cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approximate size for single SAP Material Master record

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Can anyone pls let me know what is the approximate size (KB) for single SAP Material Master record.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Puneet,

if you know in which table or tables a material master record is stored you can query the following database view.

> SQL> SELECT AVG_ROW_LEN/1024 FROM ALL_TABLES WHERE TABLE_NAME = '<TABLE>';

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14237/statviews_2105.htm#i1592091

The value "average row length" is calculated when you gather statistics for a table. Keep in mind that you just get the average space for the table which is needed for one dataset .. you will also need space for indexes, etc.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Stefan, for your answer. I am interested in knowing if anyone has carried out this exercise and can give me an idea about the average value. I am a functional consultant and do not have much idea how to perform the steps mentioned by you. I am just interested in an approximate figure like 1 kb or 10 kb.

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Punnet,

as a functional consultant you will know the table (or maybe tables) in wich a material master record is saved. One material master record will represent one row in a table (i think you will know this better). With the SQL statement from above you get the average size which is needed for one row.

If you don't have access to the database directly, you can also query this view from SAP:

DB02n -> Additional Functions -> Display DBA-Views

The column AVG_ROW_LEN stores the average size of a row in bytes, so you need to divide it by 1024 to get the size in KB. If material master record is spread over more tables, you have to execute this step for every table and add the sizes.

In the end you get a result which represents exactly what you want.

Here is just a little example from our test system - i know that the table MARA has something todo with a material master record (if i am wrong, please correct me):

SQL> SELECT AVG_ROW_LEN/1024 FROM ALL_TABLES WHERE TABLE_NAME = 'MARA';
AVG_ROW_LEN/1024
----------------

So in my case a material master record needs round about 0.6 KB on average in the table MARA.

Regards

Stefan

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks this gives me a fair idea..