the record was loaded as one entry with both values assigned, separated by ';'.

How can I tell import manager to load both fields as new entries?!

Thanks a lot,

Nick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

Do you wish to create two records having one field with seperate values and rest all same in those two records ?

Regards,

Mandeep.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I want one record with 2 columns in my source file and to be able to load as one record in MDM but with 2 field entries in the multi-valued lookup table for that record.

The desired result is that it should load one record into the main table in MDM with 2 entries in a qualified lookup table for that item.

Thanks,

Nick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nick,

Its not possible at one time.

Workaround is.......... try to import at two times.

In 1st import Map 1st source field to Destnation lookup table & import it.

In second import change the map............. remove previous mapping & map 2nd source field to same destination lookup table......... this will append new data to ur lookup table.

As it is a lookup table data import its one time activity & not like main table data import.

So i think u can achieve this my 2 import maps.

Thanks,

Maheshwari

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi! Nick,

Maheshwari is right,you have to make two import maps,as with lookup tables you can only update the display field visible in your main table with one import map.

Hope this will help you.

Regards,

Mandeep.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks both,

I had thought I could do it with 2 imports using 2 maps, but I wanted to know if there was a way we could do this on only 1 import as this massively increases our catalogue admin workload ongoing.

Regards,

Nick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nick,

I think it can be done, I just did it on a test repository.

I created a simple ID field and a multi-valued lookup field in the main table. I then added a few values to the lookup table: A, B, C. For the import I used an Excel sheet that looks similar to the following:

ID, Value1, Value2, Value3

1, A, B, C

2, A, B, D

In Import Manager I mapped ID to ID (and used it as the only matching field). I then used partitioning to combine Value1, Value2 and Value3 into a single source field (added all three to the partition, selected all three and clicked "Combine"). I then mapped the partition field to the multi-valued lookup, hit "Automap", and it mapped A to A, B to B, C to C. I then hit "Add" to add the new value D, and it added it -- ran the import, and indeed record 1 had values A, B, C and record 2 had A, B, D in the multi-valued lookup, and the lookup table had D in it.

Is that what you were trying to do?

Alon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alon,

Yes this is what I am trying to do.

I have tried your way, but the problem is I am using more complex fields and relationships, as I am using SRM-MDM and am tyring to load 2 hyperlinks into the hyperlinks lookup table.

I can't get the same results as you though. You said:

"mapped the partition field to the multi-valued lookup, hit "Automap""

was this the values you were auto-mapping and not the field I presume?

", and it mapped A to A, B to B, C to C. I then hit "Add" to add the new value D, and it added it""

When I hit "Add" to the hyperlinks dest field, it showed both fields on the same value with a comma separator.

I loaded the data again and it loaded the fields as one and did not split them out.

If you can help any more that would be great!

Thanks so far,

Nick

Former Member
0 Kudos

You're right, I was talking about automapping and adding values.

• Is the destination field you're mapping to a multi-valued lookup field?

• When you combine the source fields using partitioning, did you change the default delimiter from a semi-column? If yes, try to change it back to ";"

Alon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alon,

Yes the field I am testing with is called 'Hyperlink' of type 'Lookup [Qualified Flat] (multi-valued)'

The field shows as type 'F' in the destination field pane.

I do acrtually want to load to a different field eventually, but am just testing with this as it seems to be the riight type.

The table I want to load to is the Hyperlinks table in SRM-MDM. It has the following structure in the console:

Field Name Field Type Non-Qualifier / Qualifier

Type (Lookup[flat]) Non-qualifier

Mime Type (Lookup[flat]) Qualifier

URL (Text) Qualifier

URL Description (Text) Qualifier

In import manager, the fields available are:

Hyperlink F Lookup [Qualified Flat] (multi-valued)

Mime Type <Hyperlink> Q Lookup [Flat]

URL <Hyperlink> Q Text[250]

URL Description <Hyperlink> Q Text[250]

Ultimately I am trying to map:

1. Hyperlink - a null source value to a fixed dest value of 'Link'

2. Mime Type - a null source value to a null dest value

3. URL - 2 values from 2 fields in the source file to 2 (appended) entries

4. URL Description - same 2 source values in the source file to 2 (appended) entries

Unfortunately we cannot modify the hyperlinks table or use a different one as the fields will not be displayed properly in the catalogue view SRM requisitioners will have so I HAVE to use this table and these fields.

What do you think?

Thanks a lot,

Nick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nick,

In this case what I did isn't relevant -- my test worked because I was mapping to a lookup field, you're mapping to a text field (the Hyperlink field is a text field, not a lookup field referencing a lookup table).

Looks like multiple imports maps is what you'll have to do.

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK, thanks for helping

Answers (0)