cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very long startup of Dev Workplace 2004s

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I installed SAP Developer Workplace 2004s on my machine and the startup time is a lot longer than in NW '04. It takes upwards of 30 minutes, when in NW '04 it would start after about 5 minutes or so. Once it's started it seems to work fine however. I assume it's because there is now a portal with KM and collaboration installed which adds to the startup time, but is this common, and is there a way to speed it up? I have a Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz with 2GB of RAM and tried both installing it directly on my PC (Windows XP Pro) and in a virtual machine (Windows Server 2003).

Thanks

Olivier

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member184385
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Oliver,

starting with NW04 Sneak Preview, i had a startup time of 40 min (on an 866 Mhz Pentium III, using VMware). I was able to bring the startup to 20 min doing the following:

- reducing the RAM of the VM to a recomended value (way bellow 1GB)

- reducing the page file size to the size of the RAM, to prevent trashing

- giving the background processes priority over gui (good on the server, problematic on a notebook)

- giving the db fresh air to breeze, aka. doing a full backup of data and log area

A lot of different areas to explore, but having a VM env. running and using the snapshot feature, gives you the tools to tune your system!

Regards

Gregor

Answers (0)