cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle patch installation from 9.2.0.7 to 9.2.0.8

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Basis Gurus,

I will be doing Oracle patch installation from 9.2.0.7 to 9.2.0.8 on BW 3.5,Sun Solaris 5.9 OS and Oracle 9i DB.

I could find from SAP Note 539921 - Current patch set for Oracle 9.2.0

But i wanted to know that is this command mandatory to exceute "@?/rdbms/admin/utlrp.sql".

When i found from google that the above command will compile the invalid objects.I wanted to know that what do you mean by compiling the invalis objects

Please help me.

Regards,

Anil.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Anil,

metalink note #272322.1 explain your question very well.

+ What is UTLRP.SQL?

This script recompiles invalid PLSQL modules.

NOTE: This script DOES NOT Invalidate any PLSQL modules like utlirp.sql and utlip.sql

+ What this script does?

This script recompiles all existing invalid PL/SQL modules in a database.

This is a fairly general script that can be used at any time to recompile all existing invalid PL/SQL modules in a database If run as one of the last steps during migration/upgrade/downgrade this script will validate all PL/SQL modules (i.e. procedures, functions, packages, triggers, types, views, libraries) during the migration step itself.

+ Any other script called within UTLRP.SQL?

Yes. It invokes utlrcmp.sql

+ When it is best to run UTLRP.SQL?

Although invalid PL/SQL modules get automatically recompiled on use, it is useful to run this script ahead of time (e.g. as one of the last steps in your migration), since this will either eliminate or minimize subsequent latencies caused due to on-demand automatic recompilation at runtime. Oracle highly recommends running this script towards the end of any database migration/upgrade/downgrade.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your support.

I would like to know what does recompile of invalid objects mean?

Also when i execute select count(*) from dba_objects where status='INVALID';

The output it gave me as count(*) = 62.

Suppose if we dont execute utlrp.sql script will it cause any problem later.I am not sure.

Regards,

Anil.

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Anil,

> I would like to know what does recompile of invalid objects mean?

A PL/SQL procedure becomes invalid, if the SQL code is changed or if some referenced tables are changed.

Oracle recompiles PL/SQL procedures by the first call if they are invalid.

> Suppose if we dont execute utlrp.sql script will it cause any problem later.I am not sure.

Maybe. If your PL/SQL procedures are correct, then they will be compiled successfully by the first call. If they have an error it will fail and the session will get an error.

I suggest to execute the script utlrp.sql and take a look which objects are still invalid and why. In this case you know the faulty PL/SQL procedures.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Basis Gurus,

Today we could execute ./runInstaller, and the post installation activity i.e startup migrate,CPU Patch.Now the oracle version is 9.2.0.8.

But we are not sure on OPatch number.

I would like to know about the OPatch number so that we can exceute opatch apply.

We are running on BW 3.5,Solaris 5.9 OS and oracle 9i.

Pls help me.

Regards,

Anil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan/Basis Gurus,

Pls help me.

I want to know the OPatches which is related to BW 3.5,Solaris 5.9 OS and Oracle 9.2.0.8 database.From where can i get the OPatches.

This is beacuse we are doing it for first time for BW 3.5 system in this project.

We recently did a oracle patch installation from 9.2.0.7 to 9.2.0.8.

Regards,

Anil.