cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SolMan 7.0 + IDES ERP 6.0 on 1 machine for 1-man-show with MaxDB?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry - I know that what I've done is unusual and somewhat suspect, but anyway: I've successfully installed -just for personal interest- both (SolMan 7.0 plus IDES ERP 6.0 SR3) on 1 machine, which is a very small PC with Windows Server 2003 x64 and MaxDB. I can start SolMan OR I can start ERP. But every time the used memory climbs up to about 10 to 12 MB.

If I would start both in parallel (but I hav'nt done that yet because I had not the courage to find it out), real + virtual memory might not be sufficient (and the mainboard of the pc does not allow more than 4 MB of memory).

Has everyone ever tried to downsize the default parameters of sapinst to the lowest possible values for a 1-man-show? I wunder what the minimum values for all the parameters of such a SolMan + ERP on MaxDB configuration might be, that would perfectly work if there would be only 1 user?

Is there any help or interest in this? If I could not receive helpful answers, it might be possible to me to provide the results of my furthers studies. But I would really prefere to make use of other collegues' experiences first. Thank you for your answer.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Sorry - I know that what I've done is unusual and somewhat suspect, but anyway: I've successfully installed -just for personal interest- both (SolMan 7.0 plus IDES ERP 6.0 SR3) on 1 machine, which is a very small PC with Windows Server 2003 x64 and MaxDB. I can start SolMan OR I can start ERP. But every time the used memory climbs up to about 10 to 12 MB.

> If I would start both in parallel (but I hav'nt done that yet because I had not the courage to find it out), real + virtual memory might not be sufficient (and the mainboard of the pc does not allow more than 4 MB of memory).

Hi there,

first of all - you're talking about Gigabytes instead of Megabytes are you?

Thought so... Anyhow, it doesn't matter how much RAM you can put into the machine, since Windows supports virtual memory, a.k.a. a pagefile.

So basically it's not a question if the whole thing would run, but rather a performance question.

The next thing is: you didn't try it. Why not? What bad thing should happen?

Move on - try it out.

MaxDB will start as well with a very small data cache.

NetWeaver will start with only a few disp+work processes and perhaps you don't need a J2EE instance.

Depending on what you want to do, you can save a lot resources.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lars, you're right, memory installed is 4 GB - sorry for that.

With the page files I've learned that one cannot assign more than 4096 xB per partition. With 3 physical drives (=partitions) I'm limited to only 12 xB as maximum. Is it that I'm wrong?

Performance is not an issue to me: a 1-man-show will tolerate any delay if it would work at all.

In the profile I've already reduced the number of dia processes and I've got a reduction of about 1 xB.

Unfortunately I'm well trained in Microsoft SQL Server but not in MaxDB, and therefore I havn't known whether the 2 products could have been joined into a single MaxDB data base - therefore I actually have to start MaxDB twice. This may cost a lot of memory.

I'm quiet sure, that there are ways to reduce memory requirements, but I'm not familiar with the MaxDB parameters. If there would be a recommendation for setting them more convenient for a 1-man-show, I would like to check them out. But to try it on my one I'm afraid that all the work that I've done (about 2 weeks until now) could be lost - couldn't it?

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Heiner,

as far as I can remember there was a kind of "trick" to have multiple pagefiles per partition by putting them into folders - I would have to google that right now, so that's your turn

Anyhow, you won't damage your installation by lowering the e.g. DATA_CACHE size of the MaxDB instances.

The database will just have to perform more I/O then.

Concerning multiple products in one MaxDB instance - that's possible via MCOD, but not like MSSQL Server does it right now.

Anyhow, the overhead per instance is usually not an issue, if you configure them correctly.

best regards,

Lars

Answers (0)