cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BI Server too slow.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello SAP Experts!

We have an SAP lab in our company and i have installed IDES ECC 6.0 and BI server and consultants are working on that. From past few days, BI server is running very very slow. What can be the actual reason behind and what can i do to run fast. It is BI 7.0 version and had 4GB Ram. I have created one user and few consultants are using the same user to login and work. Could that be the reason? Should i create each one a separate user and give to them. Or is it an issue with the database. We have MS SQL server 2005 installed for the database management. I invite your valuable suggestions. Please help me out as i have to do it now.

Thanks a lot..

Vanitha

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vanitha,

Since it's MS Windows ( 32 - bit ) you will have buffer issues, restart once a while is good for health.

Clear all the trace files which are a month old, check CCMS RZ20 and try to keep it green.

Btw are both ECC 6.0 and BI installed on the same physical server , also are both having dual stack or only abap stack.

You can follow the note suggested by Tilak for setting the parameters based on the formulas provided in the note, basically you can set the parameters using RZ10 and making entires in the instance profile.

When coming to DB side , will suggest you to have a look at the below note for understanding

Note 159316 - Reorganizing tables on SQL Server SQL 2000/2005

and implement the note

Note 879941 - Configuration Parameters for SQL Server 2005

Regards

Kaleem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Tilak,

We are into 32 bit environment. And how to set buffer parameters like program buffer(PXA). Can tou please tell me the steps. Thank you

Regards

Vanitha

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP Note: 327494 SQL Server configuration parameters

Can I suggest you to see SAP Note 110172 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283037) and activate the 3GB option on Win 2003. It will definitely improve the system performance.

For changing the buffer settings and other parameters follow the below steps.

1. Use transaction RZ10 to maintain SAP profile parameters. Be aware that warnings and error messages may occur, it may overrule the standard checks provided by RZ10.

2. Before starting the SAP instance with the new parameter settings, run program SAPPFPAR (see SAP Note 166551). If any errors occur here, save the output file.

Thank you,

Tilak

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Kaleem,

Can you please tell me some of the system maintenance tasks that can be done in this regards. And also how to check the DB stats for the database like setting them to automatic and biggest performance factor.

Regards

Vanitha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vanitha

Check the buffers on the server,

Increase the ram

Check for unnecessary background jobs

Do system maintenance

Check if DB stats for the databse have been gathered or not , i guessin MS SQL server 2005 you canset them to automatic, biggest performance factor.

Restart the system once and see

Regards

Kaleem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

There may be different reasons of slow system performance but i don't agree that if most of the users will use same UserId, it will slow the system. Let's don't concentrate on this point.

As you mentioned Windows with MS SQL enviornment you have and i guess you are into 64bit architecture(both SAP kernel and OS) so did you check the

Zero Adminstration Memory Management(ZAM) which says to delete certain parameters for the R/3 memory management(PHYS_MEMSIZE).

Thumbrule says if you are having CI+DB scenario then alloce 60% to R/3 and

40% to database(SQL)

Min and Max_paramater_mb will be responsible for SQL memory management.

Check the buffer swaps, paging and if necessary increase the buffer parameters mainly the program buffer(PXA) to atlease 400MB which may improve the system performance.

Let me know incase anything is not clear.

SQL 2005-SAP Note 879941

Thank you,

Tilak