cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warehouse Management- General question

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can anyone help me understand the advantages of assigning "two storage locations to one warehouse"

For example, in my company there is a building that physically divided into 2 storage locations (S1 and S2), and planning to having one warehouse for these locations. The question is:

How does the putaway and picking strategies work when I move the stock from one storage location to another

as unique master data can be maintained (combination of putaway/picking and section indicators).

Please help me understand this scenario, I never worked with this combination

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Amar,

All picking and putaway strategies are configured for the warehouse, regrdless of the different plants or storage locations assigned to it. I have seen 2 different plants & Storage locations (one government & one contractor) assigned to the same warehouse. This was done to maintain ownership of the stock. You can also do this if you only have certain people authorized to pick/pull from one or the other Sloc, but not both - You can set identify which Sloc they have authorization for.

Other than assigning the warehose number to the Plant/sloc, no additional config is required because config is maintained at the warehouse level - not the plant or storage location level.

So, for stock transfers...Assume you have FIFO for both picking & putaway stragey for WH001, storage type 001. When you transfer stock from S1 to S2, it will use the FIFO picking strategy for WH001 to remove from S1 & FIFO putaway stragey for WH001 to place into S2 stock.

Now, if you maintain stock physically in both storage locations and all S1 must be in one are and S2 must be in another - when you transfer, the stock physically moves to the other side - then you may want to consider creating different storage types - this will prevent S1 stockfrom being put away on the S2 side. Without this, the above example would place the stock in S2 but possibly in a bin located on the S1 side.

I hope this helped.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Many companies maintain more than one SLOC and attach it to the same warehouse. However, the putaway and picking strategies work the same way as in case of single SLOC attachhed to a WHS. For Sloc to Sloc transfers the stock will be placed in the posting change area 922 (interim st type). Try doing some sloc to sloc transfers and see where the stock is getting posted.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Same question as above