cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Log File dev_server0 excessively growing over time

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everybody,

I was facing an interesting crash of the XI system recently. The hard disk of the server went full and nothing worked anymore. After some investigation I found out that the file dev_server0 was growing excessively up to several GB of size.

After stopping the engine, deleting the file and starting again, everything worked fine but the file continues to grow again.

Can anybody tell me, what could be wrong with this file? Is there some kind of logging I accidentally enabled that fills up this file - or does this look like a defect rather?

Your help is appreciated!

regards,

Peter

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

Do you have the "Trace Level" set to a non-default value...pls check in SXMB_ADM, if a value is maintained for RUNTIME - TRACE LEVEL .

Thanks,

Renjith

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Renjith,

I have this value set to '3' (Full Trace) - do you think this is the reason? I thought this setting is for the Trace in the Message monitoring... does it also affect the log files in /usr/sap/SYSTEM/DVEBMGS/work?

regards,

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

This is the reason.

I had to set the trace to 3 in our system for an OSS issue. And i got a call from Basis guy in a couple of days regarding the same thing.

Switch it back to default and try again.

Thanks,

Renjith

Former Member
0 Kudos

I will try!

Thanks for your help,

regards,

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

below is part of the mail i got from our basis person regarding the log file growing(i had to then switch the trace off)...it is in the same directory as the file you are having...

<i>"Disk space utilization for /usr/sap/XID on sapxid grew to 97% on Sunday and I found a very large log file in /usr/sap/XID/DVEBMGS61/work/ directory. It was still open so I had to stop XID before I could move it out of the files system. I put the file in /tmp/dev_server0.old."</i>

Thanks,

Renjith

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi again,

looks like this definitely solved my problem - I just had to restart the J2EE Engine for the setting to take effect on the dev_server0 file.

Thanks a lot,

Peter

Answers (0)