cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDN is too nerdy! Please add a more functional, business-oriented perspecti

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everybody,

Quick message ... I think ISDN is too nerdy ... too much focused on technological wiz bang features that are not within reach of a HUGE part of the SAP users community ... too much removed from functional, business-oriented issues ...

Though I like to educate myself in the area of Netweaver, and I understand this is the wave of the future, I believe SDN is overemphasizing the new stuff.

Here a suggestion: SAP, please buy the copyrights of the newsletters FICO Expert, BW Expert, SAP Professional Journal, etc and make those publications (or similar content) available FOR FREE on SDN.

Hey, that would make SDN rock!

---Hugo

PS. I'm wondering how many SDN readers feel the same. Do we have only ABAPers on this forum? Are FICO, MM, PP and SD consultants welcome here?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (9)

Answers (9)

Former Member
0 Kudos

As an open community, its upto us to define the business/functional content.

If we find it nerdy, its upto us to change it.

A valid point, though, this is exactly why I started the "Architect's World" series to marry up business and technicals thanks to a meeting with Shai.

So, lets do our bit to change it the way we want it to shape up.

Thank you and best regards

Kartik Iyengar~

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, Hugo was right ... SDN is nerdy ... if you equate nerdy with very technical content + tools + discussions, for very technical people (primarily developers)... and "cool" in a techie way.

He was also right that SAP needed to add more business and functional content. Let's call it: something to bridge the gap between technical (I.T.) and business (LOB). Kartik seemed to hit on that point in his latest comment.

Many of you agreed: Aby, Michael Derry, and others: we need a better area that's not so technical, but that relates more to non-developers.

Hugo also challenged us with "Let's hope SAP is listening." Well, we were... as we always are...

Other folks objected out of concern that SDN would lose its focus on the very technical developer. I suspect they were worried that SDN would lose its sharp focus and get watered-down. We took that viewpoint, as well. After all, SDN is a very successful and passionate community and resource, and we don't want to mess it up.

If you take a look back at my post to this forum thread on April 4th, you'll see that I gave a very big hint to "keep watching this space..."

Today we opened the curtain a bit on a new area that's more business / functional oriented. It's a sneak preview of an area for an emerging role we call the "Business Process Expert." See the sneak preview site at https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/developerareas/bpx

Also please read my blog and listen to my podcast on the topic of Business Process Experts (and the BPX community) at /people/marilyn.pratt/blog/2006/05/13/business-process-expert-whats-the-big-deal

Meanwhile, SDN remains SDN. It'll remain the place for our most technical users, primarily developers plus systems administrators, and technical architects, to convene to tackle the great "nerdy" topics in depth. In short: Nerds rule on SDN.

Please comment on the blog, in this forum, in other BPX forums.

I hope this is more proof that we're listening closely, and we're doing all we can to respond to the needs and interests of this community. You have the power...

Best regards,

Mark Yolton

Former Member
0 Kudos

First, SDN is <b>supposed</b> to be very technical ("nerdy"), for developers. That's the target.

However, we have been listening carefully. We recognize that there are un-met needs for a more business oriented approach, among other things.

Now, "business" can mean alot of different levels (CIO? LOB? an end-user of SAP applications? business analysts? application solution consultants?).

Keep watching this space <a href="http://sdn.sap.com">(SDN)</a>) for an expansion into the next logical space (more business oriented) soon.

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming.

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I found the discussion here around what areas could be considered more business-oriented very interesting.

Examples given so far: BI/BW, ESA, Business Solutions (SCM, SRM, PLM). Where else do others see the business content "emerging" inside of the developer conversations? I'd love to hear what others have to say about the subjects that would be more appropriate from a more functional, business-oriented perspective.

Marilyn

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think the SDN, nerdy or not...Is so great the way it is...You know...It's SAP <b>DEVELOPER</b> Network, right? And it should be oriented to developers and technology...And we're the technology? Of course, inside ABAP, JAVA, PHP, ROR and all of the complementing stuff.

I think that there should be enough room for everybody, but please the SDN as techie as it is...That the way I love...And that's one of reasons why I become a Blogger

-;)

Greetings,

Blag.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am an ABAPer and I do functional stuff .. mostly development and maintenance work and I really must agree entirely with Hugo. SDN needs to keep on doing ist good work and focus on practical reality .. to serve those thousands of us out here fighting with this nerdy complex uncommented intimidating mass of patchy looking code which is SAP .. Almost all of us have no sign of Netweaver on horizon yet..

I have now been working on 3 different SAP customer sites with hugely different configurations and international teams and I tell you we all need help to do what customers want with max effect eg. less hours to complete the job.

Why do you think ABAP forum is way most popular?.. because there it is day to day reality people asking for help and getting it thankfully. Please keep that up.. We all spend a lot of time with the debugger..so the recent sessions are useful but not many I know are even thinking about Netweaver yet.. we are still struggling with the mess that is already created without making it more complex and even more difficult and expensive to maintain.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

SDN might still be too SAPish , well I think we will have overcome the milestone when non SAP aware folks come to this site to check out new stuffs or to find sample codes, best design practices for Enterprise solutions etc. This would also mean if I typed in "Sample EJB code" in Google one of the links would point to SDN. I am optimistic of this happening sooner than expected.

I would also love to see SAP figure easily as a formidable platform to the "average joe" enterprise application developer. Right now its still the IBMs ,BEAs and JBosss (I think)

Regards

Pran

eddy_declercq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The fact that SDN stands for SAP Developer Network (see also banner) is more than self explaining to me. I'm very happy with this community site and love it!

Former Member
0 Kudos

However,

in my opinion this community have a right mix of functional and technical points of view...

I'm not a real ABAPer, I'm not a functional expert of any area (because working in BW allows me to know a little of all, but not so much and enough to make me an 'expert')...

so, by living in SDN everyday, I often run up against too technical issues, other times I have to face functional/philosophical arguments...

Variety is the spice of life...and, honestly, I feel good in this way !

Roberto

ssimsekler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi SDNers

It would be certainly marvellous (at least for me) to have a website with a huge catalog where I can find all the staff I can ever think about SAP. However, the quality of such kind depends on other factors which are in trade-off relationships with each other.

More content, but also easy to reach, easy to share, user-friendliness, stability and I believe you can add more than I can.

So it is the SDN site developers' decision to put that much content which they can handle.

If they have somehow restrictions (resources, time, ...) of course the priority should be of "Developer" aspect since, as mentioned, it is SAP <b>Developer</b> Network. And, reasonably and commercially, SDN will focus on Netweaver Technology and SAP innovations more. However, some functional content will not harm unless it is handled.

For the moment, ESA, BW and some other sections have some functional issues as I can see.

I believe that; as all SAP architects, the developers of SDN are also so smart to deliver as much they can handle. This is one of the guaranteering valves of SAP quality, I believe.

I love SDN and thank to SDN architects as many as the number of letters the SDN site contents have...

*--Serdar

eddy_declercq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I agree with you, but one needs to take care that information can still be found/retrieved easily. I had already troubles finding a weblog that I've read the other day and I didn't know the author nor the exact title.

Eddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

For me SDN is the right place for technical information. I am glad that there is a place where I can look up technical information.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello, I am a Basis/Portal Administrator in the 6.40 environment (infact I just passed the 6.40 Portal/KM certification exam). I use SDN everyday either to keep up on new events or search for technical threads in the forums. I agree with the comments that it would be nice to have more business related content, however I feel that it would not hurt SDN to provide even more technical content. I like nothing more then finding a technical solution on SDN before OSS. In short the more content SAP can deliver in all areas the better. As long as SDN differentiates between the deep technical content (for the nerds amongst us) and the more business related topics then more content will make a already outstanding site even better.

Former Member
0 Kudos

An opposing view from an Engineer...

It's funny you mention that. I think SDN is too abstract and not technical enough. This is the SAP "Developer" network, not the SAP "Business" network. Maybe you want to spend more time in Service Marketplace rather than SDN.

I'm personally getting tired of seeing nothing but PowerPoint slides and PDF white papers. Where is the meat? I don't see alot of "concrete" technical documentation -- mostly conceptual stuff. The pretty circles and boxes are good to understand but we also need to implement.

For instance, I keep hearing about ESA (Enterprise Service Architecture) but I've yet to see documentation on how to use a specific web service from something like .NET (outside of EP and WebDynPro). It gives me the impression that SAP is very closed? We shouldn't have to hire a consultant to show us how to use an industry-standard web service. Am I just not looking in the right place? If so, maybe the search tools need to be improved?

Thanks

Brian Trexler

reiner_hille-doering
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is a lot of concreate possibilities of using Web Services from .NET:

- Using generic Soap Entrance (available from 6.20).

- Using the new WebService feature in 6.40/NetWeaver 2004 for both Java and ABAP.

- Using XI: You can define WebService interfaces freely, generate Java and ABAP stubs, map them to other interfaces and implement them using different kind of adapters.

- Using SAP .NET Connector.

- With full ESI feature set you will get even more possibilies in near future, e.g. designing and adapting services to Compound Services and much more.

Information about all technologies available in Netweaver 2004 are available on Service Marketplace, e.g. service.sap.com/connectors.

We also have a special .NET interoperability Area ( https://www.sdn.sap.com/sdn/developerareas/dotnet.sdn?node=linkDnode1-2 ) and a forum ( )

gregory_root
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hugo,

As managing editor of the SDN Suite "ESA Today", I invite you to take a look at our content. Our exact focus is functional, business-oriented content.

You can find us by clicking on "Services" on the toolbar, then click on "ESA Today" (under SDN Suites).

Regards,

Greg

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hugo,

I strongly support your suggestion,

SAP, please buy the copyrights of the newsletters FICO Expert, BW Expert, SAP Professional Journal, etc and make those publications (or similar content) available FOR FREE on SDN.

Hey, that would make SDN a very Informative and rewarding place to be!

best regards...Aby

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aby,

Thanks for your response!

Now ... let's hope SAP is "listening" !

Thanks,

---Hugo

former_member374
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hugo and Aby,

We are not only listening, but we are already delivering.

Example: Some SAP Professional articles are available on SDN. If you search for "SAP Professional" exact phrase you find them. http://tinyurl.com/5nzwa

Thomas Schuessler talking about "Tips and Tricks for SAP Java Connector (JCo) Client Programming" is a very good example. http://tinyurl.com/5nzwa

Focus of the SAP Developer Network is on NetWeaver and surrounding technologies. That is nerdy stuff. But we are also going beyond for example in the NetWeaver Consultants Corner https://www.sdn.sap.com/sdn/services.sdn?page=consultants_welcome.htm or at the ESA Today https://www.sdn.sap.com/sdn/services.sdn?page=esa_welcome.htm.

I think you will see a lot more in the next year.

Best, Mark.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response Mark. I agree, I notice SDN is getting better everyday. Of course, we're impatient and would like to have all the good content available today and for free

Yepp, I'm just an "independent" (Dutch) consultant trying to shave $1000+ a year from his "operating expenses" (the subscription fee for SAP Professional and FI/CO Expert)

I think the great example website for SDN should be MSDN. On this website is the content of MS Journal (albeit with a delay of a month or so) available for free.

Thanks for all the great work!

---Hugo

gregorw
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Hugo,

I think SDN is the right place for Developers. If you want more business-oriented discussions and presentations then go to the SAP Community at: http://www.sap.com/community/. As far as I know there are also plans to join this Portals.

Regards

Gregor