Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The difference between SOAP adapter and WS adapter in PI 7.1

ik69
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello all,

can anybody explain what is the main difference between SOAP adapter and WS adapter in PI 7.1?

I have checked this [link|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwpi71/helpdata/en/0d/5ab43b274a960de10000000a114084/frameset.htm]

but was not able to find the real difference.

Or better, what can I do with WS adapter I can't do with SOAP adapter? What are their advantages/disadvantages?

Thank you all, Igor.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Igor,

The SOAP adapter as of today supports already asynchronous messaging, however with proprietary means since there was no standard available before, now the WS-RM protocol is supported via an own entry in the integration engine (implemented in ABAP) and not the adapter engine. The XI 3.0 and XI 2.0 protocol will still be supported as well.

WS Adapter :

1)Supports Multiple Synchronous Operations

2)No Local Processing within AAE

3)No SOAP Action

SOAP Adapter :

1)Allows Local Processing in AAE

2)Exaclty One Operation per Interface

3)Modules for Receiver Adapter

regards

Ganga

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yeah, and as michal said, additionally, since WS adapter is part of Integration Engine, it may be used for direct communication between 2 application systems with Web Service interface (no need for middleware), just like you do IDOC-to-IDOC between 2 R/3 systems without XI.

WS Runtime (7.1) is the new version of Proxy Runtime (7.0).

Regards,

Henrique.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

In addition to RM, ws adapter also support other ws standard like SAML which is not available in SOAP adatper. Beside:

if your sender or receiver is SAP system, you can also monitor the message in the sender/receiver in addition to the PI box. This is a very good thing, because sometime the MONI in PI shows nothing wrong, but the MONI in your receiver will show you error message that's only related to the receiver system.

However, if you define ws sender CC, and your ws client doesn't support RM, you will have issue sending ws request.

And ws CC will generate ws runtime in PI box, if your configuration is wrong (like user name and password not correct), even if you correct it, the ws runtime sometime won't be regenated based on the correction. In this case you need to delete the ws CC/agreement, and re-create it with all correct information.

Beside make sure your basis team configured the PI system properly regarding ws. If not, you will have lot of pain to figure the problem which was my case.

Jayson

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

In addition to direct connection, WS adapter supports Tentitive Update, Confirm & Compensate (TU C&C Interface Pattern). You can do reliable messaging using WS runtime i.e sequencing.

Regards,

Sreenivas.

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

>what can I do with WS adapter I can't do with SOAP adapter?

with WS adapter you can create direct communication link

between two systems that use ws runtime

so you can connecto two ERP systems without the use of integration engine

(you only configure the connection in ID but XI does not take part in the flow)

Regards,

Michal Krawczyk

http://mypigenie.com XI/PI FAQ

Former Member
0 Kudos

Michal please correct me if I am wrong.

"only XI Java stack will take part in the flow and ABAP stack will not take part so it is faster."

Only Adapter engine will doing the process.