cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Polling interval

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Please help me regarding, how to set polling interval, in case of IDoc-File Scenario.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Sree

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

moorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

There is not required to have polling interval for Receiver File Adapter.

Polling Interval will be set when you need to pick the file and sent into XI. i,e when your scenrio is like File-XI-Idoc/RFC etc.

In your case it is not required.It is required only when you have Sender File Adapter.

Hope this helps..

Pls acknolede

Regards,

Moorthy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info.

What's the Poll Interval we can use in general practice in case of File-XI-IDoc scenario?

Thank you,

Sree

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sree,

In the case of file - XI - IDOC, the polling interval mwill have to be specified in your File Adapter,. Now, the interval to be mentioned depends on how often you wnat the file adapter to scan and search for files.

If u say, 10 seconds, then the adapter will poll every 10 seconds for the file. So, the poll interval you give will be purely on how often the file is to be picked by XI and passed as an IDOC to the external system.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rama,

Just to add on to what others have told. Since your taking an example of a file – IDOC Scenario understand the same…I will also try explaining with that in mind.

In the case of a File – IDOC scenario, The XI Sender File Adapter picks up the file to send to the target/receiving system. The Sender File Adapter can be configured to poll at regular intervals. The polling interval can be set as per the schedule of the extract program. In case the extract is on-demand, then you can set the polling interval to 60 secs or 600 secs. The point is that the interface can be triggered by the File Adapter polling mechanism.

There are a few parameters which you define while configuring the Sender File/FTP Adapter, so I thought I will just tell you what exactly a few of them relating to polling time mean:

1. Poll Interval (secs) - Number of seconds that the adapter must wait if no files are found for processing.

2. Poll Interval (msecs) - Additional waiting time in milliseconds.

- If Poll Interval (secs) is set to null, processing times will be short and close to real time.

- If Poll Interval (secs) and Poll Interval (msecs) are set to null, the adapter is only called once.

3. Retry Interval (secs) - Specify the number of seconds that the adapter is to wait before a file processed with errors is processed again.

- If the value is set to null, then the adapter is canceled if an error occurs, even if a value greater than null is specified for Poll Interval (secs).

While configuring a sender file adapter, a major mistake that we often do is keeping file adapter communication channel polling interval less and in test mode. It is not an error, keeping it in test mode with less polling interval but, often we forget about it, keeping the adapter channel active and it loads the server memory unnecessarily.

The link below will help you understand things better.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/e3/94007075cae04f930cc4c034e411e1/frameset.htm

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/03/80a74052033713e10000000a155106/frameset.htm

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/17/7481b6d5095b42bd804d1815201ebc/frameset.htm

I hope I have answered your query.

Regards,

Abhy

PS: AWARD POINTS FOR HELPFUL ANSWERS.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

Do you want to send idocs repeatedly after each interval? If so, there are standard reports that can be run in the background.Check the abap forum for more details.

Regards,

Smitha

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi rama,

Just to add to what moorthy has told.

In your IDOC to file scenario, as your IDOC will be triggered from your external system , there is <b>no sender IDOC adapter</b>,and so, there oviously is no polling intreval for the same.

In the case of your file, as the file adapter is a receiver file adapter, <b>it will generate your file whenever the IDOC is trigered from your external system and so no polling interval is also required for the receiver file adapter.</b>

For how to do an IDOC to File scenario, refer to this blog,

/people/prateek.shah/blog/2005/06/08/introduction-to-idoc-xi-file-scenario-and-complete-walk-through-for-starters

Regards,

Bhavesh

PS do award points for useful answers

Message was edited by: Bhavesh Kantilal