cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle character set confused

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all:

We installed the Latest NW7.0 SR3 for EP&EP core for my Portal application. After that ,i found that our oralce default character set is UTF-8. But some of other Java codes(Iviews,pages..which we developed on Tomcat envionment.)are based in the environment of Oracle character set ZHS16GBK. So iam confused that The NW7.0 SR3 can only install in 64bit OS and a Unicode system. Can i change the oracle character set from UTF8 to ZHS16GBK. Or how can i install the SAP system whose oracle basing on character set ZHS16GBK.

Thanks everyone.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

When you are dealing with SAP unicode it is better use the use UTF-8 only, if you use other character sets it might work fine now but when you apply patches or version upgrade then you will have lot of problems. Try to use only UTF-8 and never change the charector sets at DB level.

regards

subbarao

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Shao,

ok lets clarify some things at the beginning.

A SAP Java system is not "only using" the database characterset, it is using the national characterset (column types NCHAR, NVARCHAR2, NCLOB). You can check this by reading sapnote #669902.

You can also check sapnote #456968/#695899 for the supported super sets:

=> As of SAP Web AS Release 7.00 and Oracle client 10g, multibyte character sets are no longer supported

With these informations you can not use ZHS16GBK.

> But some of other Java codes(Iviews,pages..which we developed on Tomcat envionment.)are based in the environment of Oracle character set ZHS16GBK

Sorry but i don't understand this sentence.

What is your problem with the java code? Do you have custom tables with column types CHAR,VARCHAR2 or CLOB?

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Stefan Koehler .

I mean : i developed some Java programs in Tomcat which backend oracle character set ZHS16GBK. And i want to deploy them to our SAP NW SR3 EP via SDM. Because the character set different, i have to make some change for my java code, right ?