Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SE17 or SE16N

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All - I searched in forum but I did not get any resolution on this..

My question is:

1)I see difference in SE16 display(fields) when compared to SE17...is there a way I can display all field values for a given tcode in vertical columns

Eg: If look up table '/sapapo/matloc' I selected all fields as output, output displays in horizontal lines and in weird fashion..

However when I display same table in SE16 it displays field values in decent vertical columns....which doesnt in SE17.....is there a way i can display field values in vertical columns in SE17.

2) Is there a way I can disable 'Download' activity under EDIT menu in SE17......also is it fine if user have this option on PROD in SE17.

Also, in my last thread I didnot get answer to " Is that OK to assign users SE16/SE17 on SCM Production system, If I narrow down auth in SDEVELOP or S_TABU_DIS"

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you are going to have them going for direct table display, then I would recommend SE16N with the correct access. It is better in performance and has many more user friendly features.

The predecesor of SE16N (tcode "GTDIS") and variants of it (tcodes "N" and "V") have been removed in higher releases, but they worked much the same way if the user has the correct authority.

SE17 is the precedecor of SE16. I think it is restricted in it's fields because of performance problems - but I am just speculating. They are report generators and when the tables become too large, then your users will slow the system down (not to mention bypass all your organizational security in the business applications).

If the table is not going to grow large and there is a valid reason to look at it directly, look for a view in SM30 (or create one).

That would be my advise.

Regarding your second question, this should depend on how you classify your data as being worthy of protection. Without knowing which industry you are in (possibly even regulated, legal liabilities towards the data you have, etc) and which data you have in your SCM system and how it is connected to others, it is hard to tell.

Normally, there is something worth protecting, otherwise you would have used an MS Excel file on an open file share

Cheers,

Julius

6 REPLIES 6

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you are going to have them going for direct table display, then I would recommend SE16N with the correct access. It is better in performance and has many more user friendly features.

The predecesor of SE16N (tcode "GTDIS") and variants of it (tcodes "N" and "V") have been removed in higher releases, but they worked much the same way if the user has the correct authority.

SE17 is the precedecor of SE16. I think it is restricted in it's fields because of performance problems - but I am just speculating. They are report generators and when the tables become too large, then your users will slow the system down (not to mention bypass all your organizational security in the business applications).

If the table is not going to grow large and there is a valid reason to look at it directly, look for a view in SM30 (or create one).

That would be my advise.

Regarding your second question, this should depend on how you classify your data as being worthy of protection. Without knowing which industry you are in (possibly even regulated, legal liabilities towards the data you have, etc) and which data you have in your SCM system and how it is connected to others, it is hard to tell.

Normally, there is something worth protecting, otherwise you would have used an MS Excel file on an open file share

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Hi there,

Beware SE16N however, it has a gotcha if you didn't know... You can update tables directly using this transaction code, even though no table maintenance view exists for it. Anyone with google and a desire to edit tables will be able to do it if they have SE16N and the following values for the S_DEVELOP object. ACTVT:03, OBJTYPE:DEBUG...

or at least that's the case in my version of SAP - maybe they've fixed this in later versions?

Cheers,

Di

0 Kudos

> or at least that's the case in my version of SAP - maybe they've fixed this in later versions?

Then you haven't applied support packs for a very long time... or your users have incorrect authorizations in higher releases. This sometimes happens when you do a trace and give the user everything which appears in it. Now quite obviously, you don't need to give the user the full authorization for the functionality, to be able to use only a part of it in a certain way... but the system should still make all the checks in the right places...

People who are scared of S_TCODE = SE16N on its own are a bit like Santa Claus without a Rudolph to pull his sleigh...

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

)

0 Kudos

Education is completely different from being afraid. Better to share information and potential gotcha's before rather than after the fact I reckon.

0 Kudos

I agree!