cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WM question

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,

Can anyone help me understand the advantages of assigning "two storage locations to one warehouse"

Example, in my company there is a building that physically divided into 2 storage locations (S1 and S2), and planning to have one warehouse for these locations. The question is:

How does the putaway and picking strategies work when I move the stock from one storage location to another with unique master data maintained (combination of putaway/picking and section indicators). Please help me understand this scenario, I never worked with this combination

Happy new year. Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The same warehouse number is assigned to different plant / storage location combinations. However, there is only one plant with stock distributed amongst three storage locations for quantity-based Inventory Management reasons. This may be because the materials belong to different product lines or have different owners.

If you want to have the different putaway and picking strategy, you can define the separate storage type for two storage location, then you can have the separate putway and picking strategy as well. In addition you had better define the storage type indicator to enhance the putaway and picking strategy, you can find the field at the warehouse management 1 view to use them.

And if you only want to transfer the stock from one storage location to another in IM, you should use MIGO or MB1B to do it. Then WM will get the correct storage bin of the specific storage type in the material master data according to the strategy you defined!

Hope it can help you!

Good day

Tao

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Tao.

But the problem is these indicators are Warehouse dependent. In my plant:

They are two storage locations (L1 and L2) which are physically a bit far. So, bins in location L1 is different from that of L2. So, when we move the material from one location to another (from L1 to L2), I need a specific bin to be picked in L2

This cannot be acheived if we assign to same warehouse as both the locations are assigned to same warehouse and indicators are unique for a warehouse.

So, when we move stock from L1 to L2, Trasnfer order needs to be created "manually", pick the bin manually from L1 and the stock is moved to exact same bin in L2.

But the required solution is for the system to understand the bins in L2 and propose a bin automatically.

So, is there a way to define seperate set of indicators in material master for same warehouse but different storage location (Provied the warehouse is assigned to both the locations in config and the material is extended to both the locations)

Thanks for helping me a lot.

csaba_szommer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Amar,

You can define different stock removal and putaway strategies for your SLocs, please carefully go trough SAP online help:

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_04/helpdata/EN/c6/f8443d4afa11d182b90000e829fbfe/frameset.htm

(Please check SPRO > LE > WM > Interfaces > IM > Define Storage Location Control. For records of storage type search, you can use SLoc reference indicator (V_T334T-LGREF) and this allows you to assign different search records to different SLoc within the same WH)

Regards,

Csaba

Edited by: Csaba Szommer on Jan 4, 2009 6:14 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Csaba,

If my understanding is right, with the help of storage location Ref number (Ex: 01 is my storage location reference) I can assign a different storage Type search strategy for "Same indicator" mentioned in Material Master.

So, if I have 2 storage locations- S1 and S2, I can have one strategy for S1 and use the "storage location indicator" to have a different strategy for S2 using the same Master data.

Please suggest.

csaba_szommer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Exactly!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I knew, thinking of physical location of two storage locations, they are a bit far, so I suggest you to use two storage type for them, when you create transfer order manually, you can Pick up the part from storage type S1 of L1 in the TO, and assign the storage type S2 of L2 to the destination bin for putaway, then system will search the next empty bin in the S2 during material transferring.

As to the indicators of WM, in material master data you can only assign one set of indicators for the same warehouse number, not for storage location, so if you want to do movement between two storage location within one warehouse number, you must create TO manually. That's it!

Good day

Tao

Answers (0)