cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image Field

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a problem when I am using Image Field in Adobe Form. If I refer the image URL using the http, it will time out, although when in the design time within the Adobe designer the image is displayed properly (in PDF preview).

I am using the Dynamic Form tutorial from SDN for the project.

I looked at the forum, and I came across this article and report back with the result?

Other thing that I've noticed is when the time out occurs, the next time i run Adobe Web dynpro project it will recevie XML Form service does not running. This leads me to believe that the problem is in the setting of the J2EE engine/services.

Any helps would greatly be appreciated.

Regards,

Iwan

Message was edited by: Iwan Santoso

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Iwan,

I tried and did run the dynamic form tutorial, and it runs fine with me. I am running WAS640 JAVA SP15 (the SDN-downloadable one).

But before I was able to run it, I had quite some difficulties with the installation. Please get the configuration guide, and check your installation step by step thoroughly. I had the system running after I created a second ADSUser in the group ADSCallers. and followed the config guide paragraphs 3.2.1.1 & 3.2.1.3. That solved for me a time-out error and some connection errors. It looks like you have something similar. If it doesn't work, please post again.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the feed back. Interesting. I am still unable to display the dynamic tutorial without removing the image field that has http reference.

Do you mins listing step by step what did you to do make it work? The following are my steps, maybe you can point out what did I miss or wrong.

1. Install WAS 640 Java SneakPreview from SDN.

2. Based on installation guide, I checked that iiop services is set to always and The instance node has the PortableInitializer parameter. They did had that right after the installation, so I don't have to do anything.

3. Based on the configuration guide and your posting, I created the second user as in 3.3.1.1 and 3.3.1.3 ( I did not see the paragraph you mentioned, so I assume that's just a typo). I used the second ADSUser as ADSUser2, which I then use it on step 3.2.1.3. Maybe I shouldn't use the second one, but not sure the purpose of creating the 2nd user if not going to be used. (Update: I used the new user, it gives 302 Found error. So I used the original user ADSUSer)

4. Install credential as mentioned in step 4.2 and 4.5.1 I did remove the existing entries since it is expired on Feb 28, 2006. I use the latest version from SDN which expires on June '06.

5. Increase time out to 3 minutes, just to make sure it has ample response time before it timed out.

6. Restart the engine, just to make sure

7. Deploy and run the tutorial

8. I got time out error.

I hope you can see what I did wrong. Thanks again for the helps. This has been bugging me for weeks now.

Regards,

Iwan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry for waiting so long with replying, but I had a nice holidays!

I followed the same steps as you mentioned, so I don't know exactly what is wrong. But I did use the second created ADSuser, and it works fine for me. Perhaps you could check that part of the installation again.

About the typo in the paragraphs: I did use basic authorization, no SSL. In that case one uses chapter 3.2.1 instead of 3.2.2 (I am referring to version 1.9 of feb 9, 2006 of the configuration guide).

When I am playing on my system, I have hardly any firewall, full access to internet. It is a sandbox after all... Perhaps the mistake is somewhere outside your system?

Former Member
0 Kudos

No problem! Glad you have a nice holidays.. I certainly need it very soon

I will check it out this weekend to make sure the second ADSUser works. Do you delete the exitsting one or create a new one with different name?

My system also wide open. Only windows XP and Java installed, no other application. I also turned off the MS firewall, just to make sure I will check everything again.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Iwan,

Can you post your error message.

Are you able to display forms that do not have image?

Regards,

Shubham

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shubham,

Thanks for looking into this. Well, the error message is exactly the same with yours a while back in

I've increased the time out for the web service container as per Markus' advice, but whatever the value i put, it always timed out.

Yes, if I remove the ImageField, I can display the form correctly. The static image also has no problem. They are looks fine.

I also modified the project so that it points to exact http address for an image instead of a script, for example http://www.google.com/intl/en/images/logo.gif when I ran the application, it just timed out. In the designer, when I do this, the image shown properly under preview. Which leads me to believe that the problem lies on the ADS itself, unfortunately, I can't figure out the exact problem. To make things worse, J is able to run the same project under his system.

And other thing I tried, instead of http address, I put a directory on my local system like C:\Images\OnlineShop.jpg on the ImageField. It works fine as well, but that's not an ideal solution since the images will have to resides on the client side.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Regards,

Iwan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Iwan,

I tried this again today and to my surprise, at the first attempt I again got the same error.

Then I refreshed the page again and this time I get a message from Adobe asking about the "Should it allow the image or not?". When I say yes, the form was rendered properly.

My Adobe reader version is 7.0.5(updated yesterday).

What is your Adobe Reader version?

Somehow in your case, I get the feeling its ADS/Adobe Reader is waiting for the answer to the question I got in popup but its not able to dispplay the popup (Just a thought).

Update your Adobe Reader version to the latest from the Adobe site and try if you get lucky.

Regards,

Shubham

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shubham,

Hm.. interesting. My system is at home. I'll check it out. The other thing that make me a bit skeptical, is my roommate laptop has SP14 (full version). His office installed on his machine. I deploy and run the apps to his Java engine and it works from my computer. When I tried to deploy and run on my computer (I install it my self and it is sneakpreview SP15), it does not work.

I also remember, when I assign the Image field with static http address, the google logo address for example. During design time on the Adobe designer, if I go to the preview tab... I do get that same pop up message.

That leads me to believe the problem is not on the reader side, but I will try your suggestion this weekend since I am desperate to find the answer. If in the mean time you can thing anything else, please do post it. I'll check this thread before I start your and JW's suggestions this weekend, to make sure I have the latest items to try.

Regards,

iwan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Update:

1. I've set up a second ADSUSer and the problem I have is the no change password setting does not stick first time i set it up. Once I make sure that the setting is correct. I've been able to display web dynpro apps with interactive form (without image field, just static image).

2. I still have problem with time out whenever I used an image field mapped to a web address.

3. I've checked my Adobe reader version it is 7.0.5. Tried to refresh several times, no go. Updated to 7.0.7 but still no go.

In conclusion, I think it is time to throw in the towel. If I need the image field at client side, I'll let BASIS team deal with the config. As far for me, for learning purposes, i just do not use image field in the neart future.

Thank you all for your help. If you think i should try something else, please let me know. I'm happy to try.

Regards,

Iwan

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member214651
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Iwan,

The same functionality is implemented in one of our application, where the photo of the employee is displayed in the generated PDF. We achieved the same by creating an Image field while designing the PDF in the studio and the link of the photo is stored as a URL in the backend and upon executing the RFC we receive the URL from the internal table.

The photo is uploaded in the backend and the URL is sent as a string parameter in the table by the RFC and we bind the string parameter to the Image Field and its working fine.

Hope this helps u.

Regards,

Poojith M V

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am using Form calc script $.value.#image.href = "something.jpg" , the problem is the image some times shows up and some times doesnt show up. The script is witten in the event 'Initialzation' and run at 'Client'.

Can any one tell me what the problem can be..