cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Implementing SRM-MDM with WebDynpro ABAP or JAVA and OCI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have the following situation at one of our clients.

They have implemented the SRM-MDM catalog. Via MDM the SRM server displays the catalog via ITS.

Now I want to make a WebDynpro which can talk to SRM-MDM catalog and sends the data to the shopping cart and then to SAP. How to do this? Is this possible?

It is also possible to make an iview in the portal, which reads the catalog directly from MDM. Then another iView with my own WebDynpro. Via portal eventing, I can receive which item is clicked in the catalog. Then I can show the right webdynpro view. Can I then directly call the BAPI in SRM to send the order?

What is OCI in this case exactly? Do I need that? I am new on this topic, any help is appreciated.

Sandhya

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are you basically trying to put a new User Interface (UI) on top of MDM because you do not want to use the standard MDM UI? If so, then yes you could write a custom WebDynpro and use the MDM API. We evaluated WebDynpro as an option, but instead we built a new Adobe Flex based UI that sits on top of the MDM Catalog and it totally awesome! There is a sample on our website (www.simplifying-it.net), but we are making some changes to the look/feel... however, the sample demo on the website should give you an idea.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mark,

Just for curiosty, what was the reason(s) why not using WD4A/4J instead of Adobe Flex? We are considering to develop a custom UI that also can be integrated into SRM SC, would like to know if other customers have done this before.

Appreciate your comment.

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Main reason for us is that we wanted more flexibility to easily do whatever we wanted and Flex provided this for us. It is also very easy to add new functionality which we did as well.

WD is not easy to change (in my opinion). Also, when we started, WD did not render xml... I think this has changed since then though. WD also did not provide control over the rendering.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Young,

Sorry, I did not fully answer your question. Yes, other customers have created a new UI on top of SRM shopping cart. We have a solution already for this using Adobe Flex. I also have a friend on another project that is building a new front-end using WD and to be honest it looks pretty ugly (in my opinion). The fact is that WD will not look much better than native SRM whereas Flex makes it look much, much better.

masa_139
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

Are you going to implement custom Shopping Cart application with WenDynpro? or Custom Catalog with WebDynpro?

Regards,

Masa

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you look it in a flow then.

standard MDM iView -> custom WD application with call to BAPI to put order in shopping cart.

The standard MDM iView en custom application will talk with each other through portal eventing.

Edited by: Sandhya Banwarie on Dec 19, 2008 2:17 AM