cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application Server Memory Requirements from 4.6C to ECC 6.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

The projected physical memory increase for the Application servers from 46C to ECC6 appears to between 45% - 66%. This is based on the delta notes 517085, 752532, 778774 and 901070. It also appears from a presentation from Christian Oehler called "Transition and Upgrade to SAP ERP" to be the case.

I cannot find anything in the above referenced SAP notes that indicates where this additional memory is consumed, so I'm concerned SAP is factoring in new functionality and/or JAVA stack in this. Furthermore we have upgraded our HR system from 46C to ECC6 sometime ago and included JAVA and saw around a 20% memory increase.

We are doing a strictly technical upgrade and are not turning on new functionality at this point (no JAVA stack), we are also not increasing user population. Our Test Systems, which have production data volumes do not reflect any growth in this area, but we are not stressing it with user load.

Does anyone have an idea of what we could/should see given the nature of our upgrade? We are preparing for a 25% increase in App server memory, but not for 50% plus. We are not doing a sizing exercise since this is just a technical upgrade and the GLFU service has yet to start.

If anyone has any insight into what should be expected or what they have seen for memory requirements from 4.6C to ECC 6.0 Application Server sit would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

More memory is required because ECC 6.0 is much more huge system than 4.6C. If you are planning to increase server memory by 25% only, than you can see performance problems if system will be heavyly used. But it depends mainly on number of WP and active users. 25-50% more memory is required if you are not installing J2EE addin afterwards. If you are planning to convert the database to Unicode, than you will need an additional memory....

It's not easy to say 25% will be enought or 50% is required, but I would suggest to go to 50% at least.

Jiri

Answers (0)