Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lock table overflow and background jobs are not running please explain

former_member763005
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

There was a lock table overflow in our system.After the time the lock table over flow ocurred, the periodic jobs did not run.(there were no jobs in cancelled ststus).

If i am correct ,when the lock table over flow occured the atleast some dialog and background work processes were free then ideally the background jobs should have ideally started if not completed.

But job did not start at all..please tell what could be reason.or tell me how to analyze..

Thanks for your reply.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Pls check the count in SM12

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member763005
Participant
0 Kudos

its a really huge number..normally we see entries around 200-500..but wen the overflow occures the entries were aroubd 17500...but my question is why did the background jobs fail to start...

Thanks for your inputs...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The reason can be that the Background jobs would need the tables locked for its activities. Hence since the tables are locked, it could not do that.

The reason can also be that due to this locks , there are no background processes for this

As a first step, i would suggest to call the user locking the most no of tables and ask the reason for the same.

Delete his session if he is fine with it and then start the jobs manually

former_member763005
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply.I have a doubt.If the lock table is overflowed will the workproceses will also be engaged(both dialog and backgroud).Because if the work processes are free the background job should have ultimately started ,but it did not...

Thanks...for the reply..

Former Member
0 Kudos

In most cases, If the lock table would not have any vacant places for additional update records, user initiated (e.g from transaction) request for update (from dialogue process ) would see in the status bar something like this: "Lock table overflow..", so dialogue wp wouldn't be busy any more.

Vladimir