cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XI 3.0 SR1 Install and Config.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Guru's,

I have read the XI 3.0Sr1 installation guide, the only part i didn't quite catch was about the Adapter Engine installation for Business System. Can anyone be kind enough to explain that to me ? I am quite new to this XI concept..

The scenario is :

Systems : SAP R/3 Enterprise 47x200 Sr1 - WebAS 620

SAP CRM 4.0 - WebAS 620

SAP BW 3.5 - WebAS 640.

External Non-SAP Systems

I will be doing the XI install on a single server, which will have the WebAS 640 ABAP + Java, Adapter Engine and rest of the stuff.

Question is the XI install doc says that the Business Systems should have a WebAS 640 JAVA instance to host the Adapter Engine. Now where does this fit into..do i need a separate server for this, as our R3 and Crm systems are on WebAS 620.

Thanks for your help..

Regards

Nainesh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

andreas_stolz
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Nainesh,

I think, that's a missunderstanding. The central adapter engine already hosts all adapters. To connect a business system via these adapters, the central ae is sufficient.

Only if you want to install a separate decentral ae you need an additional hardware and an additional j2ee engine. You might want to use a decentral ae when the business system is connected to the xi via a wan connection, or for other reasons.

Rgds.,

Andreas

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nainesh -

The Adapter Engine(AE) installation section(s) refer to an optional decentral/local AE. The central AE will automatically get installed with the main XI installation (on your single server). Technically, the central AE will meet the requirements of many/most XI customers.

>>><i>Question is the XI install doc says that the Business Systems should have a WebAS 640 JAVA instance to host the Adapter Engine. Now where does this fit into..do i need a separate server for this, as our R3 and Crm systems are on WebAS 620.</i>

If you do find the need to install a local AE, yes, this would require a WebAS 640 engine and you'd probably want to do this on it's own WebAS 640 instance (not necessarily on a separate physical server). However, your R/3 and CRM business systems will probably not need a local AE. These systems have plenty of ways to communicate with XI and can still use the central AE along with proxies and IDocs.

Some reasons for a decentral/local AE include:

- organizational, security restrictions

- performance, high availability

- protocol requirements (e.g. ftp not allowed and NFS from central AE can't be realized)

Regards,

Jin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks y'all...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nainesh,

I m quite not clear with your question.Adapter Engine can be hosted on any business system runnin on WAS 640 and has java instance .

Your XI is sittin on WAS640 and has java instance . So adapter engine is hosted there(in the XI server java instance). R/3 may be sittin on WAS620 but i dont think it has a java instance .It is the same with CRM also.

R u tryin to host adapter engine in someother business system ?

regards,

aravindh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think i understand this more clearly now. So what i need is just a single WEBAS640 unicode ABAP+ JAVA instance with the XI components.

And the rest is basically the configuration which needs to be done to connect the external SAP/NonSAP systems.