cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email notification as an extra step

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We want to receive a flat file, map it, send it as an idoc to SAP and send an email like a notification. Do we need to implement a BPM in XI or are there other ways to do this?

If we need to use a BPM: Which components should we need then? I suppose we need a receive component, a transformation component and 2 send components?

Could you help me with this?

Thanks in advance!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

claus_wallacher
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

Jin already replied to your questions and I can only agree with him.

For the scenario without BPM you can define multiple receivers within your receiver determination (I should have been more precise here). You need to set up interface determination for each receiver.

In your case I also would go with the BPM scenario since otherwise you cannot return any status information.

Regards,

Claus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your answers. I got an idea of the posibilities now. I still have got 2 questions:

- Because SAP r/3 is the receiver in our case (business system without a party), we don't have a receiver determination. I think we need to set up one for the email notification. Is the R/3 receiver also being listed in the receiver determination then?

- Which steps do we need in a BPM scenario? I think it should be as simple like this?

receive message - transformation - send to SAP R/3 - send email

Is it as simple this or do i miss some aspects?

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

When sending an IDOC from your R3 system, no sender IDOC adapter and no sender agreement is required.

but in your case, where you R3 system is going to receive the IDOC, you need to have a receiver IDOC adapter, receiver agreement, also, receiver determination.

Also, you will need a file adapter with a sender agreement and a mail adapter with a receiver agreement

Now coming to your BPM, the following steps are needed,

1 Receive step - to receive the file

2 Transform Step - to perform the mapping

3. Fork -- To do a parallel processing of sending and IDOC and a mail.

4. Send - 2 send steps each on the fork branch, one to send the IDCO and the other to send the mail.

For info on how to configure each of these elements, look at these links,

BPM

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/62/dcef46dae42142911c8f14ca7a7c39/content.htm

File Adapter

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/0b/9a50465ccf84479e39a6d50c90fb3f/content.htm

Mail Adapter

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/ad/bf93409c663228e10000000a1550b0/content.htm

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Bhavesh

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

claus_wallacher
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

if you want to use the email as a notofication that reports the status of the IDoc transmission (i.e. you need to wait for feedback from the IDoc processing) you need BPM. See also the following <a href="/people/udo.martens/blog/2005/09/30/one-logical-system-name-for-serveral-bpm-acknowledgements on how it can be realized.

If you only want to send a generic notification without processing status information, you don't have to have BPM in place. In your configuration you can define multiple receiver agreements, one for the SAP backend for your IDoc and one for the receiver of your email.

Of course your email then can only contain information you have available in your incoming flat file.

Regards,

Claus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Claus,

Thanks for your answer. I've got some additional questions.

Do we also need to add a sender agreement and a interface determination next to the receiver agreement when we don't use a BPM? Adding a receiver determination with the same sender and receiver (and another communication channel) is not possible because such a entry already exists. We don't have a receiver determination because of the SAP interface, should we create it?

I think sending the notification after the interface is being processed completely is better than sending the notification during the process of the interface. What is your opinion?

When the email needs to contain some information out of the messages itself we should use the mail package I think. How does this work, do you have some documentation about that?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark -

I've provided some feedback below.

Regards,

Jin

>>><i>Do we also need to add a sender agreement and a interface determination next to the receiver agreement when we don't use a BPM?</i>

The sender file adapter requires a corresponding sender agreement with or without BPM. Interface determination will be required as well. In the non-bpm case you'll have two - one for the IDoc interface and one for the mail interface.

>>><i>Adding a receiver determination with the same sender and receiver (and another communication channel) is not possible because such a entry already exists. We don't have a receiver determination because of the SAP interface, should we create it?</i>

In the non-bpm case, you'll have one receiver determination with two receivers. Once you list your two receivers and save, you'll see bottom window updated to enter/create corresponding interface determinations and receiver agreements.

>>>I<i> think sending the notification after the interface is being processed completely is better than sending the notification during the process of the interface. What is your opinion?</i>

I agree with you, otherwise, the mail is really just telling you the IDoc has been sent or in process with no information on the result.

>>>When the email needs to contain some information out of the messages itself we should use the mail package I think. How does this work, do you have some documentation about that?

There's a HowToGuide on the mail adapter:

https://websmp206.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700004556712005E/HowTo_Mail_Adapter2.pdf