cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What can happen if the "Migration Service" is not subscribed ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dears,

I know SAP says the "Migration Service" is mandatory in case of an heterogeneous sys copy (os or Db change) of a production environment.

But I need to clarify what can happen if the customer decide do not activate the "Migration Service" in order to save money.

The customer for example can loose the support from Sap ?

regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

According to

http://service.sap.com/osdbmigration

--> FAQ

<...>

Do I need an OS/DB Migration Check from SAP in every case?

If you plan to use the target system as a production system, you need to use the SAP OS/DB Migration Check, otherwise SAP cannot give you support for the migration. You do not need the SAP OS/DB Migartion Check to migrate development or test systems. Also, you do not need it to migrate a production system for pure evaluation purposes as long as you don't use the target system as a production system later.

If you want to migrate a system without involving a certified consultant, then you do this on your own risk. Any support for the migration and for problems that result from the migration will be billed as consulting. This applies also for non-production systems. You are obliged to let a certified consultant perform the migration.

<...>

So yes - in case of problems (e. g. performance issues) SAP will bill that.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tnks for the feedback.

The question infact is:

if a certified consultant (with the proper Os-DB certification) do the Os-DB migration and the customer does not subscribe the Migration Service from Sap, what can be the conseguences , also in terms of Sap licensing ?

regards

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Licensing is a different topic, you need to have, of course, licenses for the target database.

I understnad that as:

If you have a certified migration consultant he's responsible for the migration and all the problem resulting from it - so e. g. performance problems. I'd ask your sales rep to send you an example contract for the migration service, there you (or any person understanding the legal speech) can see what is possible or not.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

SAP Certified Consultant can do the migration and he can solve if any issue raises.

But to do a hetrogenous migration you need a Migration Key, which will given by SAP once you register.

Without this key it is not possible to proceed with the upgrade

Hope it helps

Regards

KT