cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle license for Data Guard Standby Server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

apologies upfron in case this question has already been answered elsewhere. However, I couldn't find a clear answer to my question, neither in SAP notes, in SDN, in Metalink nor the web.

In case I have licensed Oracle DBMS software w/ Oracle, then Oracle terms & conditions apply, which means that I have to fully license my Standby Database server (again: referring to Data Guard, not a Failover cluster).

Is this also true when having licensed Oracle from SAP ? I know there are notes talking about Data Guard, esp. Note 105047. I just can't find a clear statement about the Oracle license itself.

Can anybody throw some light on me ?

Thanks

Volker

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Check

Note 740897 - Info about the Oracle license scope; Required Oracle options

Listed there is what is included in the SAP license.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus,

thanks for your answer. I think I have to be more precise w.r.t. my question. I was aware of this SAP note. It basically lists all available options that may be licensed as add-on to Oracle Enterprise edition and it tells you, wheter or not this additional feature is included in the Oracle license provided by SAP. However, Oracle Data Guard is already included in Oracle EE (I am NOT talking about 'ACTIVE data guard', which in fact is an option that has to be licensed separately !).

But all this is just about being allowed to use a specific FEATURE. My original question was, if the SAP license already includes the usage of Oracle EE sw on a standby server. E.g. usage for test systems and quality assurance is already included (if it was licensed by Oracle directly, you would need to buy addtl. licenses for these systems). But is the usage of a standby database already included as well ?

Regards

Volker

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you do not need to pay for standby database because you are not going to use both production and standby database at the same time. Same goes for SAP license.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Eric,

thanks for your answer. I just need to be clear on that: Is your statement related to Oracle being licensed through SAP (ASFU-license) or is this a gerneral statement ?

As far as licenses by provided by Oracle are concerned, the following excerpt from the licensing guide describes the situation:

"Standby: One or many copies of the primary database are maintained on

separate server(s) at all times. These systems are configured for disaster

recovery purposes. If the primary database fails, the standby database is

activated to act as the new primary database. In this environment, the

primary and the standby databases must be fully licensed. Additionally, the

same metric must be used when licensing the databases in a standby

environment. "

Regards

Volker

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

My statement was true for SAP on Oracle.

as you found out, it differs on Oracle-only licenses.