Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Validations and Assignments

former_member202443
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

I like to ask if Validations are triggered automatically if data is imported from Import Manager.

e.g. Customer ID field should not be null, I have made a validation which shows me an error in MDM Manager. I like to know if several records are imported by import manager containing some of null customer IDs, does it work??? does it show me the error messages in log. Same like in RDBMS (Triggers).

Regards,

Naeem

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Naeem,

Validations can run automatically when used in workflows.For that you need to do two settings.

1) Create the Validations with Automatic Execution type as NONE.This will allow the validations to run as part of the workflows when the selected set of imported records reach the validation step.

2) You cannot connect the Start step directly to the Validate step in the workflows.So even though the Validate step in workflows will allow you to run Validations automatically.you will still have to include a process step in between the Start and Validate and assign this step to any user or role .

To know more on MDM Validations kindly refer the below links:

(Validation)

(Validation)

(Validation)

Hope It Helped

Thanks & Regards

Simona Pinto

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Naeem,

Your requirement of constraining the records to be entered into the MDM system can be achieved by using EP with APIs.

With EP as a front end and programming constrain checks you can achieve this functionality.

Core MDM does not support this feature presently.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Minaz

former_member202443
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all of you,

Thank you very much for the discussion. We can take it as an improvement hole in the SAP MDM which we can assume to have overcome in future.

Guys, I have one more issue regarding such mandatory fields. If our motivation is only to check the mandatory fields using validation. I have tried other way around means I have set the Required property of the Customer ID field to YES. In my assumption it has to be provided anyway either from Import Manager or manual insertion into MDM Manager. But surprisingly It didn't ask me to provide Customer ID in MDM Manager either. I think required field must be provided right?? what do you say guys???

Regards,

Naeem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Naeem,

When you mark the fields as Required, you need to create one Validation with expression REQUIRED_FIELDS (this you need to type manually) and set the Execution property to Automatic.

But I think there was some problem with this property, Validation will check the values in all the fields irrespective of the required property.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Instead try using validation with IS_NOT_NULL(Customer ID) .

Set the execution property as automatic.

Regards

Nisha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Naaem,

Just 1 work around.............

Why don't u right 1 assignment to fill Value Of Customer ID automatically if it is Null..........

Assign this step in workflow......... & set the workflow while Importing data.

Thanks,

Maheshwari

former_member202443
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

I find it really strange. Eventhough, I set the property Required as Yes constructing repository, I must have to make a validation to support this property. Theoretically, Required property itself should be mandatory check. Like in DBMSs.

Please do not be nerved by questions. I really do not close the eyes and accept every thing because it SAP world. I am working on the project which has a goal set to find the potential of SAP MDM.

Regards,

Naeem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Naeem,

The only answer to all the above queries is presently Required field property does not solve its purpose.It does really not matter whether required is yes or no.

The validations may it be using REQUIRED_FIELDS() function or is_not_null() for mandatory checks will always get executed no matter whether the required property is set to yes or no.This is an odd behaviour.

I think we need to raise an OSS note for the same.

Thanks,

Minaz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Naeem,

The only reason is MDM in still not stable. Lets wait for MDM 7.1 to release

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

former_member202443
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Minaz,

Thanks for the discussion. What is OSS??? we can raise the problem to responsible department in the SAP.

Regards,

Naeem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

OSS Note is the term for SAP Note. If standard SAP program has any bug or error, SAP will provide small correction instructions patch/note for customers to implement the changes.

To raise a note you need to have certain authorizations for which you need to contact concerned SAP System Admisnistrator in your project or say company.

The link for the same is https://websmp109.sap-ag.de/notes

You need to have a Sid to access this link.

Refer to the below link.

Thanks,

Minaz

Edited by: Minaz Kathawala on Dec 17, 2008 11:33 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Naeem,

The validations are executed only once you try to enter data through data manager.

If you import data through import manager, it wouldnt show you the not null error.

Validations can be automated wherein you can have errors and warnings popped up.

For more help refer to the below link.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_mdm550/helpdata/en/43/e0615f82b40a2ee10000000a11466f/frameset.htm

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Minaz

former_member202443
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Minaz,

I am experienced making Validation within SAP MDM Manager. It runs fine. I only like to use it as Constraints when importing data by Import Manager.

To keep the correct form of the master data it is better when we put Validations, and only those records can be imported when they follow the validation condition.

Do you know any thing that can be used as in substitution of Validation fullfilling the above condition.

Regards,

Naeem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Naeem,

Using MDM Validations before the Master records even enter MDM data manager looks like a difficult situation.

MDM Validations features are designed to Validate teh master records within MDM for that the records have to first enter the MDM system.

Then you can either run the set validations manually using the Records mode context menu option on the records or automatically through workflows as mentioned in my above post.

Hope It Helped

Thanks & Regards

Simona Pinto

former_member202443
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Simona Pinto,

I have understood it. But dont you think it would be much better if could have been used as Constraints. These constraints can be raised by any application which is used to import the data. Like if client saved a record with out any Customer Number how does it check can be implemented.

Within MDM Manager I have understood.

Thanks.

Regards,

Naeem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Naeem,

For this kind of requirement where in you want to mandatory fields check to happen before the records enter MDM.

The only workaround that come to my mind is the use of Customization in the Portal side.

Instead of importing records into MDM,you can create them using the portal front end.Thne in the front end it self you can have some coding done in Java which will take care of such validations and will ensure the master records have the mandatory fields populated before entering MDM.

This is just a suggestion that came to my mind.

But within MDM if you wnat to use Validations then there are certain restrictions to its sue as mentioned in the above post.

Hope It Helped

Thanks & Regards

Simona Pinto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Naeem,

Yes it should be there but since we dont have this kind of functionality in the current versions of MDM we have to find some workaround for this which has already been posted by simona i.e. create a workflow containing Validate step and launch it on the Record Import which will show the errorneous records at the time of importing but it cannot prevent records creation i.e. records will get created and then workflow will get executed.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja