cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trial Version on Vista - basic directory issues and parameter issues

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have installed the 7.01 version on my Vista Home Premium (with SP1) laptop. The installation was almost hands free, although you should add information on creating the loopback adapter to the instructions (to allow the system to start when no internet connection exists).

Now the issues...

1) I want to change some system parameters... but they are all display only in transaction RZ11. The parameter "transport/systemtype" is set to CUSTOMER and this seems to stop me editing any parameters. So I cannot try to fix things as detailed below... how can I get to edit parameters?

2) The logical directories are invalid - for example DIR_TRANS points to "
my_host_name\sapmnt\trans" with my computer's name in the my_host_name part of the expression. This cannot be resolved to a physical path. In Vista, the transport directory is in C:\SAP\trans. This error can be traced back to parameters SAPTRANSHOST and I also see most of the parameters relating to local and global host path names have this "
my_host_name" in place - GLOBALHOSTPATH and LOCALHOSTPATH to name just two of them. I believe that all of these need to resolve to physical directories. I have tried creating logical file names using transaction FILE in the hope that the system would resolve these, but the few programs that I've debugged do not try to resolve logical/physical file names. Changing all these parameters would be a daunting task, even if I were allowed to change them!

3) Many other functions are invalid due to 1) and 2). For example SPAM cannot import files because it goes after the unresolved path name "
my_host_name" at some point in the proceedings. Also, some basic IMG activities fail because some really fundamental tables contain invalid entries - for example table TFPID contains entries such as field HOMEDIR set to "C:\usr\sap\NSP\DVEBMGS00\work" which simply does not exist!

4) The remote destinations are incorrect... there is an internal entry called "my_host_name_NSP_00" for example, but table TFPID contains a reference to "WDFD00143292A_NSP_00" which fails when the system tries to use this value as a remote destination. I simply don't know where it got that host name from - it's not from me!

The TFPID examples were things I found when trying to use the IMG SAP Netweaver -> Application Server -> Installation Services - I was trying to see if there was any way that I could fix the problems from 1) and 2). I stopped there, because it seems that some of the most fundamental tables are incorrect. In conclusion, the Trial Version 7.01 does not seem ready to be used with Vista.

I would appreciate any help with this!!!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

2) I had experienced same path problem in NW7.0 on XP and I solved it by creating C:\sapmnt\trans directory myself and sharing the folder. It doesn't exactly looks for C:\SAP\trans so the new path will fit with the network share path
host_name\sapmnt\trans. Just be sure with vista's strict sharing policy and make the folder +rw by anyone.

1) Why dont you try RZ10 or editing manually from C:\SAP\NSP\SYS\profile directory ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

To Can: I created the new directories under the C:\ root, but debugging through the ABAP I can see where the system is trying to do OPEN DATASET and similar commands with the parameter values - so it needs a physical path name. I'm not familiar with RZ10, it seems to be asking me to create a profile and I'm not sure what that means exactly or what the consequences would be. The physical profile directory (C:\SAP\NSP\SYS\profile) has files in it but I couldn't find the string DIR_TRANS in any of them. I wouldn't feel confident editing these files anyway.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Sm1tje
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, I won't be able to help you with this. So why the reply? Because of the following issue I'm having.

You have installed SAP trial version on Vista Home Premium succesfully, almost handsfree so it seems. Did you have to perform some pre-settings before installing the trial version? Because, when I'm trying to install it, it gives me a message that the installation was successfull, already after a minute or 5 to ten, which is way to fast of course. But this is because the maxDB was not installed at all during the process. Does this is any way sound familiar? Would appreciate some help, thanks in advance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

To Mickey: I got the 2 RAR files into one directory, extracted the part1.rar file, and in that new folder there is a file called start.html. I opened this, and followed the links on the right, from "Welcome" to "Getting Started". After all this I had the SAP Management Console, as well as the Database Manager applications created. You will find the specific instructions for setting up the MaxDB under the "Getting Started" link. After setting up the Database Manager you have to start it up with a user-id and password which was created during the set-up, and specifically link the database to the NSP system. I seem to remember that this didn't work at first, because the Database Manager shortcut does not run the program as an administrator. So run it as an administrator! I altered the shortcut's properties under the shortcut/advanced so it will always run the program as an administrator, and haven't had any problems - once you have done the "Add" procedure you may never need to re-visit the database manager.

Edited by: Paul Wright on Jan 8, 2009 2:03 PM

Sm1tje
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Thanks again, and good luck with your problem.