cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reasons for Long Running Jobs

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I would like to know the generic reasons & areas that we should check when there is a job which is running for hours. I knew that some of them are:

1) Work Process Congestion

2) Tablespace being full

3) Insufficient disk space

4) Locked Objects

5) Insufficient Memory (abap/heaplimit)

6) Work Process trace (dev_wx)

7) Update inactive

Can you please give me some other areas that I should look at if the issue is still unidentified? Consider the issue as a generic long running job.

Thanks

Vijay

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI

The other possible reasons could also be :

Deadlocks and Lock escalations in the database.

Execution of expensive SQL statements (that can be found by putting appropriate traces)

Missing Indexes that may cause queries to process longer than usual.

Parallel Processing(that has already been mentioned above)

Regards

Chen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai,

Sometimes this happens in some reports were you have some long big nestings or big select commands which makes the DB to make a full table scan, etc...to prevent this you can use Tcode SM50 and check what programs/tables are being read/insert etc, you can also debugg the program under concern from SM50.

SM50: Select the program to be debugged Menu: Program/Session -> Program ->Debugging

Also to spread the load created by the long running background jobs you can use Parallel processing which helps in putting parts of work in free WPs and at the end it bundles out all the parts into one and gives the output. This process makes the process faster and also eases some load on the server on peak load time..normally on day times.

Check out the below link for Parallel processing..

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/EN/22/0425c6488911d189490000e829fbbd/frameset.htm

Regards,

Yoganand.V