Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Copy Questions R/3 4.6c + Oracle + Solaris

Former Member
0 Kudos

dear gurus

goal system copy in R/3 4.6c + Oracle + Solaris

I am doing the db export using R3SETUP (quite slow, I have optimize it using split SRT files method)

I have questions here..

when I do export I download latest R3szchk, R3load, R3SETUP, R3check, R3LDCTL

I download from

Support Packages and Patches - Archive - Additional Components - SAP Kernel -SAP KERNEL 64-BIT - SAP KERNEL 4.6D 64-BIT

R3szchk, R3load, R3check, R3LDCTL using SAPEXEDB_2364-10001132.SAR (Kernel Part II for Stack Q1-2008)

R3SETUP using R3SETUP_29-10001132.CAR

source system : Oracle 8.1.7 - R/3 4.6C - Solaris 9

my question is

target system : Oracle 10.0.2 with patches - R/3 4.6C - Solaris 10

later on when i do import to target system, should I use the same kernel when I do the export, or should I use the one from

Support Packages and Patches -> Additional Components -> SAP Kernel -> SAP KERNEL 64-BIT -> SAP KERNEL 4.6D_EX2 64-BIT

another question

how to speed up the export ? i am stucked with bottle neck in IO, CPU usage is very low, please dont recommend me something related to hardware or disk architecture, if possible recommend me something related to Oracle parameter.

disk IO using IO stat showing 100% busy and service time 800-1500

thanks !

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

later on when i do import to target system, should I use the same kernel when I do the export, or should I use the one from

Support Packages and Patches -> Additional Components -> SAP Kernel -> SAP KERNEL 64-BIT -> SAP KERNEL 4.6D_EX2 64-BIT

Yes - use that one. It uses the Oracle instantclient instead of the old 9.2 client. Make sure you add "-loadprocedure fast" to the load options, this will enable the fastloader.

Make also sure you install all the patchsets and interim patches BEFORE you start the data load.

another question

how to speed up the export ? i am stucked with bottle neck in IO, CPU usage is very low, please dont recommend me something related to hardware or disk architecture, if possible recommend me something related to Oracle parameter.

if you disk I/O subsystem can´t deliver more than you are lost with Oracle parameters.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

dear Markus,

thanks for your reply ! you are always helpful. i am trying to do installation and import now.

do you have any idea for the other questions ?

and is there anyway to check whether data is fully exported and imported ?

note : i am exporting 50gb db size to 2.8gb dump file in 7 hours bottleneck in read IO

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

note : i am exporting 50gb db size to 2.8gb dump file in 7 hours bottleneck in read IO

you can do a

grep ERR *.TSK

after the export. This will check all the task files for errors. The same can be done for the import.

Your I/O system seems to pretty slow really - 7 hours for 50 GB is VERY long (but there´s not much you can do about it).

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks for your reply !

in which folder should i run that grep command ? in the export directory (the one that i run R3SETUP) or in the dump directory (the output directory) ?

thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

you can do a

grep ERR *.TSK

after the export. This will check all the task files for errors. The same can be done for the import.

Hi Markus,

where should I run this grep command ?

thanks !

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

run it in your installation directory,.where all the task files are created.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus

thanks for all your help ! you are awesome..

I've done the system copy, system is up and run now.

now i am preparing the upgrade simulation. I will post question about upgrade in another sub forum.

I award the point.

thanks !

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

note

export is done, i am doing tuning by splitting the STR and EXT files but seems no improvement. (manual split using system copy tools for JAVA)

exporting 50 Gb data files using R3SETUP, result 2.8 Gb dump file

so if there is any suggestion to improve this, please help me..

but important thing is

i need recommendation or suggestion for my main question regarding import above, because i will simulate it in 1-2 days.

thanks gurus !