cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Start WorkprocXX, 1 times since system startup.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Getting a bunch of messages like this is the system log:

Start Workproc14, 1 times since system startup. PID 21175

Looking at the trace file for one of these I see stuff like this:

Tue Jan 6 07:03:44 2009

WP has reached abap/heaplimit = 40894464 bytes

Tue Jan 6 07:04:19 2009

ThNeedWpRestart: abap strategy == kill, restart

ThWpRestart: restart wp (pid=21140) automatically

Disconnecting from ALL connections:

Nothing seems to be failing but I haven't been able to find any doco on this. So what's it telling me - that the processes are using too much memory?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai,

You are right this is due to abap/heaplimit parameter.

If the value of abap/heaplimit has been reached, the work process is restarted after the dialog step has ended. If the consumption of heap memory exceeds the quota abap/heaparea_(non)dia, the user context being executed at this time is cancelled before it can be completed.

Always the value of the parameter abap/heaplimit should be smaller than abap/heap_area_dia or abap/heap_area_nondia, so that the dialog step that is running can still be executed. This prevents the work process from working against the operating systemu2019s swap space limit.

In your case the wp in question has reached the heap limit and then it got restarted.

This is common, but if you want to overcome this issue you can tune the memory parameters, but you need to be very careful in doing that. Because bad tuning can lead to poor performance of the system.

Have a look on the below link:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/02/962acd538111d1891b0000e8322f96/frameset.htm

Regards,

Yoganand.V

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Yoganand, an excellent response. And unusually the sap help at the link you included is concise and comprehensible! Interestingly we haven't changed system usage, hardware or profile parameters recently - we upgraded the kernel which seems to have increased the wp restarts.

Answers (0)