cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different UOM for the Products

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus

We have 10 products in which 6 products are having Unit of measure as Cases and 4 Products as BCF

There is no Unit Conversion between 6 products and 4 Products.

As per my understanding i have to create 2 planning areas as there is no Conversion in UOM.

Is there any other alternate way where i can create Single planning area for all the Products?

Please advice.

regards

Venu

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

In the Planning area under Keyfigure details please check the UOM box by doing so products will be displayed in their base unit of measure. Please let me know if I got your question wrong.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus

Thanks for your Valuable replies.

As per my discussion with the Users they donu2019t have any unit conversions between 6 products and 4 products because 6 products are integrated circuits (unit for this is Cases) and 4 products are gases (Unit=BCF).

If I create single Planning area for all the products by taking Cases as the unit and maintain Unit conversion in the product master as 1CASE= 1 BCF in the product master data .Then I can plan the 6 products by using Cases and 4 products by using BCF in the planning book.

After planning is done, when I send data to the info cube for reporting purpose where all the 10 products data is stored in the unit cases.

Then how to overcome this problem if I create a single planning area.

Please advise me

Percx : What is Made Up UOMS? Can you please elaborate?

With regards

Venu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Venu.

As you have maintained the CAS to BCF conversion, you do not have a problem. The IC's can be reported in Cases and the Gases in BCF's. Your BI guys shouldn't have any problem with this.

The 'made up' UOM scenario. An example could be that a universal UOM is maintained for all products called Planning UOM with suitable conversion for Base UOM to Planning UOM maintained. Simplest approach is Base UOM to Planning is 1:1.

Cheers, M.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Venu,

You can use only one planning area for all 10 products. You need not create seperate planning area for products with different UOMs.

As percx explained, planning area UOM is the key. If your PA has UOM as cases,then you have to maintain the UOM conversion from BCF to cases in the 4 products product master (actually in R/3 material master and CIF them to APO).

When you display the data at aggregate level (all 10 products) the data is displayed at the PA's UOM and at the detail level(each material), it shows it at the individual products UOM level. The system looks up the UOM conversion from products master and converts them to PA's base UOM, unless you have a setting in planning book to see all in cases or BCF.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Venu.

The UOM that is defined in the planning area is the key. This in a way acts as a bottleneck as it means that all data flowing into and out of the planning area must be in that UOM.

This also means that if you are loading products with different base UOM's they must all have conversion factors to the planning area UOM for the planning data to be useful.

Your approach should be to try and maintain UOM conversions for your different products to a common UOM that can be used as the planning area UOM. (I have seen quite a few "made up" UOM's in order to acheive this).

If you cannot do this for whatever reason, then your only option is separate planning areas.

hope this helps, Mark.