cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSCS SQL Server Service Pack Installation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

We are using Microsoft Cluster and i completed Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Installation on Cluster.

Now when i am trying to Install Service Pack 2 of SQL Server i can't get success when both node are running.

But when i swhiched off Node 2 and did installation on Node 1 i get success.

But after finishing Installation on Service Pack 2 i can't get that service pack on Node 2.

Here i want to confirm that i have to do installation of Service Pack 2 on both node ?

Regards,

Nikunj Thaker.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Have you run the SQL 2K5 SP2 upgrade on the other node. What happens is that you upgrade the SQL Server binaries on the Clustered instances but not the local files.

If you run SP2 on the "Passive" node it will upgrade server compoments that are not cluster aware (like SSIS). I normally upgrade the Client Components first on the passive node, reboot and then upgrade all components on the active node afterwards.

On a standalone machine - all components are upgraded at the same time - both per instance and the server components so you won't have that issue.

--Kishore

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kishore,

My query is that when i try to install SP2 when Node1 is active and Node2 is passive i can't get success.

But when i switched off Node2 and try to install on Node1 i get success.

Again then i switched off Node1 and my Node2 become active i can't get SP2 there i did SP2 installation again there.

Regards,

Nikunj Thaker.