cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A humble request to SCN

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I/We want to know all the moderators who are the moderators that are logged in at a certain amount of time.Now that we got information about all the users that are logged on.But I/We want separate thread or page for moderators and users.

We can see for the users here https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/onlineusers.

But I/We want to divide that into members and moderators.

How this can help?.We can moderate them on their performance -> A pure democracy.

I request all members-> Raise your voice.

Regards,

K.P.N

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member184657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Hi,

>

> I/We want to know all the moderators who are the moderators that are logged in at a certain amount of time.Now that we got information about all the users that are logged on.But I/We want separate thread or page for moderators and users.

>

> We can see for the users here https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/onlineusers.

> But I/We want to divide that into members and moderators.

> How this can help?.We can moderate them on their performance -> A pure democracy.

>

> I request all members-> Raise your voice.

>

> Regards,

> K.P.N

Im at loss to understand your motivation to moderate moderator's performance. As has been already said, its voluntary work for every member involved. Its an added responsibility which they have to attend to apart from real-life Production issues for their respective clients. And its no easy task. Especially when they get close to 50 abuse reports a day from me alone, apart from sending them on a wild goose chase of points-hunters. And remember all this just from one member.

Just try and imagine the number of abuse reports they might be getting cumulatively. So what can be done about it? Just keep sending them reports and as sadhu already mentioned, its a collective responsibility of every member to keep SCN clean. So do whatever it takes. You can discourage silly questions and people answering silly questions.

If 3 out of 4 replies discourages a silly searchable question, then the chances are that, there will be no more replies-with-answers to that question. Couple of months back there were was an unofficial moderator team with people like Karthik D, Harsh Dave, Amit, Vijay Babu, Vishwa, Venk@ Reddy, Gautham, yours truly and a few others who literally stemmed the flow of such silly questions. But again because of work commitments, not everyone is active nowadays and that resulted in the rise in these newbie questions and the people who answer them.

If we can re-group and act, then yes, the forum will be much cleaner. 5 abuse reports will automatically lock a thread. if everyone does their bit, then we dont have to sit and wait for the mods to come online

pk

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Yeah. I totally agree with PK. It is really difficult to manage their day-to-day activities and to moderate SCN. I posted a similar question..regarding late action taken sometimes by the moderators for abuse reports. But, then I realized that they have their own desk to manage.

I would like to call this Unofficial team of Moderators which PK mentioned as Mid-Level Moderators or Abuse Reporters. And, it is true that some of the members in the team are right now on Onsite Assignments and are finding it difficult to spare time. But then, I hope that the people who are able to spare time...like me, are doing their best.

And also I feel, some genuine users..or some people from the unofficial team...could be given the authority to lock posts. And later on, when the Moderator finds time...they can take action against the user. This is just an suggestion.

Regards,

Vishwa.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I completely agree with you guys and am very thankfull for it.

It is much more powerfull when misusers of the forums see that they are up against a whole community of forum users, and not just a little gang of moderators.

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have seen the replies and after seeing them I don't want to close this thread because of overwhelming response in support to moderators which proves how much they are effective.Also many contributors want to post their opinion.

@Julius: Too late to close this thread?

Regards,

former_member181995
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> I have seen the replies and after seeing them I don't want to close this thread because of overwhelming response in support to moderators which proves how much they are effective.

KPN,

I'm lost to guessing, why you wants to keep an Eye on Mods Efficiency?

I think you believe in the Mods Efficiency, only when this thread got Kick-out.

Answers (8)

Answers (8)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hopefully next year is better for you...

Good luck,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

oh moderator ;-O all my posts are deleted but why this remained. this is the only reply which is related to sap?

Former Member
0 Kudos

oh moderator ;-O all my posts are deleted but why this remained. this is the only reply which is related to sap?

i am happy if you delete my entire id

Edited by: raghu on Dec 23, 2008 2:22 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> oh moderator ;-O all my posts are deleted but why this remained. this is the only reply which is related to sap?

I think you are seriously messing upyourself and making a fool out of yourself. First, there are some things you should know, that this website is maintained by SAP. And it has some rules to it. It is important and necessary that you follow them If you want to be here.

And coming to the issue of Answering Beginners to their questions, that has been done many a times already and that is why they are recommended or suggested to Search before posting. The first post anyone posts will get a neat reply..but still you dont want to follow rules, then Your thread will be locked and If it is still repeated, then the Id will be deleted.

P.S: For God's sake and all those people who love SAP, it is not "sap", but it is SAP, learn the difference and respect it.

Vishwa.

Former Member
0 Kudos

> i am happy if you delete my entire id

All of them, or just this one?

Former Member
0 Kudos

if i am the only fool in this world i wont worry that much but .................................

your reply wont relate my answer

Former Member
0 Kudos

all of them? if you think all of them do it

bye

Former Member
0 Kudos

Enjoy your Final Moments in SCN!!!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

i enjoyed every bit of it

thank you

Former Member
0 Kudos

oh sorry yes every thing you can delete every thing without a trace

Edited by: raghu on Dec 23, 2008 2:47 PM

former_member181995
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Where Are you K.P.N ?

former_member184657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Im surprised Im not being held responsible for this suicide...

pk

former_member181995
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm Eager to see the Cute face of K.P.N

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes I am in here :). I will upload that one

Former Member
0 Kudos

KPN / KIPANH.

Just to kind of draw a conclusion on the thread...

1. Every individual can help to maintain the health of forum by educating the New comers, encouraging to use the search option.

2. And to empathize with the new comers; I would say, we dont need to eliminate / avoid / outcast them since everyone of us have started some day as a fresher / newbie. But however, there is a responsibility on them that the forum should be used properly(Adhering to the rules of engaement) so that everyone is benefitted with a knowledgeable forum. Its just as good as no one wants to spoil their house.... Feel that sense of ownership.(Not domination).

3. The moderators are for sure trying to do a good job... so no need to and does'nt require to know of it again.

3. I wish a great year for all of us..

Best Regards

Sadhu Kishore

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Sadhu,

Let's have a more peaceful house here. The Gregorian new year and holidays that are being celebrated in some parts of the world offer a great opportunity to say: "goodwill towards all" and a healthy, happy community now, and in 2009.

Marilyn

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just the opposite - I think moderators should be anonymous. That way they would all speak with one voice.

Rob

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rob,

I personally leave my name in a thread when I edited it, so I don't want to be anonymus. But I agree, there shouldn't be something like a let's say benchmarking of the moderators as the activity or time depends on our own working activities and so on. What I would like to see is some kind of feedback of the forum members if the job is done ok or may be too strict or maybe too ledger.

Siggi

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

What I would like to see is some kind of feedback of the forum members if the job is done ok or may be too strict or maybe too ledger.

You're all too ledger

Rob

Former Member
0 Kudos

note: this reply is a reply to all who participated in this discussion keeping every person who is related to sap also members who want whooo moderators

if i have job my answer will be: yes there is no need to moderate moderators.they were perfect they were gods of sdn they were everything in this forum............................just overacting

If i dont have job my reply would be:in india there is a institute for sap in every street which will teach sap with gauranteed sap placement.so sdn can take care of those **** institutes?: no. then who will take care of them?.if standards are there maintain in every thing else keep your **** **** shut.;-(

i feel this will be the frustration of freshers or aspirants trying on sap.if you cant do it then stop every thing which is happening against sap.

freshers will ask basic questions and you must bare them.

actually my reply must be more harsher than this but i refrained ;-).

if you really want how my answer relates to this thread.just ask me of course reply just comes like a bullent from barrel.i am sorry i cant stop using bad words.

Edited by: raghu on Dec 23, 2008 1:23 PM

Edited by: raghu on Dec 23, 2008 1:26 PM

Edited by: raghu on Dec 23, 2008 1:28 PM

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am also signing the "against" form. The overall forum quality matters, no need to break it down to single mods (voluntary) performances.

If the quality is bad or becomes worse and existing mods can't live up to the challenge, new qualified ones should be added.

If it is foreseeable for a mod that he/she can't spend time moderating forums anymore, then I think he should be informing the relevant authorities so they can restock if needed.

The "abuse button" was a nice invention, so anybody can be an "informer" and help out.

Cheers

Thomas

btw I refrained from reporting your post as "vague subject"

former_member181995
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would Suggest to just leave Abuse Report Where Needed.Late But Sure Action Will be Taken

Here Is one Good Example for you,Almost After 4 long months this thread found death :

Above Thread is One of the Most Favorite Thread Of Julius,Which i Often see As Weapon Of him,he used to Bring this Top when he want to leave the message for Folks(Who don't use search and ask Basic quesions)

Cheers,

Amit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

not sure how exactly the number of moderators online would help to rate their performance. A moderator is also an active member on SCN may be answering a forum post, putting a blog etc... So, even if there is an online identification of moderator still it does not mean that he is editing the forum..

For me the basic fact is that any member on the forum can / should make an effort to see that the sanctity is maintained. We can always be proactive to tell a member to follow the rules of engagement.. make efforts to inspire quality. I guess doing that and reporting abuse when required we can also moderate... and we dont need to be an official moderator for that.

Best Regards

Sadhu Kishore

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi KPN,

I guess you would need to know who the moderators are first, in which case you can look up their name in the "onlineusers" list.

Another trick (which I often use) is to look on the Contributions tab in the Business Card. This shows the last logon date and time, and considering that we need to logon about 10 times per day to stay online, this is also reliable.

Which brings me to the KPI (Key Performance Indicator)... I don't think that time spent online is an indicator for anything. Some forums require virtually no moderation and the annual event of someone asking for ponits creates a great round of discussion about how shocking it was to see such a thing.

In ABAP forums, this only happens about 5 times a day, approximately, now.

There was a discussion about governance and auditing of moderators once before. It was interesting and I find it healthy to think about stuff like that, as you appear to have as well. When I first started moderating, I was surprised that no one was telling me what to do.. I think the participation at SDN is also self-regulating to a large extent which also includes the additional little moderator tasks to catch that which is too far below the tolerance limits.

The other extreme (which also caters for everyone, including moderators) is taken care of in a similar way... this function is fulfilled by the [motley crew|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motley_crew] in the Coffee Corner...

The best measurement of all in my opinion is still the quality of the contributions, and that should be the main intention behind the actions of moderators in my opinion. That is actually also my main reason for participating and where I can with the moderation.

It is quite a selfish motivation in fact...

Cheers,

Julius

former_member181995
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Another trick (which I often use) is to look on the Contributions tab in the Business Card. This shows the last logon date and time, and considering that we need to logon about 10 times per day to stay online, this is also reliable.

> Which brings me to the KPI (Key Performance Indicator>

...For me it is "Low Performance Indicator".I'm worried About your "Trick" as thinking how much "Reliable" it is!!

For your trick here is One Live Example:

And Below are statistics About Which you are talking about.

Last login: 24/11/2008 14:09:25 GMT

Do You Think, Is this Correct?

Another "Trick"(Which I often use) is to Click on Name(From any Forum) and Click on Last Post,atleast this would Give you [close to Correct Facts|https://forums.sdn.sap.com/profile.jspa?userID=881880].

@K.P.N There is No reason To see the "Online Users",As among of them You don't know much of them or even never mat their posts.So better to Concentrate and look Only at those Guys with you atleast read their post frequently.By Clicking their names from any post and pick their last post(But only Last 5 posts would be shown) i'm sure this will give you [close to correct information|https://forums.sdn.sap.com/profile.jspa?userID=3698116]

Cheers,

Amit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

True, sometimes the BC gets confused between similar names - but as in Rob's case it is obviously wrong, and as in my case it is correct (except it shows the current server time, and not "my time").

Another trick would be to use an as anonymous as possible second account to post some forbidden words with, then report yourself in the abuse reports system and wait to see who edits it...

Still, Sadhu's approach is better than all my tricks added together!

Cheers,

Julius

Edited by: Julius Bussche on Dec 14, 2008 8:41 AM

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I feel that even the information about the logged in users is just to give you an information as how much this SCN is powerful and how many members are benefitted from this. In the case of Moderators, in what way, you are going to be benefitted ??

On your comments "We can moderate them on their performance", sorry I have a second opinion on this view and this sentence could have been avoided.

thanks

G. Lakshmipathi

jurjen_heeck
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I request all members-> Raise your voice.

Against.

We don not want to keep an eye on volunteers because that will only chase them away. As much as posters are voluntairily helping out colleagues with SAP issues, the moderators help us by keeping the forums tidy on the same voluntairy basis.

If I were to be 'judged on my production' being either a member or a moderator I would immediately have my account deleted.

There's no pure democracy here. If there was these forums would be overcrowded with greedy quick-fix-seekers unwilling to try anything themselves and shouting pointhunters. In the present situation the rules are made and enforced by a small minority. It's not ideal, but democracy would surely worsen things.