Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roles Upload Not Working in my ECC 6

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am trying to upload some roles from one of my testing system to sandbox using upload option in PFCG.

When I proceed to upload roles with the file from my desktop which having roles (downloaded roles from test system) I am getting following message and I am unable to upload the roles.

"The file does not contain any valid data"

Both systems are ECC6 and my test system is fine with upload. Please advice what is the problem.

Regards,

Sri Vandan.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sridhar,

If you are doing Mass Download of roles, then please save the file with .SAP extension and then try uploading the file.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,

Neeraj

7 REPLIES 7

jurjen_heeck
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is most probabely a codepage issue. See my second reply in the thread:

0 Kudos

Hi Jurjen,

I am not getting any parameter setting while doing the download / upload.

Also I didn't find any hashes at the lines starting with AGR_HIERT. I think this is not related to code page issue.

More over I am able to upload same file to another system without any problem.

Regards,

Sri Vandan.

0 Kudos

> I am not getting any parameter setting while doing the download / upload.

Now I'm puzzled. I would expect that in the file dialog box, below the file name.

Maybe this is dependent on your GUI version? Anybody know this?

> Also I didn't find any hashes at the lines starting with AGR_HIERT. I think this is not related to code page issue.

That's not relevant here. Different problem but (I think) same solution.

> More over I am able to upload same file to another system without any problem.

Most probabely the other system has the same codepage as the system you've downloaded from.

Edited by: Jurjen Heeck on Dec 30, 2008 3:00 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sridhar,

If you are doing Mass Download of roles, then please save the file with .SAP extension and then try uploading the file.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,

Neeraj

0 Kudos

The original posters' message is "The file does not contain any valid data". How would that be related to the file name extension? He is obviously able to open the file itself, at which point the name doesn't play any role anymore.......

0 Kudos

Jurjen is correct that this is a code page issue and that the ability to select the correct code page on a role download is SAPGui related but also SAP release related. I first noticed this a year or so back when I went to the 7.0 GUI. My current SAPGui is 7.10 so I always have the option to select the codepage on an ECC 6.0 system. If I connect the same Gui to a 4.6C or 4.7 system the role download doesn't show the ability to select the codepage (because those SAP systems aren't setup that way).

We first had this on an ECC 6.0 project where we wanted to bring in roles from many other earlier systems (to acquire some best practise roles rather than re-inventing the wheel each time).

The key is to be able to select a code page that works for the export and then use the same code page on the import - but if the Gui isn't giving you the option to set the code page, via the parameters option, then you are stuck.

If you have access to both systems where you want to export roles out of and into, just doing the role download on the same SAPGui version should be ok - our issue was we were trying to re-use roles exported from my different systems.

Failing that install the 7.10 Gui, as I can export roles from the 4.6C / 4.7 and ECC 5.0 systems into ECC 6.0 without any issues.

If one system works for export to another system and they are different SAP releases this probably does mean both of those systems are on the same code page setting. Other option is to check the code pages on the systems and see if these can be brought in line (you may need to do this anyway to save further problems later on - as mixed code pages on SAP systems caused one project I was working on to lose information when a CRM box was sending data to an ECC 6.0 system - which could have been disasterous if it hadn't been spotted at data cutover before go live).

0 Kudos

Thanks for that. I thought it was a Gui version issue.

One workaround I know is to use a good ASCII editor like UltraEdit which is capable of converting the download into another codepage....