cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Paper Size & Orientation Problem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I want to print a receipt using Crystal Report 2008 (Service Pack 1). Receipt size is 8.5 x 5.5. I checked +Dissociate Formatting Page Size and Printer Paper Size' and set the Horizontal and Vertical sizes. But the problem is, Orientation is automatically set to Landscape. But I want to set it to Portrait.

I noticed that even if you selected predefine paper size with Width is greater than Height, IDE automatically set it to Landscape. If we change Landscape to Portrait then the Width and Height will be swapped.

Programally I set the orientation like this :

rps.PrintOptions.PaperOrientation = PaperOrientation.Portrait

. But it didn't solve the program.

Please tell he how to print with paper size 8.5 x 5.5 as portrait?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Try this code -

boReportDocument.Load(Server.MapPath("CrystalReport.rpt")); 
        PrintOptions boPrintOptions = boReportDocument.PrintOptions; 

// The paper size used for this report is  '14x7'.

System.Drawing.Printing.PrinterSettings oPrinterSettings = new       System.Drawing.Printing.PrinterSettings(); 
        oPrinterSettings.PrinterName = "     "; 

foreach (System.Drawing.Printing.PaperSize oPaperSize in oPrinterSettings.PaperSizes) 
        { 
            if ("14x7" == oPaperSize.PaperName) 
            {                
                boPrintOptions.PaperSize = (CrystalDecisions.Shared.PaperSize) oPaperSize.RawKind; 
                break; 
         } 

} 
        CrystalReportViewer1.ReportSource = boReportDocument;

Hope this will help!!

Regards!!

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Amit,

Sorry for delay response. It is because I was not well during last week. Thanks for the comments too.

But it didn't work. Without giving custom paper size, I tried with the paper size PaperLedger which is in PaperSize Enumeration. It's size is 17- by 11-inches.. Width is greater than the height.

If the paper width is greater than the height CR will always print it as landscape. Even if we set orientation as Portrait dynamically (in program) , still it prints as landscape.

Is this a CR bug?

Answers (11)

Answers (11)

Former Member
0 Kudos

For point of clarification, I think what Don is saying is

"Disassociate Formatting Page Size and Printer Page Size " should be Unchecked. Ken had pointed this out earlier in the Thread on July 12th in regards to the previous attempt at the fix. I haven't had a chance to test this, yet, but will extremely soon.

Thanks,

Jim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Using Crystal Report 2008 SP3.1

Hi all,

Looking at all the suggestions provided here in this thread, I'm still unable to get my custom paper in the right direction.

Things I noticed:

-

No Printer -> Checked

Disassociate papersize -> Checked

Custom Papersize ( W10 H5)

Landscape/Portrait switching, so the solution is not working...

Default Papersize (Ledger (17' x 11') AND Letter (8.5' x 11')

Landscape/Portrait working

-

No Printer -> UnChecked

Disassociate papersize -> Checked

Custom Papersize ( W10 H5)

Landscape/Portrait switching, so the solution is not working...

Default Papersize (Label(6' x 4') AND Letter (8.5' x 11')

-

No Printer -> UnChecked

Disassociate papersize -> UnChecked

Default Papersize (Label (6' x 4') AND Letter (8.5' x 11')

-

No Printer -> Checked

Disassociate papersize -> UnChecked

Default Papersize (Ledger (17' x 11') AND Letter (8.5' x 11')

-

However, the thing is... I need to print labels, not ledger/letter or any standard paper size. Also when assigning a printer that contains a label format, it sort of works, however when switching "No Printer" checked/unchecked the paper orientation switches from landscape/portrait.

The thing is, if we can implement our own papersize when "NoPrinter" is checked, I'm saved But how can I do that?

Grz Cyrusje

Edited by: Cyrusje on Aug 6, 2010 1:53 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are yet another software company that includes Crystal in it's resalable package as the software that produces both reports and forms. We have been integrating Crystal into our product since before Crystal Reports 8.5 and moved to CR 2008 since it's initial release.

Count us among the group that is affected by the Crystal Label bug in CR 2008. We have integrated our Crystal into the package using the .NET SDK. All reports and forms are designed using the full Crystal Reports 2008 Developer and sent to our clients along with the run time as we also participate in the Developer Advantage program. Our client base is Wholesale Distributors so you can well imagine the issues we have been having with this bug in our clients warehouses, wireless warehouses, etc. as we deal with all kinds of printer models and makes. Our stated, supported printer is the Zebra line (desktop, belt printers, etc.) but we have seen the same issue in Datamax printers at the very least. We have used every work around we can find, but the time and effort that it has taken in terms of people in support, technical consulting, developement, installation consulting and management for this one issue is a little overwhelming. As software developers ourselves, we understand the priority juggling that goes on at any software company, but it has been 2 years for this one, well known, well documented issue.

Normally, I would just continue to 'watch' this thread as many people have already said so much about this one issue, but if what you need is more people saying they are affected to get this resolved, then count us in as one more company with a software product impacted by this seemingly 'harmless' bug. I even can't believe the cost of this one bug in terms of real time, real frustration, and damage to credibility that this has produced. As it has been said over and over again, you have continually promised a solution. All we are asking is that the solution that was promised be delivered. Clearly it needs to be in the developer and the integration products, otherwise I don't see how that would be a 'fix'.

We are all awaiting your promised response.

Thanks,

Jim

0 Kudos

Hi All,

There is a fix in the works, need more time to test it. One of our PM's will be updating the post shortly.

Thank you all again for all your patience.

Don

0 Kudos

Hi All and thank you again for all your patience...

There is a fix available now. If you are on Service Pack 3.0 ( [incremental |https://smpdl.sap-ag.de/sapidp/012002523100007123572010E/cr2008_sp3.exe] or [Full Build|https://smpdl.sap-ag.de/sapidp/012002523100009989492010E/cr2008_sp3_fullbuild.zip] Requires un-install first ) then installing [Fix Pack 3.1|; and check OFF the option to Dissociate Paper... will make both the Designer and .NET runtime applications work as it did in Cr XI R2.

For those who are still on Service Pack 2 Fix Pack 2.9 will also have the fix and should be available by the end of this week or early next week.

Also, as of Service Pack 3 Microsoft updated their security models so a new C++ runtime is required. Please see these Kbase articles and Forum posts for more info:

https://bosap-support.wdf.sap.corp/sap/support/notes/0001495319

Forum thread for info

Info:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package ATL Security Update and is available using the link below.

This needs to be installed before installing a setup package that uses the SP 3 merge modules.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=766a6af7-ec73-40ff-b072-9112bab119c2&displa...

Thank you all again and have a great day

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

This fix AGAIN DOES NOT WORK!

How is this possible??!?

I will again (for the third time) how i tested it.

Development in VS2008 with CR2008 SP3 FP3.1.

Note that I do not use CR for VS2008.

I also did the test in standalone version of CR2008, but with the same results...

New blank report with 3 text lines.

Right click --> Design --> Page Setup

Printer Options

No Printer/my intermec easycoder (this option does not affect the results)

Page Options

Disassociate Formatting Page Size and Printer Page Size : CHECKED

User Defined Size

Unit : centimeters

Horizontal : 10

Vertical : 5 ==> when I set this to 5 (which is less than 10) the Orientation automatically changes to Landscape. This is the big problem!!!

The paper we use for the labels is larger than it is long. But that does not mean that the orientation should be landscape. It must stay Portrait!!!

So when i look at the print preview, the label seems to be allright, but when I print, orientation turns 90° because printer thinks it has to print landscape.

Does this make any sense to you SAP CR guys?

What did you actually change in this FP? I don't see any difference with SP2 FP2.8 or SP3....

Please give us some feedback as soon as possible. We bought CR2008 more than 1 year ago, and we still cannot switch our production from CRXI to CR2008. This slows down our whole development. Crystal Reports does not seem to meet the requirements for professional use...

Has anyone also tested the new FP3.1 yet? What are your conclusions?

Regards,

Sam

Former Member
0 Kudos

It will be bad if changes have to be made to the RPT files. I wouldn't mind changing all of mine but many of my customers have purchased Crystal and created or changed the RPT files themselves. I don't know how many of these there are or where they all are.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Uninstalled both designer and the runtime. I then installed the runtime and the Full SP3 designer. I get an error when running the Designer SP3.1 hot fix. Error: "Crystal Reports 2008 FP 3.1 can not install because the version of the product on the system is to low."

I have SP3 so what is it complaining about?

My OS is Windows 7.

Josh

Edited by: Josh on Aug 5, 2010 9:52 AM

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Umm, let's make a new thread out of this post please. This way we leave this thread dedicated to the printer issue. When you create the new thread, specify the exact version of CR from Help | About.

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

In my testing so far it looks to be resolved. I didn't even update my CR files to check the dissociate Formatting & printer paper size box. I just uninstall the runtime SP2 and installed SP3.1 and it is no longer printing rotated!

My CR files were created using designer SP2.8.

0 Kudos

Hi Sam,

My apologize, the Dissociate must be checked OFF not on as I first indicated. If this still doesn't work for you then Please let me know and I'll contact you directly and get more info etc.

Thank you

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

If I uncheck the dissociate checkbox, this means that I have to choose a paper size that has been declared in the printer driver.

That works indeed. But that also did work without the fix.

What I want to do, is create a label with measurements 100 horizontal x 50 vertical without choosing a specific printer and with the "user defined size" option. This "User defined option" is ONLY available when you CHECK the "dissociate ..." checkbox.

So, I want to check the "No printer" checkbox AND check the "dissociate ..." checkbox. But when I do this, the orientation radio-box automatically sets itself to landscape if I set the measurements to 100 x 50.

Conclusion CR2008 has always worked, IF you create the papersize in your print driver in advance and then choose this in page options. this means that we have to create this papersize on each computer in our network, that's too much work, and if the papersize changes one day, we have to make the change on each computer.

You understand what i'm saying?

Greetings,

Sam

0 Kudos

Hi Sam and Cyrusje and everyone else.

This thread is getting too long and with the latest patch, relatively speaking, the issue has been resolved. Now it's a configuration issue.

So I am going to lock this thread and ask anyone who has an issue please reference the link to this thread in a new post.

Copy and paste this into your post: http://forums.sdn.sap.com/post!reply.jspa?messageID=9388862

I will answer Sam's issue but Cyrusie could you post your question anew? Also, there is a 2500 char limit and formatting is removed at 1500 to save something. Click the Preview button above to see if formatting is retained, if not break your info by just replying to yourself.

Thank you

Don

0 Kudos

Sam,

The way CR has always worked is we rely on the printer being installed and configured on each PC that is going to print. This does mean that you will need to configure the custom paper size on each PC. I will do some more testing though to see if I can do this at runtime. For Crystal Reports itself there is no work around other than to config each PC with the custom paper size.

As far as I know this is the way it worked in CR XI R2 also.

Thank you all again for your patience - we are almost there

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have the same problems as Jim.

I want to print a label with a height of 5cm on a label printer which cuts after each page. The label material has a width of 7cm.

So I defined a paper of 7x5cm, Portrait,

Directly from CR: Preview OK, Printing OK.

From our .NET app: Preview OK, Printing: Not OK (Printout is turned 90 degrees to the left, same result when printing from the preview or printing directly without preview)

I made a 2nd test with a label length of 10cm:

Now everything works fine, but this is not what I need.

3rd test: I tried to print the 10cm label on the 5cm paper:

The label was scaled to fit on the 5cm. So I can't use this.

4th test: I checked the "Dissociate paper" option (in German: Formatierung von Seitengröße und Druckerpapiergröße aufheben)

Result: Same as 1st test.

I'm working with CR2008/SP2, Win7, .NET 2.0

I tried 2 different label printers with 2 different drivers with the same result, so I don't think that it's a matter of the printer driver.

1. TSC TTP 246M

2. Zebra Z4M Plus

This has worked with CR11.5 (R2), the problem is new in CR2008.

I my eyes, this is a bug in CR.

I need a solution for this, because I can't go back to CR 11.5 because CR 2008 solved two other problems we had with CR 11.5.

Stephan

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have had this rotation issue for over a year now with no resolution. I have upgraded to CR2008 fix pack 2.6 and it is still unresolved. my labels print fine from CR2008 SP2 desginer. Desginer had this same issue back in CR2008 SP1, so there must have been something fixed in designer in SP2 but not in the .net frame work.

Thanks,

Josh

Former Member
0 Kudos

I purchased a support incident and got to talk to some folks in India. They told me that it was scheduled to be fixed in FP 2.8 and pigeon-holed my issue (141319 2010). I don't believe it was ever shown to a developer. I sent them pictures of labels produced from the designer, their viewer and my app clearly showing the problem.

0 Kudos

HI Jim,

Not sure what Pigeon holed means but the case was escalated with Technical Escalation ID 5000170760 and the Adapt ( our bug tracking system ) to patch is ADAPT01383393. It's been assigned to a developer and they have fixed it. It's now just waiting to be QA'd and released in Fix Pack 2.8

What they fixed is CR was detecting the paper size and auto-adjusting the orientation assuming this is what you wanted. The change was in the logic, now CR .NET assumes both values to be equal and we will not re-orient the paper size.

There were 2 other cases assigned to the Adapt which is why the Rep just attached your case to the existing Adapt.

Because the issue was escalated and tracked as a bug please contact the Customer Services People and ask them for a refund.

Thank you

Don

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just to fill out all the info for this issue.

The fix is being tracked by QA under ADAPT01383393.

Observed Behavior:

If the width of the report is larger than the height and the page orientation is set toportrait, thePrintToPrinter()

function swaps the measurements around so that the height is larger than the width (as with a usual portrait

setting). This means that the text is cut off as the paper is not wide enough.

This is realted to issueADAPT01327332, but still happens with the .NET SDK.

Assigned to Fix Pack 2.8 on 10.03.2010

Fix Pack 2.8 ETA: end of May 2010.

Ludek

Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/SAPCRNetSup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the explanation. This sounds very good.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hmm, fix pack 2.8......

SP3 for Crystal 2008 was released a couple of days ago, so in the hope this might be fixed in this version, and without any release documentaion, I've just installed SP3 and given this issue a test for which we are desperate for a fix.

Unfortuantely this doesn't appear to be fixed in SP3, and now I can't even get the labels to print in the correct orientation from the designer.

Here's hoping for the fix in FP2.8 around the end of May

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In order to test SP 3 as best as possible, we had to do a cut off re. Fix Packs somewhere. And FP 2.5 was it. Just a bit of an explanation. FP 2.8 has been released internally, so we're very close to getting it out there to you. Not sure if May 31 will be it, but it will be close...

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm having the same problems using CR 2008 SP3 and VS.NET 2008.

We are using Intermec printers to print on 10x5 cm labels.

I am desperately waiting for fix pack 2.8 .

It was due to the end of may 2010, but haven't seen it yet.

When do CR plan to release this fix pack?

Sam

Edited by: Sam@VL on Jun 14, 2010 12:14 PM

Sorry,

Just went to the software download page and saw that this fix pack was released last friday.

Downloading it now, will test it and posting the results soon.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I really can't believe it.

It is still NOT FIXED!!!

When I check the "dissociate formatting page size ..." option and then set the user defined format to 10 cm horizontal and 5 cm vertical, the orientation keeps switching to landscape...

How is that possible??!?!

Sam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Fix Pack 2.8 has been released but the issue still remains. I just installed CR2008 runtime 2.8 in testing this custom paper size, it is still an issue! The text gets rotated just like it did before. Is there anything that you have to do to the CR file in Designer?

Josh

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is terrible. You made us wait months with this promise of a fix.

0 Kudos

Hi Sam,

Which printer are you using? I've contacted Intermac to see if I can get a printer for testing and either escalating to R&D or finding a work around for these printers.

SP 3 was just released also, possibly the fix is in there...

Please test and let me know?

Thanks again

Don

0 Kudos

Hi Sam,

Which printer are you using? I've contacted Intermac to see if I can get a printer for testing and either escalating to R&D or finding a work around for these printers.

Thanks again

Don

0 Kudos

Hi Sam,

Thanks again

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

I'm currently using an Intermec PM4i printer and FixPack 2.8

I've made some extra tests yesterday and I partly got it to work.

In Page setup of the report :

if I select the printer I will be using AND a paper size (which I created earlier in the printing preferences of the driver) then I got it to print correctly.

Disadvantage from this solution is that I have to create in the driver on each computer the paper sizes I will be using.

In the past I just used user defined paper sizes. I did not have to do anything in the print drivers.

If I test FP 2.8 with the user defined paper sizes, it still switches to landscape if the paper width > paper height...

Our problem is that we are using 5 different printers and also 7 different paper sizes. So that gives us a lot of overhead work to configure all these print drivers.

I'd really like to have this problem fixed as soon as possible. We have been using CR since 6 years now. We wait each time at least a year to implement the newest version. We recently bought an upgrade to CR 2008, it costed us a lot o money and we still can't use it...

I'm sure you understand the urge of this issue.

Kind regards,

Sam

Edited by: Sam@VL on Jun 15, 2010 11:18 AM

I als tested SP3, but that's even worse.

I even had to uninstall SP3 when i tried to install FP 2.8, even though FP2.8 was released later than SP3...

Former Member
0 Kudos

As mentioned a couple of weeks ago, I've also tried SP3 and this is worse than before in the designer now, it won't even print in the correct orientation from there. Now I'm led to believe this may be fixed in SP3 Fix pack 1.

I'm starting to lose faith in the abilty to get priority fixes rolled out for Crystal 2008. We are desperate for a fix for this because our customers cannot use their label printers and haven't been able to do so for the last 6 months since upgrading to CR2008. Currently they are using Crystal 11 as a workaround, which is far from ideal and a real bind.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm having the same problems using CR2008 VS.NET 2008 when using label printers Intermec C4 and TSC 343C.

I tried all the FPs and SP3 in the last 6 moths and nothing solved the problem. Now I tried FP2.8 and testet much (also I tried to solve the problem as Sam@VL by creating the papersizes on all comuters). It works now on one computer, but not on all. I have no idea why on this single computer. In my opinion there is somthing better in FP2.8, but the problem is not solved.

We wait since months for a solution for this problem.

Ralph

Former Member
0 Kudos

In Crystal Reports 2008, we introduced the web-pagination to give even more pagination flexibility to our end users; unfortunately, we made some erroneous design assumptions that is being reflected in the problems that you have seen.

I am sorry to hear that the delivery of the proper fix has faced such a lengthy delay; the product management team has been made aware of this issue and is now working proactively to make sure the problem is thoroughly fixed.

Please continue to respond to this thread with the problems you are experiencing, with as much details as possible. This will help us ensure that your workflow is considered.

Regards,

Ken

Product Manager

SAP Business Objects Division

Edited by: Ken C Wong on Jun 18, 2010 11:44 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ken,

Thank you for your reply.

Here are some more details, but it is the same like in the other messages in this thread:

If I print the labels in the designer eyerything is fine. If I print the same labels in the application the paper orientation rotate.

For example my label is 40 mm wide x 20 mm high. When it is turned the print is smaller: Now the high is 20 mm and the wide is approx 10 mm. So it is still one label, but turned and is much smaller.

I know you need exact informations. But I tested so much and so it is not possible for me to tell you what I did when the porblem was solved on the one computer. In my opinon I did the same on all computers. Almost everything on these computers is equal. The only difference I know is: On the not working computer is also also a CR2008 designer(by the way what I had to buy only to print my labels from this computer). I updated all designers and all runtimes with FP2.8.

Ralph

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ken,

We are having this issue with Oki Data 420 printers. We have a 4"x1" label (setup as a custom form size) when printed on from CR2008 runtime it rotates the text and prints really small. In Designer prior to SP2 it had the same issue after SP2 it was resolved in Designer but not in the runtime. We have tried everything to resolved this issue with no luck. Our current work around is to use CR11 runtime.

Hopefully this is resolved soon!

Josh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your comments, we have this issue using Toshiba TEC B-482 and TEC B-SX4T label printers using the Seagull printer drivers. The labels are on continuous stationary, each label is 9cm wide * 3.7cm high. When printed using Crystal the print appears spread across 2 labels vertically, despite being shown on screen in the print preview correctly (horizontally). The Orientation within the Page Setup options within Crystal Designer is automatically selected to Landscape and cannot be changed to Portrait as the software incorrectly demands that because the defined paper size is wider than it is tall it must be Landscape orientation. It's almost like Crystal assumes that all printers work like a laser printer, and where the paper size is defined wider than it is tall this must be Landscape format, as A4 paper can't be output from a Laser printer in Portrait format that is wider than it is tall.

Here's hoping for a speedy solution!

Former Member
0 Kudos

We're also having this problem with CR2008 and 3" x 1.5" label printers on a Zebra TLP2844. Have tried everything suggested above and have been waiting patiently for a fix but this is becoming serious. Senior Management want our product version to be released (it runs in over 200 pharmacies in the UK) producing thousands of labels per pharmacy per day. We can't send it out in this state! Have used Crystal Reports since Version 3 and have never known problem resolution to be so bad.

Please can anyone give a reliable update as it seems the fix has supposed to have been released several time but with no change.

0 Kudos

Hi Angela,

This should be all working for Zebra Printers, all bug tracks were tested against the Zebra printer I have beside my desk. I talked to the Zebra Developers and they indicated all of their drivers use the same code so the latest drivers should resolve any issues you ahve. Have you updated your Zebra Printer driver to at least version 2.6.23?

We did not test this using the Seagull drivers for the Zebra printer. I tried their drivers once and could not make them work.

Thank you

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

The drivers are not the problem. The .Net Crystal Runtime will not allow you to print portrait if the paper is wider than it is high. You need to get your developers to fix this!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your replies. It is embarassing for us to have to require your feedback like this, but we want to do what we can to resolve this. Thanks for your patience.

This is the history of the issue as I understand it:

Crystal Reports had a problem with the designer / runtime incorrectly changing the orientation to landscape whenever the width > height.

This was corrected this in SP2, but we did not fix the issue when printing using the SDK.

FP2.8 partially repaired the problem, when a specific printer is selected, but still a problem with when no printer is selected.

SP3 changed the behavior again in the designer, making it 'worse'. I will follow up with the development team to understand what exactly was changed, but it would be good if you could elaborate (Sam / Peter).

Is there anything else that we should add to this history?

Thanks,

Ken

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ken,

Using Crystal Designer either FP2.8 or SP3 I cannot get the labels to print in the correct orientation, regardless of the setting of the "No printer" Page Setup option. I did have this working using Crystal Designer with a previous SP2 fix pack, certainly FP2.3, but this no longer works and is therefore worse than before. I have never managed to get the labels to print in the correct orientation from the SDK, regardless of the fix pack applied.

Regards,

Peter.

Former Member
0 Kudos

When you call PrintToPrinter, the Landcape property is changed to true when width > height. I have an employee that followed the code through in one of the .NET decompilers and he says:

The u201CQueryPageSettingsEventHandleru201D (among others) was added after CR11.5, and it has some code that basically looks for a width > height, and sets the orientation to Landscape. The method u201CQueryPageSettingsu201D is what causes all the headache.

public static void QueryPageSettings(QueryPageSettingsEventArgs e, PageObject page)

{

if (page == null)

{

e.Cancel = true;

}

else

{

e.PageSettings.Landscape = page.PageOrientation == PaperOrientation.Landscape;

}

}

Oddly enough the method is called from a u201CPrintingHelperu201D class. Iu2019m sure we could think of another name J.

Former Member
0 Kudos

So when is this issue going to be resolved? We have been waiting almost a year now with promise after promise of it being resolved with no results.

Josh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Same question...

Former Member
0 Kudos

An update for everyone in this group.

We've identified a fix and is currently confirming that it is able to fix the problem in all situations. We should have an update for this group by the end of next week. Again, we appreciate everyone's patience.

The fix should provide identical printing results to CR XI R2, provided that the following conditions are true:

1. You do not check the 'disassociate paper size from printer' option. (This is a new feature in 2008)

2. You do not use the multiple orientation options.

Conceptually, this fix will mean that a report that does not use the CR2008 web pagination features will behave in the same manner as previous releases. If you have FP2.7, and the fix I described above is not sufficient for you, please let me know.

This fix was delivered in the CR 2008 designer in FP2.7 (not SP3), but is not yet available in .NET. As mentioned, we should have an update for this group shortly.

thanks,

Ken

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the update Ken, I've now given this a try in CR2008 Designer FP2.8 having saved the report in Crystal 11 (where it prints fine) and I can get the labels to print in the correct orientation. Previously I had saved it in CR2008 FP2.8 with the "Disassociate paper size from printer" option selected, now this isn't set it is at least working from the designer.

So when the fix for .net is released I should be able to apply this, and the same report should then work from within our application. Hopefully!

Former Member
0 Kudos

I just bought CR2008 (updating from from CR10). Unfortunately I'm experiencing the same problem as described here by many, and I need to either downgrade or attain the fix fast. As I understand the solution is very close by, I'd like to hear an update on how close, before deciding wether to downgrade, or wait.

For your information, I have tried the different suggestions here, and the result is, that I have prints from the machine where CR2008 Designer is installed, working from both the designer AND the appilcation, but from all other machines prints are not working (the heigth/width problem) from the application.

Kind Regards

Jakob Vestergaard

Former Member
0 Kudos

I forgot to mention that the FP 2.8 is installed on the machine that works, but this is not possible on all the other machines, as this is an upgrade to the designer, and I have no designer installed on the user-machines. These just have the run-time SP2.0. I did not have the guts to upgrade these to 3.0 hearing that this made things worse for some people in this thread.

Kind regards

Jakob

Former Member
0 Kudos

For your information: I tried installing the CR2008 Designer + SP1+SP2 and finally FP 2.8 on a client machine, just to get closer to a solution.

It turns out that this makes it work. Neither CR2008 Designer alone or SP1 or 2 made a difference, but this all had to be installed to be able to install FP 2.8.

Regards Jakob

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's correct.

It works for the Designer.

The problem still occurs when you are using .NET (especially the PrintToPrinter()-method) to print the reports.

That's trhe fix we are waiting for since more than 2 years now...

Can someone at SAP check the status of this fix? Can you set a date when this issue will be resolved?

Greetings,

Sam

Former Member
0 Kudos

So what is the status? When will we see a fix?

Regards Jakob

Former Member
0 Kudos

It's all gone quiet again. Management here have decided to look at other report options now. After all a pharmacy can't run without drug labels so hundreds of our hospitals and thousands of users are affected.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ken,

almost 2 weeks ago you promised a solution("by the end of next week"). Please give an update.

Ralph

Former Member
0 Kudos

By the time we see a fix everyone will be up and running on a different reporting software. I know we are looking at using reporting services and ditching CR due to all the issues we have had with 2008. Back in the bussiness objects days and CR 9, 10 and 11 I have never had so many problems that we have with 2008. I hope SAP steps up and addresses this issue soon. I was expecting it to be release at the end of the month but it seems like that are spending all of there time with SP3.

Hope to see a fix soon!

Josh

Former Member
0 Kudos

This solution doesn't work for me.

I have a format with 20 cm width and 10 cm height, that shoud be printed in a dotmatrix printer.

In the page options for the report I have unchecked " Dissociate Page Size And Printer Paper Size" and I have indicated the PAPERNAME corresponding to the custom paper size mentioned above.

In VB.NET

Dim FormID As Integer = printer.IndiceTamañoPapel(wRS.Fields.Item("PAPERSIZE").Value, gPRINTERNAME)
 If FormID > 0 Then
        gREPORT.PrintOptions.DissociatePageSizeAndPrinterPaperSize = True
        gREPORT.PrintOptions.PaperOrientation = PaperOrientation.Portrait
        gREPORT.PrintOptions.PaperSize = CType(FormID, CrystalDecisions.Shared.PaperSize)
End If

I have tried with many options in Paperorientation (Default, portrait and landscape)

Thank you

Blas

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Make sure that dot matrix printer is Unicode compliant. Most dot matrix printers are to and CR does not work with non Unicode compliant printers.

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

So does FP4 allow us to print Portrait orientation on labels that have WIDTH > HEIGHT?

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

should. if not let us know - as long as hte printer driver supports it.

Ludek

Edited by: Ludek Uher on Mar 5, 2010 9:33 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, I've installed FP 2.4 now and it still doesn't work. It's easy to test. Preview a report that has width > height. The Crystal preview window displays the report perfectly but when you hit the print button, it turns sideways. THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED,

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'll see if I can get it tested on a label printer

Please confirm this works from the desinger but not from an app on the same computer?

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

I just built a brand new label with the Crystal Designer 2008 FP 2.4 The Label is 3 In x 1 In. I had to uncheck the Disassociate box on the Page Setup dialog to get the designer to let me specify Portrait instead of Landscape. I'm printing to a Datamax E-4203 printer with a 3 x 1 label on a spool. My RPT file only had 2 text fields - one at the top and one at the bottom with random text going all the way across the 3 inch width.

The label prints perfectly from the designer.

I opened my app to load the label into the Crystal Report Viewer 2008 (FP 2.4 on the same computer same printer). The label displays perfectly on the screen. When you press the print button, it prints sideways accross 5 labels (it used a large font so the label fits once accros the five labels)

If i print the label from my app without using the viewer first, It prints sideways on one label which caused it to choose a very small font so it all fits)

If there is some way to send it to you, I will be happy to scan the labels and send them.

0 Kudos

Hi Jim,

Unfortunately using my Zebra printer to test won't show the problem. We've done extensive testing with it an all issues seem to be resolved.

I did some searching and found the info on the datamax printer.

Have you downloaded the latest driver for that printer, Datamax_7.1.6_M-0.exe?

From the looks of things they are using a third party developer called Seagull as there driver source:

ftp://ftp.datamaxcorp.com/Window%20Printer%20Drivers/Seagull

We've had issues with the Seagull drivers before with their Zebra printer drivers, they tend to do things not to standards.

Have you contacted Datamax to see if there are any known issues with using .NET Framework as their printer dependencies or if they have a driver that supports .NET?

CR Designer may connect directly to the print driver where in your .NET app may go through the framework printer dependencies.

If after you contact Datamax and they indicate their drivers fully support what you are doing in .NET then to escalate the issue it would require you to purchase a case, we need this for tracking purposes and if it is a bug in our software you can then get a refund, if it turns out to be driver issue then none.

You can purchase a single case from this link:

http://store.businessobjects.com/store/bobjamer/DisplayProductByTypePage&parentCategoryID=&categoryI...

Be sure to tell the Customer Services Rep this case needs to be assigned to the Crystal Reports .NET Developer team.

Thank you

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is there any scheduled fix to solve this issue?

When our customers have custom paper sizes that are more widht than height, and they have matrix printers, we are installing CR XI, that works fine.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As long as you are using CR 2008, with [SP2|https://smpdl.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/012002523100009038092009E/cr2008win_sp2.exe]

and [fp2.4|https://smpdl.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/012002523100001024152010E/cr2008_fp24.zip] applied, the solution in [this|; thread should work for you.

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek,

The above mentioned technique worked for me.

In my case i had to set the print settings in order to print shipping labels from dymo label printer.

Also thanks to amit singh for coming up with this solution.

Vijay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I have the same problem. I have tried everything I can come up with but no luck. I'm trying to print a 3x1 label and it won't turn landscape no matter what I do. I am uning ReportDocument with 12.1 SP2. My old software works fine with the RDC control.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have also had this problem for over a year, tried everyones' suggestions etc. but it is written into the crystal reports program to do this and there is no doubt no fix for the problem.

0 Kudos

Wait for the next Service Pack or purchase a case on line to get a dedicated Support Engineer working on the issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don

can you explain how to get "dedicated support". I already have support from our Sap partner but they could not resolve this issue, so I would like to pay for a solution but I have my doubts that this can be resolved.

Thank you Robert

Former Member
0 Kudos

Still I didn't get the valid answer. Problem is still remaining

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shweta,

Thanks for your comments. I worked with Dissociate paper... option. But it didn't solve the problem :(.

I have installed Crystal Report 2008 with SP 1. Problem is even in CR design view, when we change the Page Size, if width is greater than the height, it will automatically select Landscape option. If we set orientation to Portrait again, then the Height and Width will be swap.

So still there is no way to print a Paper which is having the paper Width is greater than the paper (Eg. Height as Portrait (Eg. 8.5 x 5.5 as Portrait).

0 Kudos

Work around is to set the length larger than the width. 8.5 x 8.5 so CR does not auto rotate. Printing should be ignore the custom paper size and page break as required. We are workign with R&D to see how or why we auto rotate.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don

I have the same problem as the other writers but this workaround is not viable since I need to set the Orientation and size for a label and if I change the Dimentions as suggested, it will not print out correctly on each label.

Robert

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

See if this helps :

[http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.drawing.printing.papersize.aspx]

Try this, Open up the report in Crystal Designer and select Page setup and check off Dissociate paper...

With SP1 installed you can check that option off.

Regards,

Shweta